Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long subscribed threads switch from "instant" notification to "none"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
A number of threads that I've long been subscribed to stopped sending me email notifications of new posts. When I just checked my subscribed thread list I noticed they had been switched from "Instant" notification to "none", and I never made that change. I changed them back to "instant", but what happened?

I noticed that a newer thread that I replied to was giving me no notifications, and when I checked on settings notifications was set to "none", is that now the default? Meanwhile, now all my instant notifications threads are sending me notifications for each reply, when in the past I'd only get a notification for the first new post after my last visit, and no more notifications until I visited the thread.

Just checked on my subscribed threads, after I went and set them all at "Instant" this morning, and now, with no new replies yet, the notification setting for the More anti-ev gibberish thread has mysteriously changed back to "None". Actually, going beyond the first page of my subscribed threads I see the GM Chevy Volt thread also says "None", as does the Model S vs BMW 5 Series thread. Those seem to be the only ones at this point, though I only went through 10 of my 22 pages of my subscribed threads.

Sure, I always use instant notifications on all the boards I follow, and it's usually the default setting when you post into a thread. Usually it works fine, but with this new format it's been odd. Normally I'd get one notification per thread until I visited that thread, then after visiting and reading all the new posts, I'd get another notification for any new posts after that, etc. Now sometimes I get many notifications for the same thread, I think the new feature of adding a new post onto an existing post if from the same person might be causing some of the problem, but I have no idea why some of my notification settings randomly get switched to "None". Happened sometime last night and again sometime this morning as I mentioned. I take it I'm the only one with this issue? Maybe the sheer volume of threads I'm subscribed to is causing the issue, though I have even more on the DIY board and it's never been a problem.

Just noticed that the More Anti EV Gibberish thread had been switched to "none" again. I had been going through the thread and was composing a post, I'll have to see if threads that I spend more time on, either reading, or posting, are the ones that are affected.

In the mean time try this, when you reply click "Go Advanced" and scroll down to "Additional Options" and see what it says there wrt subscriptions.

Just when I thought the problem went away I noticed my notifications to the Hansjorg von Gemmingen thread had been changed to "None". Did as you suggested above and the subscription option for the thread says "Through my control panel only" instead of instant. Don't know how that change happened since I never did it.

I opened a support ticket, but so far I've had no useful help. "Through my control panel only" is the default subscription setting for most users. I wanted you to check "Additional Options" since my suspicion is that when you reply to threads your subscription setting is being reset. I'll check to see if there is anything in the error logs, but this feels like it's going to take a while to troubleshoot.