Page 41 of 248 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Psullivan View Post
    Hi, When you say the car is borderline undrivable with traction control disabled what do you mean exactly?
    The car is borderline uncontrollable at posted road speeds if moisture or any contaminants are present on the asphalt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PRJIM View Post
    The car is borderline uncontrollable at posted road speeds if moisture or any contaminants are present on the asphalt.
    Sounds like someone has a lead foot
    I'm now curious. I may have to disable TC (I've never done it in the Model S) to see what kind of power is being held back!
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    I'm now curious. I may have to disable TC (I've never done it in the Model S) to see what kind of power is being held back!
    I don't recommend it when it's raining.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

On the roadster disabling T/C does make the vehicle somewhat uncontrollable but on the Model S it goes to a whole new level. The car is pretty much useless if T/C is disabled and especially if the surface you are running the car on is not pristine. Any decent romp of the accelerator results in lateral motion and experienced hard corrections are required to make sure the vehicle goes in the direction intended.

My Model S Ambient Light "buzzes" - I hear this is not uncommon.

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    The buzz should go away if you turn up the lighting level above 80%. But, they do need to fix that in software.

It has been my experience that anything with north of 300hp is "borderline un-driveable" or a little hard to control on less than ideal surfaces. Horsepower over 400 is mostly a high speed item with little or no use at lower speeds. Porsche's AWD turbo 99x series seem to make good use of it but I have a 550 that will literally spin the tires at 60 mph by simply rolling into the throttle in third gear (TC off of course). I've been tempted to buy cars with more horsepower (the 458 comes to mind) but always find myself asking the question "Why?".

Anyway, TC lets you enjoy the power you have available without the need for cat like (or Montoya like) reflexes. If you really want to play, just find a skid pad at the local track and ask them to wet it down. Get a driver coach, turn off the TC and practice your CPR (Correct, Pause, Recover). It's a real hoot in just about any car and a lifesaver in one you drive every day. It's well worth the couple of hundred dollars it takes to make it happen.

I have a small buzz at 100% and a bad one at anything lower.
    P427 Performance White/Tan

It can be great fun. Just be sure you have an open parking lot and some room to play.

Tesla Model S Signature Performance delivered on 10/31/12
    Signature Red | White Leather | Carbon Fiber | Panoramic Roof | 21" Grey Wheels| Rear Spoiler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PRJIM View Post
    On the roadster disabling T/C does make the vehicle somewhat uncontrollable .....
    I disagree with that as a blanket statement, but you're right in so far as it takes a good, experienced driver to handle that much power without TC. I grew up racing cars and there's a few other roadster owners who to the track regularly, I've driven he roadster without TC and its kinda exhilarating but get it wrong and you're toast. Haven't tried Model S without TC but I'd like to that at the local track or airfield with plenty of space for the first time out.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. nice video dailydriver, that you driving?

Thread Information