Page 45 of 255 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    I agree w/ MikeK. The "general population" buys smartphones and computers and those things (be it Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc) have tons of bugs all the time. I've had to reboot such devices an innumerable number of times yet I keep buying and using them because so far the benefits outweigh the pain. Cars are becoming the same way.

That being said, 3 days in our car has been flawless.
    They also buy washers, dryers, refrigerators, stoves and such with non-trivial software components these days and there isn't much forgiveness for bugs there. I think a car is more like those items than the ones you mentioned. Obviously we see that differently, but the point is Tesla is going to have a sizable chunk of customers with low bug tolerance.

I've got a question about the buzzing ambient lights. Everyone keeps saying that they expect a software update to fix the problem. I'm a bit confused. It seems like this is a hardware problem. Forgive my ignorance, but how would a software update fix the ambient light buzzing?
    P85 VIN55228. Black and tan w/ Carbon Fiber decor, spoiler, coils, Pano, Reus audio (To be installed), 20" Avant Garde M310s (Matte Black), tech, parking sensors, premium lighting.
    (Original Model S, now in hEaVen: VIN 1653, S85, Dolphin Gray)

Model S - R140
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    It can get depressing when you read through this thread and see all the problems. But then I remember that this is where everybody with a problem is talking about it, so you should expect to hear about a lot of problems here. Then I go out in to the garage and see the car we've been driving since September, and I feel a lot better - we are not having any issues with it.

Every car has issues. Are Teslas having more than most? Could be, but I'm not sure, and don't think we can tell by reading this thread. It will be interesting to see once JD Power or somebody surveys owners.

Something even more important than the issues a car has is how the manufacturer addresses them. So far Tesla has done a great job on that. (Yes, communication could still be better).
    The way you talk about bugs in software sounds like someone who used to work at Microsoft---oh, wait.
    Model S - R140 - 5YJSA1DN4CFP01275 - 85kWh, Dolphin Gray, Black Leather, Piano, Tech, Audio, Suspension, 19", Pano, Twin, HPWC.

Quote Originally Posted by efusco View Post
    Push it with bugs and fix it in the updates I say. Little quirks like that are minor inconveniences, the benefits of the added functionality are WELL worth it.
    This way, we can feel more involved in the process of developing the best car in the world. (?)
    AndyM - Model S P85 竜 - Portland, OR - www.PDXTesla.com local organizer.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    I've got a question about the buzzing ambient lights. Everyone keeps saying that they expect a software update to fix the problem.
    Not sure who said that. From what I understand it is a hardware fix. Only software fix would be "if ambient lights = on then set screen brightness to 100".

When I use an LED bulb with a dimmer at home, it hums until i raise the power to the max. This is because the LEDs cannot deal with the modified signals. Doubt that can be fixed via software. You can fix it on your own by buying an old style ambient bulb that fits in there.

Has anyone noticed that in the last few pages on this thread , there has not been any reports of new problems.

R#129, TSLA shareholder
    Has anybody else noticed a very low-frequency rumble when you first start the car? I'd guess it's 15-20Hz, and it lasts maybe 30 seconds if that. It seems to be tied to whether or not climate control is turned on.

Wasn't sure if this was just a normal thing or if I might have a bum compressor or something.

Quote Originally Posted by nolngrgrsngslde View Post
    Has anyone noticed that in the last few pages on this thread , there has not been any reports of new problems.
    Oops.
    R129 - 85kWh White/Tan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Has anybody else noticed a very low-frequency rumble when you first start the car? I'd guess it's 15-20Hz, and it lasts maybe 30 seconds if that. It seems to be tied to whether or not climate control is turned on.

Wasn't sure if this was just a normal thing or if I might have a bum compressor or something.

Oops.
    I think it is the heat pump, turning off climate control makes it stop.
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    I've got a question about the buzzing ambient lights. Everyone keeps saying that they expect a software update to fix the problem. I'm a bit confused. It seems like this is a hardware problem. Forgive my ignorance, but how would a software update fix the ambient light buzzing?
    There are many possibilities, because the line between hardware and software is much blurrier these days. "Firmware" can mean software executed in a microprocessor or it can mean configurable digital logic in an FPGA. Or both - my company uses FPGAs that contain soft-core microprocessors; you can modify both the hardware and software for those processors simply by changing the FPGA firmware.

Another simpler possibility is that there is a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal being generated by a microprocessor, which is used to regulate the brightness of the lights. They could alter the PWM frequency to make it inaudible.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    No car yet for me so I can't confirm but it might be this, from Model S Owner's Guide p. 14: "When Model S starts, you may hear the compressor as it fills the system’s reservoir with air."

Wouldn't be tied to climate control...just offering it as a possibility.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    There are many possibilities, because the line between hardware and software is much blurrier these days. "Firmware" can mean software executed in a microprocessor or it can mean configurable digital logic in an FPGA. Or both - my company uses FPGAs that contain soft-core microprocessors; you can modify both the hardware and software for those processors simply by changing the FPGA firmware.

Another simpler possibility is that there is a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal being generated by a microprocessor, which is used to regulate the brightness of the lights. They could alter the PWM frequency to make it inaudible.
    Thanks...that makes sense.
    P85 VIN55228. Black and tan w/ Carbon Fiber decor, spoiler, coils, Pano, Reus audio (To be installed), 20" Avant Garde M310s (Matte Black), tech, parking sensors, premium lighting.
    (Original Model S, now in hEaVen: VIN 1653, S85, Dolphin Gray)

Thread Information