Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercharger for the Roadster (Elon said "No")

Quote Originally Posted by TEG View Post
    I think we have speculated about this in the past, but my opinion is that it would be a lot more than just a "software issue".

The Model S with Supercharging capability likely has newer generation cell technology that could be more amenable to quick charging. As far as I know, the existing Roadster ESS has no provision to allow external DC connection to hook to a 'supercharger'. There could be cooling issues. Of course they would need to test any such changes extensively, and I doubt that would make financial sense for them to provide it. Sure, conceptually it is a nice idea, but I think it is unlikely that they would go to the effort of re-engineering things for a small number of Roadsters that would be willing to spend money on such an upgrade.

With all that said, all we can really do is wait and see if they do something...
    maybe they transplant the charging/supercharging system from Model S into the Roadster!
    Is this doable?

Roadster and the Superchargers

From what I understand, the MS is the only Tesla that can utilize the SC. Is there a way to mod the Roadster to be able to use the SC?
    Sorry if this is an old topic.
    Thanks

If you do search of the forums with "Roadster Supercharger" as keywords you come up with this thread:
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...r-the-Roadster
    Because there are tons of crazy people in this world...

This question was asked at the shareholder meeting today. Elon said the Roadster doesn't have the proper bypass relays to send the DC directly into the battery. (I hope I paraphrased that correctly).
    Model S 60kWh, Catalina white, white roof, tan, obeche gloss, tech, 19", air suspension, twin chargers, supercharger access, rear jump seats, parcel shelf. VIN 3606

Quote Originally Posted by dfdtruckie View Post
    From what I understand, the MS is the only Tesla that can utilize the SC.
    While strictly speaking this is "correct", there's more to the story.

Tesla has produced two models: Roadster and Model S. There are flavors of both.

Of those two, the Model S supports supercharging (though some are software limited).

Elon stated at the supercharging announcement that future vehicles will have supercharging capabilities. So in the future, the quote above will be incorrect. FYI.

Update - Here's the portion of interest:
    Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    12b. So future vehicles will support... ?
    All future cars will have that capability [SC].
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Tesla is posting a lot of stories on their Facebook page about new supercharger station openings. Forum members should get on the page and comment about the lack of ability to charge their Roadster at these stations. Tesla Motors is actively responding to some comments on their Facebook page.

Couple relays? Ok, that's a start. Sooner or later TM will enable SC for the Roadsters. Bit by bit the design will accrue and the kit will be made available. And Roadster owners will absorb the expense willingly so they can thereby enjoy the SC network or sell their much improved Roadster to someone else who will. I see no losers in this scenario. Why should we pretend otherwise?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by NapaValleyMike View Post
    Tesla is posting a lot of stories on their Facebook page about new supercharger station openings. Forum members should get on the page and comment about the lack of ability to charge their Roadster at these stations. Tesla Motors is actively responding to some comments on their Facebook page.
    Excellent idea and I posted a comment about Roadster support. Hopefully if enough of us politely remind them they may adapt.

Good idea. I shall post the same comment regarding Roadster and Supercharging on every one of their facebook posts. Shame them into giving in. Excellent idea.

Quote Originally Posted by NapaValleyMike View Post

I posted several comments today on their official Facebook page about the inability of Roadsters to use the current charging stations. Please keep up the pressure and help me out. installing a few NEMA 14-50 high amp plugs is not too much to ask....

Thread Information