Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercharger for the Roadster (Elon said "No")

Supercharger for the Roadster (Elon said "No")

What do you think about the use of the Supercharger for the Roadster? DC-Charging should no be a big problem, more an software issue.

I would also like the idea to replace the Roadster socket with the Model S ones. Then Model S and Roadsters can charge from the same source without adapters?
    Roadster EU#421 156.000km MS Sig P85+ 68.000km

From one of the e-mails that I sent, they are working on conversions from the Roadster inlet to Model S inlet. (I do wish that it would be done faster.)

I think that I posted that reply in one of the Model S threads.

EDIT: Found it. Adapter: Roadster HPC to Model S - Page 4
    Last edited by W.Petefish; 2012-09-28 at 06:38 AM.
    If it is worth doing, it is worth OVER doing. - Mythbusters

Debunking Pseudoscience is fun!

Arctic White Roadster 2.5 #1200, S Sig Performance Vin# 227, HAM: KF5WDB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberhard View Post
    What do you think about the use of the Supercharger for the Roadster? DC-Charging should no be a big problem, more an software issue.

I would also like the idea to replace the Roadster socket with the Model S ones. Then Model S and Roadsters can charge from the same source without adapters?
    No, it would require massive hardware changes.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Items for Sale

Icon5

Doug, in your opinion, if an owner was upgrading their Roadster with some / all of the "supposed" upgrades (PEM / Motor / Software / etc), if these new upgrades were robust enough to handle SC, would there still be a signiificant amount of work (cost) to complete in order for SC to work on a Roadster?

Thanking you in advance for your thoughts...
    Member Southern Ontario Tesla Owners Club

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    No, it would require massive hardware changes.
    Yeah, Just one look at the Supercharger cable lets you know that.

Name:  IMG_2333.JPG
Views: 1176
Size:  1.21 MB
    Would be a good feature to add to the racing package that Joost is assembling though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaff View Post
    Doug, in your opinion, if an owner was upgrading their Roadster with some / all of the "supposed" upgrades (PEM / Motor / Software / etc), if these new upgrades were robust enough to handle SC, would there still be a signiificant amount of work (cost) to complete in order for SC to work on a Roadster?

Thanking you in advance for your thoughts...
    The cabling would certainly have to be upgraded. It could even impact the battery pack itself, depending on how the wiring is designed.

It could also affect the hardware for the control processors, since there's some kind of two-way digital communication between the car and the Supercharger (to control the current among other things).
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

One thing that would be easy for Tesla to implement would be 70 amp charging for the Roadster. The 6kw public charging is painful on a trip. A 70 amp option would make travel MUCH easier in a Roadster as more than 300 miles in a day is about all one can do with public chargers.
    Last edited by dhrivnak; 2012-11-16 at 04:49 PM.

Better to install a separate socket on the roadster for the supercharger plug since it is going 'directly' into the batt and not into the PEM.

If one uses 12 panel string of solar collectors, a popular scheme, then you have 372v @ 7 amps x number of strings. This would seem to be a possible (direct) charging source for the roadster batt. I wonder if this would work just by itself with little or no control circuitry. If a cloud went by hopefully there would be no discharging of the batt. Under full sun charging would resume. Full sun vs shade just changes the amps; voltage remains ~the same.
    --

I think a separate socket would be a more difficult upgrade as you have to modify every car and a 70 amp charger should be off the shelf.

And while the nominal voltage of the pack is 375 a full pack is 400V and it must be carefully controled or you will destroy the cells. I have been there and done that on some conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by Eberhard View Post
    What do you think about the use of the Supercharger for the Roadster? DC-Charging should no be a big problem, more an software issue...
    I think we have speculated about this in the past, but my opinion is that it would be a lot more than just a "software issue".

The Model S with Supercharging capability likely has newer generation cell technology that could be more amenable to quick charging. As far as I know, the existing Roadster ESS has no provision to allow external DC connection to hook to a 'supercharger'. There could be cooling issues. Of course they would need to test any such changes extensively, and I doubt that would make financial sense for them to provide it. Sure, conceptually it is a nice idea, but I think it is unlikely that they would go to the effort of re-engineering things for a small number of Roadsters that would be willing to spend money on such an upgrade.

With all that said, all we can really do is wait and see if they do something...
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

Thread Information