Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FOUND: Model S J1772 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the sentiment, but given that only a small percentage of Model S owners are likely to peruse this forum, better off taping a note to the charging station that is rephrased so as to require the caller to know what was left behind, not the where.

Probably a good idea to label it with your name and phone #.

- - - Updated - - -

The Tesla Ownership folks think they know who is belongs to. Someone came into the service department needing to buy one.

I guess I would reiterate LABEL YOUR ADAPTER. Apparently the person that they identified who came into the service dept needing a new
adapter was NOT the one who left this one behind. So it has happened twice already!

How much for a new adapter?

This is why I think the procedure should be:
lock adapter to car charge port
connect J1772
charge
disconnect J1772
remove adapter from charge port

If the car is unlocked (and hence the charge port unlocked) when you disconnect the J1772, more often than not the friction between the J1772 and the adapter is greater than the friction between the adapter and the car, and it comes out with the J1772 paddle. You need to then pull it off the paddle.

I swear I still can't figure out what algorithm the car uses to decide when to lock itself down. Sometimes it stays locked when I approach it with the fob, sometimes not. Pressing the button on the fob always unlocks it.