Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Typing into the Center Console Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This question is for owners that have received their cars. When surfing the www using the center console display, how do you enter text...does a virtual keyboard pop up as with an iPhone or iPad? I wonder if you could carry a portable USB keyboard to enter text while using the web...(not while driving of course). :)

This question is for owners that have received their cars. When surfing the www using the center console display, how do you enter text...does a virtual keyboard pop up as with an iPhone or iPad? I wonder if you could carry a portable USB keyboard to enter text while using the web...(not while driving of course). :)

Entering text is very easy with the keyboard since it is rather big.

People have gotten pretty good at texting while driving. Why not some smartphone app to connect to the car? KIDDING!!

:biggrin: If by good, you mean they think it doesn't make them crazy hazardous, and they do it more often then yes. :eek:

Georgia put in a law about 2 years ago 'banning' texting and driving. I thought it was a stupid law. I mean who would be dumb enough to text while driving about 50 in the left two lanes, drifting in and out of them, of the interstate where the average speed in those lanes is 75+ mph. Oh that is right about 10% of people.

I try not to even talk on my phone in the car. I end up doing it about 1 call every month, and most of the time for less than a minute. Texting I have generally stopped, but at red lights I am familiar with I have been known to text a 'yes' or 'no' or 'in X mins' out really quick.

Many phones have apps now that will read texts to you and allow you to compose via voice as well. Windows phone has this natively and Model S was supposed to have it as well. I'm guessing it will come with voice control, but I don't see why it can't at least read them to you now...

Anyone with a model s and phone paired see this happen?

I would love to see a Dvorak layout on my 17" screen. Yes, I'm a geek. But it's way superior to QWERTY. One big reason I switched to Android, actually, from the iPhone. I'll have to put in a request (and expect it in 2014). It would be incredibly simple to program, just requires time. Dosbox uses a quick and easy mapper; is it harder with 'virtual keys'?

Not to go too far off-topic, but headset, iPhone, and Siri has worked well for me for texting while driving. Siri catches some flac in the press, and sometimes you do have to dictate your message twice for her to get it right, but it works pretty well for me and I never take my eyes off the road. "Text my wife 'leaving now'." Done.

I would love to see a Dvorak layout on my 17" screen. Yes, I'm a geek. But it's way superior to QWERTY. One big reason I switched to Android, actually, from the iPhone. I'll have to put in a request (and expect it in 2014). It would be incredibly simple to program, just requires time. Dosbox uses a quick and easy mapper; is it harder with 'virtual keys'?

I also use dvorak layout. It would be awesome to have that in the car. I have QWERTY on my phone (symbian).

My point is that if using the on-screen keyboard, people will mostly likely be tapping with one finger. A feature like Swype would allow you to input text faster and easier, regardless of key arrangement.

Here's an ancient demo. (uploaded in 2008)

Edit to add slightly less ancient vid (2010)

- - - Updated - - -

I also can't see a bluetooth keyboard being easier to use in the car (driving or not) than the onscreen.
If I were parked for a while and had an email to write, I'd probably prefer a wireless keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here it is:

_85C3276.jpg

I only have to say it once with my android's speech recognition.

Ha!

Love it! Never had a problem with voice recognition on my Android devices either.

My point is that if using the on-screen keyboard, people will mostly likely be tapping with one finger. A feature like Swype would allow you to input text faster and easier, regardless of key arrangement.

Swype would work well with the vertically oriented screen. I have Swype installed on my tablet, and when it is in landscape mode, it actually takes me more time to Swype (wider keyboard, longer distance to travel) than to use something like the default keyboard or Swiftkey.