Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, since this is my first post, let me introduce myself. I'm an old home converter. I converted a Porsche 914 to electric in 1995. I followed the progress of JB and several other well known hobbyists on their builds. I loved it when I heard Tesla was forming and I have followed the progress closely ever since. Great to see how well Tesla is doing and it looks like they are here to stay! I've been a long time lurker to this site, but just recently registered.

In addition to my conversion, I'm currently a Leaf owner and I have had intentions of purchasing a Model S since I first heard about it. The biggest thing that has been holding me back was that it costs so much and would not serve me much better than my current situation with a Leaf and a Prius due to the distances I travel for work. I've been very excited about this supercharger network ever since it was first hinted. The announcement last week was better than I could have hoped. Now I can purchase a Model S and it can replace both of my current cars (leaf/prius) and that really exicites me.

It is funny, I accidently discovered the supercharger in Folsom last Saturday, and then today, I'm hoping that I made another discovery. I've heard that there is a possibility of a supercharger location at the intersection of CA-152 and I-5, or more specifically Santa Nella. ( https://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.099805,-121.015396&num=1&t=h&gl=us&z=20 ) During the presentation there was a dot near this location on the two year map. This location would be perfect for me as I have lots of customers who I visit frequently in this area, and I always travel back through this intersection on the way home. A supercharger location here would just about seal the deal for me and I'd put down the deposit and get in line for my one year wait...perhaps less, but who knows.

Anyhow, the question is: does anyone have a list of specific locations that Tesla is planning to place the superchargers? Or is the map with dots the best we can do at this point? The lot next to McDonalds, In and Out, Quiznos and Starbucks seems like a good location, right on the freeway. The lot seems like the right size for an alien rocket and its solar carport.

Michael

20120928-220834.jpg

20120928-220844.jpg

Last edited:
Bummer, they now have a sign up on the fence for this construction site. Coming soon: Panda Express. I'm not very excited about another bad food choice at this intersection. I was very excited to think they were installing a supercharger. Hopefully someday soon we will have a general idea of when and where Tesla will be installing these on the two year plan.

So I was stalking the under-construction Tesla showroom in Tyson's Corner VA, and came across a new set of well-lighted, Tesla-branded charging bays in the garage outside. There were two "high-power chargers" mounted on the wall there - nothing to specifically indicate they were superchargers, but the electrical service to each charger was rated for 600V/100A AC. :)

Given the location (a major shopping center in Northern VA at the intersection of several key interstate highways) it does seem to make sense, in any case. Will be curious to see if they formally introduce these chargers with the opening of the new showroom...

Given the location (a major shopping center in Northern VA at the intersection of several key interstate highways) it does seem to make sense, in any case. Will be curious to see if they formally introduce these chargers with the opening of the new showroom...

It makes sense from the standpoint of them owning the property, etc. Driving down 95, though, I would stick to the eastern side around the beltway as there is far less traffic (and it's shorter). Would go out of the way if I needed a charge, though.

Is the store in Tysons II?

It makes sense from the standpoint of them owning the property, etc. Driving down 95, though, I would stick to the eastern side around the beltway as there is far less traffic (and it's shorter). Would go out of the way if I needed a charge, though.

tyson's is a horrible location for a supercharger. If you're "driving through" the area on 95, you'd be on the opposite side of the beltway for starters. It's also always awful trafficwise in that particular area. Add an extra half hour just to get off/on the highway at certain times of day. Overall, i'd expect there are some much better highway or just off highway locations either north or south of the metro DC area...

Just like Disney in the late 60s, there will be no formal announcements of where Tesla will put the chargers until the land is purchased/leased/etc. If they announce where they want them, the land owners in that area will jack up the prices or will refuse to sell and only lease with exorbitant rates. It is good that we don't know exactly where. It is good for the better of us all. Plausible deniability. Or something of the sort.

It's actually in Tyson's I (the big mall, not the galleria) - I would have thought that the galleria would be a better location for them, especially given how truly awful the traffic situation is at the original mall.

From a general location standpoint, Tyson's Corner doesn't make as much sense for the folks headed north/south on 95, but for anyone headed to points west (out 66 or up 270 towards PA/WV) it does work better. If this is a supercharger location, it's definitely not as easy to get to as some of the official locations already up and running in CA. Still, I won't complain - I may drop by for a top-off on the few times my work takes me out that way...