Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Deposit Payment Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used Visa. Not that I'm thinking of it, but would cancellations just see the money put back on the card???

Depends on how long after the reservation you do it. Normally, merchant accounts allow 30-90 day refunds by default and you can request special permission to make up to a 365 refund either on a one-time or permanent basis. I'm guessing for refunds beyond a year, they just cut you a check.

On a related note. Has anyone who has taken out a loan attempted to put their down payment on a credit card or AMEX? Some of them offer ~2% or at least 1% cashback, which can be significant on a ~40k down payment.

I think that question was posed to Tesla by someone. Only checks (even personal) and EFTs apparently for the downpayment (over and above the original $5,000 deposit); Tesla would have to swallow the 2-3% commission on the credit card transaction otherwise.

I paid my P reservation on VISA two years ago, the upgraded to Sig when a slot became available last June. My rep said NO to putting the +$35k deposit on VISA, instead they said wire transfer or check. I fed-ex them my check, and they paid for the fed-ex.

I think that question was posed to Tesla by someone. Only checks (even personal) and EFTs apparently for the downpayment (over and above the original $5,000 deposit); Tesla would have to swallow the 2-3% commission on the credit card transaction otherwise.

That's quite possible -- I only did the 5k at the event (left my checkbook and let Bonnie get the jump on me)

I was able to use an Amex back in May when placing my Model S reservation. But today when wanting to place a Model X reservation, Amex was not an option. Paypal was an option, however, and I used my Amex with Paypal. I can't see how that would be beneficial to them considering that both Paypal and Amex get a cut.

I used AmEx for the original 5k deposit, but I don't think I got any cash back. Don't places like Costco/Sams club negotiate with CC companies for special rates, but then cash back/bonus things don't work with them.
for those of us reserving 1-2 years ago, tesla could have made more than 2-3% in interest, or at least more than 2-3% in value of not having to raise that cash some other way. [excluding those of us from WA state where the money is locked up somewhere]

AMEX usually gives you points towards travel and/or other things unless you have the Blue Cash. Most CC companies make their money from the interest they get (since most people keep a balance) so they'll readily waive the transaction fee for large retail chains like Walmart or Costco. I don't know if Tesla is a big enough company but since they're financing through Wells Fargo, I figured that'd be sufficient to get the CC companies to waive the fee. Or at the very least, if you used a Wells Fargo CC, there'd be no fee to Wells Fargo...