Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm struggling to find information about the Tesla Roadster's warranty. I'm assuming it has one (I think there has been talk about a 5 year battery warranty, but I can't find anything solid...)

I was just thinking about how much ZAP!'s 6-month warranty said about their quality expectations, but then I realized I had no idea what Tesla was offering...

-Ryan

That "rust and corrosion" part made me grin. I can see the final version now:

"If any body panel rusts, ever, even 200 years from now, Tesla will replace said body panel at no cost."

(Sure, I know there are other metal parts that might conceivably rust...I just thought it was funny to think about a rust/corrosion warranty on a carbon fiber car.)

Anyway, on the larger question....these things have been in "regular series production" for two weeks...where's the warranty!? Can they really deliver these things to customers while still saying "we're working on it?"

Tesla Motors - think
Warranty

Tesla has established a comprehensive warranty for the Roadster. The 3 year/36,000 mile base warranty covers all aspects of the car for defects in materials and workmanship. The battery pack is part of this comprehensive warranty. Details about the warranty will be covered in your owner's documentation.

Tesla will offer an extended warranty option at no cost to 2008 Roadster Club members, extending the coverage to 4 years/50,000 miles. Purchasers of later model year Roadsters will be offered the extended warranty at additional cost.

The battery pack is expected to last longer than the warranty period, although repairs beyond the warranty period will be charged at regular part and labor rates.

All high-energy lithium ion cells experience a gradual loss in maximum capacity based on usage levels, time, and other factors. Your owner's documentation will include information on expected behavior of the battery over time and the factors that affect the rate of wear.

I'm curious what the current details are on the warranty. Is there a separate battery warranty? What are the terms?

There's a warranty guide in the oweners' area (though the version for the 2010 car is actually the EU one, for whatever reason). Essentially, it's 3 years/36,000 miles bumper-to-bumper and 5 years/50,000 miles for the SRS (seatbelts/airbags). The audio system is 1 year/12,000 miles.

There's no separate battery warranty, and there are exclusions in the main warranty for abusing the battery (leaving it unplugged at 0 charge, storing it unplugged at very high/low temps, etc.)

I seem to remember that they were selling an extended warranty with the car. I forget the terms, however. I was concerned that the company wouldn't last that long, so I didn't buy it. If they offer it to me again toward the end of my initial warranty (and they look like they're doing well), I probably will.

I recently had the PEM die in my car, and the service guys drove out the next day and replaced it in the garage at work (while I watched). No charge.

Interseting though that in the "test drive but decided not to buy" thread that they got a weak salesperson.

One person I gave a ride to called the LA store and later called me to say the person on the phone was bitchy. He was inteersted in a Model S but still..., are Tesla store personnel just great to owners????

extra warranty no longer offered in the EU?

My car was delivered in september. For whatever reason, the TM homepage section "about your car" still says "locked in for production ;-)
Therefore, I can see how they change prices and options based on the configuration I have chosen.
In the meantime, the following things have changed:
  1. price for electronis group (premium sound) dropped down from 3.000-something if I remember right to now 800,00 EUR
  2. Tire Pressure monitoring system is now on extra cost, EUR 330,00
  3. Home connector still not listed in the list
  4. I purchased my car with an additional waranty for additional 3 years/60.000km on top, now good in total for 6 years/120.000km whatever comes first. price was 4.000,00 EUR. This option is now since about 2 month no longer in the selectable list.

Warranty for used Tesla

Does anyone know what part of the warranty is transferable? I didn't see anything on the Tesla site or wikipedia but on a used car site (http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/791-Tesla-Roadster-Electric) it says:

"This example is the 48th of just 100 roadsters built in the Signature One Hundred series which are equipped with all options available at the time of production and supplied with an extended bumper to bumper transferable warranty for 4 years or 50,000 miles."

Is that the case for all Signature One Hundred roadsters? What about the battery?

Interseting though that in the "test drive but decided not to buy" thread that they got a weak salesperson.

One person I gave a ride to called the LA store and later called me to say the person on the phone was bitchy. He was inteersted in a Model S but still..., are Tesla store personnel just great to owners????

Care to name and shame?

If there are a couple of bad apples, that is not good.