Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger for the Roadster (Elon said "No")

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Eberhard

#421 Model S #S32
Oct 17, 2010
Germany
What do you think about the use of the Supercharger for the Roadster? DC-Charging should no be a big problem, more an software issue.

I would also like the idea to replace the Roadster socket with the Model S ones. Then Model S and Roadsters can charge from the same source without adapters?

Doug, in your opinion, if an owner was upgrading their Roadster with some / all of the "supposed" upgrades (PEM / Motor / Software / etc), if these new upgrades were robust enough to handle SC, would there still be a signiificant amount of work (cost) to complete in order for SC to work on a Roadster?

Thanking you in advance for your thoughts...

No, it would require massive hardware changes.

Yeah, Just one look at the Supercharger cable lets you know that.

IMG_2333.JPG

Would be a good feature to add to the racing package that Joost is assembling though.

Doug, in your opinion, if an owner was upgrading their Roadster with some / all of the "supposed" upgrades (PEM / Motor / Software / etc), if these new upgrades were robust enough to handle SC, would there still be a signiificant amount of work (cost) to complete in order for SC to work on a Roadster?

Thanking you in advance for your thoughts...

The cabling would certainly have to be upgraded. It could even impact the battery pack itself, depending on how the wiring is designed.

It could also affect the hardware for the control processors, since there's some kind of two-way digital communication between the car and the Supercharger (to control the current among other things).

One thing that would be easy for Tesla to implement would be 70 amp charging for the Roadster. The 6kw public charging is painful on a trip. A 70 amp option would make travel MUCH easier in a Roadster as more than 300 miles in a day is about all one can do with public chargers.

Last edited:
Better to install a separate socket on the roadster for the supercharger plug since it is going 'directly' into the batt and not into the PEM.

If one uses 12 panel string of solar collectors, a popular scheme, then you have 372v @ 7 amps x number of strings. This would seem to be a possible (direct) charging source for the roadster batt. I wonder if this would work just by itself with little or no control circuitry. If a cloud went by hopefully there would be no discharging of the batt. Under full sun charging would resume. Full sun vs shade just changes the amps; voltage remains ~the same.
--

I think a separate socket would be a more difficult upgrade as you have to modify every car and a 70 amp charger should be off the shelf.

And while the nominal voltage of the pack is 375 a full pack is 400V and it must be carefully controled or you will destroy the cells. I have been there and done that on some conversions.

What do you think about the use of the Supercharger for the Roadster? DC-Charging should no be a big problem, more an software issue...

I think we have speculated about this in the past, but my opinion is that it would be a lot more than just a "software issue".

The Model S with Supercharging capability likely has newer generation cell technology that could be more amenable to quick charging. As far as I know, the existing Roadster ESS has no provision to allow external DC connection to hook to a 'supercharger'. There could be cooling issues. Of course they would need to test any such changes extensively, and I doubt that would make financial sense for them to provide it. Sure, conceptually it is a nice idea, but I think it is unlikely that they would go to the effort of re-engineering things for a small number of Roadsters that would be willing to spend money on such an upgrade.

With all that said, all we can really do is wait and see if they do something...

I think we have speculated about this in the past, but my opinion is that it would be a lot more than just a "software issue".

The Model S with Supercharging capability likely has newer generation cell technology that could be more amenable to quick charging. As far as I know, the existing Roadster ESS has no provision to allow external DC connection to hook to a 'supercharger'. There could be cooling issues. Of course they would need to test any such changes extensively, and I doubt that would make financial sense for them to provide it. Sure, conceptually it is a nice idea, but I think it is unlikely that they would go to the effort of re-engineering things for a small number of Roadsters that would be willing to spend money on such an upgrade.

With all that said, all we can really do is wait and see if they do something...

maybe they transplant the charging/supercharging system from Model S into the Roadster!
Is this doable?

From what I understand, the MS is the only Tesla that can utilize the SC.
While strictly speaking this is "correct", there's more to the story.

Tesla has produced two models: Roadster and Model S. There are flavors of both.

Of those two, the Model S supports supercharging (though some are software limited).

Elon stated at the supercharging announcement that future vehicles will have supercharging capabilities. So in the future, the quote above will be incorrect. FYI.

Update - Here's the portion of interest:
12b. So future vehicles will support... ?
All future cars will have that capability [SC].

Tesla is posting a lot of stories on their Facebook page about new supercharger station openings. Forum members should get on the page and comment about the lack of ability to charge their Roadster at these stations. Tesla Motors is actively responding to some comments on their Facebook page.

Couple relays? Ok, that's a start. Sooner or later TM will enable SC for the Roadsters. Bit by bit the design will accrue and the kit will be made available. And Roadster owners will absorb the expense willingly so they can thereby enjoy the SC network or sell their much improved Roadster to someone else who will. I see no losers in this scenario. Why should we pretend otherwise?
--

Tesla is posting a lot of stories on their Facebook page about new supercharger station openings. Forum members should get on the page and comment about the lack of ability to charge their Roadster at these stations. Tesla Motors is actively responding to some comments on their Facebook page.

Excellent idea and I posted a comment about Roadster support. Hopefully if enough of us politely remind them they may adapt.

Good idea. I shall post the same comment regarding Roadster and Supercharging on every one of their facebook posts. Shame them into giving in. Excellent idea.