Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery inspection list?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to be armed with a checklist that I can use when my car is delivered. I'm not as much of an auto nut as many people here are, and could use some help. I've read about issues at the factory like "gaps", and things that are "slightly offset", and these are the sorts of things I would like to be able to look for, but wouldn't know where to begin. This is in addition to more obvious things, like paint chips, missing floor mats, or whatever. Perhaps we can use this thread to list things out (easy and hard ones). I (and other non-experts) would appreciate it if the items were as specific as possible; something like: "Inspect gap between rear trunk and body, ensure not more than (x) millimeters."

Thoughts?

Here is one I found online that is generic. Delete the ICE stuff:

http://www.sjsu.edu/fdo/docs/PredeliveryInspectionChecklist.pdf

ALSO:

Checklist

Here's your checklist. Copy it and take it with you when you take delivery of your car.

1.Proper operation and orientation ride.

2.Before driving your vehicle, check:

◦Seat belt and child safety device operation.
◦Mirror adjustment.

3.Be sure you understand:

◦How to start and operate the car.
◦Steering column and seat adjustments.
◦How to operate the stereo.
◦How to operate the cruise control.
◦How to operate the climate controls.
◦Where the air bags are located.
◦Location of the trunk, hood and gas tank door opening levers or buttons.
◦Emergency procedures.
◦Operation of the security system.
◦Location of the fuse box.
◦Service station information.
◦Vehicle specifications.
◦Appearance care.
◦Consumer protection plan.

4.Service and Maintenance: (Review with the dealership person.)

◦Maintenance schedule.
◦Service manuals.
◦The Warranty folder and know what you have to do when.

5.Ask to see and meet: (Get cards of department managers).

◦Service Department.
◦Parts Department.
◦Body Shop.

6. Check that all add-on and standard features are included about the automaker's consumer protection plan with your vehicle:

◦Examples of standard features:

■Owner's manual
■Spare tire
■Jack
■Tools.

◦Examples of add-ons (options) you may have purchased:

■Mats
■Stereo upgrade (play your favorite CD)
■Power windows and door locks
■Security system (ask for demonstration)
■Power seats

7.Read your purchase or lease agreement carefully.

8.Did dealer prepare car carefully and completely?

◦Headliners in place?
◦Seat backings in place?
◦Spare tire inflated?

My advice is to not get overly enthralled with the shiny new car. I know it's hard - at least for me. It'll be harder yet with Model S since you probably haven't seen too many of those in person. But, summon up the inner-Elon in you and look for problems, especially with paint, since it can be hard to prove that exterior flaws weren't from damage on your first drive. That said, Tesla was great with a paint flaw I discovered very late on my Roadster, probably because it was apparent that the paint flaw had been clear-coated over. If you live near a Tesla store, find a time when the store isn't crowded and pretend the display or test drive model is your car. Look over it, trying to find flaws in the finishes.

Also, do make sure you're receiving all the parts your should be getting (J1772 adapter, floor mats, tire repair kit, etc.), and that the sticker includes all the options you actually ordered.

Otherwise, you can rely on Tesla's top-notch service to take of anything you find later. Things like gaps or stereo not working are clearly fixable under warranty, so I wouldn't worry too much about those at delivery time. Don't let them show you how to do something with the car - get instruction and then do it yourself while they watch. If they operate things you won't remember how to do it yourself, unless you have someone video taping the whole process (which I'm sure we'd all like to see, anyway!).

My advice is to not get overly enthralled with the shiny new car. I know it's hard - at least for me. It'll be harder yet with Model S since you probably haven't seen too many of those in person. But, summon up the inner-Elon in you and look for problems, especially with paint, since it can be hard to prove that exterior flaws weren't from damage on your first drive. That said, Tesla was great with a paint flaw I discovered very late on my Roadster, probably because it was apparent that the paint flaw had been clear-coated over. If you live near a Tesla store, find a time when the store isn't crowded and pretend the display or test drive model is your car. Look over it, trying to find flaws in the finishes.

Also, do make sure you're receiving all the parts your should be getting (J1772 adapter, floor mats, tire repair kit, etc.), and that the sticker includes all the options you actually ordered.

Otherwise, you can rely on Tesla's top-notch service to take of anything you find later. Things like gaps or stereo not working are clearly fixable under warranty, so I wouldn't worry too much about those at delivery time. Don't let them show you how to do something with the car - get instruction and then do it yourself while they watch. If they operate things you won't remember how to do it yourself, unless you have someone video taping the whole process (which I'm sure we'd all like to see, anyway!).

Yes, this is exactly the sort of stuff I'm talking about. But can you be more specific? Such as how much of a gap is too much, and where specifically should I be looking for gaps? I definitely want to channel my inner Elon.

Yes, this is exactly the sort of stuff I'm talking about. But can you be more specific? Such as how much of a gap is too much, and where specifically should I be looking for gaps? I definitely want to channel my inner Elon.

I don't believe anyone has come up with a set of specifications for gaps. Probably the best thing to do is look at the earlier pictures posted in the forum (the Nov 11 test rides) and see what bad gaps look like. For what it's worth, the cars at the Get Amped in Dallas didn't have any gap problems that were noticeable.

Here is one I found online that is generic. Delete the ICE stuff:

http://www.sjsu.edu/fdo/docs/PredeliveryInspectionChecklist.pdf
Interesting -- I count 29 of the 64 items on this list as irrelevant on a BEV. In fairness, there might be 3-4 items that need to be added on to compensate.

- - - Updated - - -

The serious panel issues aren't about a gap being too large or small, but unevenness. Lines should match across a panel gap. A panel on one side of a gap should not be higher than the panel on the other side. The gaps between two panels should be utterly uniform along the entire length (do you remember the early Lexus commercials, in which a ball bearing was rolled down a panel gap?). Use your hands, not your eyes.

Thought so.

We are going to go with buying a separate wheel and tire just incase.

Since I already scuffed up (minor) one of my wheels, instead of spending $125 to repair it is there any value in getting a 5th rim and tire to replace the scratched one and keeping the old one in the garage as a spare? I realize I wouldn't have it with me for a flat but I'd just get towed to my house and then change the tire there. I could also maybe fit it in the frunk if I deflated the tire but I'd have to see if it fit.

I've been posting my Model S Delivery Checklist Google Doc over on TMF for the last six months.

It has now grown to about 13 pages and includes many post-delivery tips, tricks and suggestions so I've renamed it the "Model S Delivery Checklist and Owners Guide". I update it every few days with info that I pick up here and on TMF.

It will be useful to any new or prospective owners, but should also for any current owners who are interested in tweaks, wrinkles, or accessories.

Please post any feedback here, or on the TM forum in this thread

Nick...

Have them show you where the small battery in front nose is so if the battery ever discharges and the windows go down
which is what it does so you can access the car when this happens -
this way you know where to change the small battery
on your own versus the charge fee they charge you to come and do it
Due to any power out and it is not charging plan for what it does when it discharges -
Always prepare for a spare tire to match what is on it - it probably will not fit in the car but be aware of the tire
make model and research locally to you who may carry in stock in case you need one put on
and get familiar with local tow companies and shops that can work on it if needed for something that is not covered -
Check all underframing for seals being properly installed and scrap pieces not hanging from where they may have not trimmed them off so when you find them do not pull or you break body seals
If you have to have both tags on it for your state make sure they drill the hole in nose plate to put on front plate holder

@Real Data Pro:

There is no small battery in the nose, only the charging posts. The battery is in the rear passenger side of the frunk and is not easily changed.
The spare tire WILL fit in the frunk, but generally tire inflation kit with sealant is the recommended solution to a flat - or Ranger Service.

Good suggestion about researching local suppliers/prices for tires.

I've never seen a report of loose seals and scrap pieces. I'm only including some of the more common or problematic delivery problems in the doc; if you can point me to a thread where this is a problem I'll add it.

Some people prefer mounting the front plate on the front grille not the nose cone, so don't think it is a good idea to recommend drilling at first delivery.

I've been posting my Model S Delivery Checklist Google Doc over on TMF for the last six months.

It has now grown to about 13 pages and includes many post-delivery tips, tricks and suggestions so I've renamed it the "Model S Delivery Checklist and Owners Guide". I update it every few days with info that I pick up here and on TMF.

It will be useful to any new or prospective owners, but should also for any current owners who are interested in tweaks, wrinkles, or accessories.

Please post any feedback here, or on the TM forum in this thread

Nick...

@Nick Under "Delivery Questions" item 11 I don't see any Windows Phone apps (Tesla Connect for WP 7.5 and 8, and Tesla Commander for WP8 only)
These apps are not from tesla.