Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First New England supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New York isn't New England! <pff> The most useful one for me is the White River Junction one. It looks like there's one slated for the New London area, which would help on the way to NYC from Boston (although that's not really the shortest time or distance, which would be on I-84 -- a fact I'm betting the Californians didn't consider). Since that's the "main line" SC, I'd bank on that being first.

New York isn't New England! <pff>

Fair point... I was trying to be kind to them... They have live in NY, so... It's gotta be tough. :)

The most useful one for me is the White River Junction one.

That's an interesting point I hadn't considered. Having one "north" would allow for trips to skiing, leaf-peeping, etc... It would also be consistent with Teslas strategy of locating chargers in less populated areas (versus New London which is pretty packed with people).

In judging White River Jct the better location, I was being completely self-centered. I wouldn't consider driving to NYC; the Acela is so much better (and still all-electric!). But my dear friends in southern Quebec, and my client in Hanover? The WRJ charger is perfect for these.

New York isn't New England! <pff> The most useful one for me is the White River Junction one. It looks like there's one slated for the New London area, which would help on the way to NYC from Boston (although that's not really the shortest time or distance, which would be on I-84 -- a fact I'm betting the Californians didn't consider). Since that's the "main line" SC, I'd bank on that being first.

Robert, a while back you posted your wislist for super chargers in the North East. If TM followed through with the super charger plan as depicted in the announcement, where would you have them add super chargers next?

Assuming they do the one in New London (which I agree isn't really the right place for NY-Boston), I think they should put one somewhere on 128 just W of Boston, perhaps at the junction with the Mass Pike in Newton. There's a lot of traffic that goes through or just around Boston headed N or S and the current plan seems to have a pretty big hole right at Boston for people on their way someplace else.

Hopefully they'll listen to some of our suggestions, there probably should be one in western MA, at say the junction of I84 for the alternate way to NY/CT, and it also covers the Berkshires (sort of). Lets hope Tesla survives long enough to get the nationwide deployment done... They are making the cars very slowly, probably having supplier issues, their over extended on every front. Something has to give...

Robert, a while back you posted your wislist for super chargers in the North East. If TM followed through with the super charger plan as depicted in the announcement, where would you have them add super chargers next?
First, let's start with the question, what superchargers are currently in Tesla's plans that serve New Englanders? Best guesses from the "Within Two Years" map:
  1. Niantic CT (junction of I-95 and I-395)
  2. Lebanon NH (junction of I-91 and I-89)
  3. Albany NY (junction of I-90 and I-87)
  4. Woodbridge NJ (junction of I-95, I-295 & Garden State)
(I include #3 and #4 because they'll be useful in longer-haul driving out of New England.)

To those four, add "Long Term Plan" SCs at:
  1. Boston (presumably Newton area, junction of I-90 and I-95/MA-128)
  2. Montreal
So, what do these accomplish? Here's the mileage between various points, excluding pairs > 250 miles:

BostonProvidenceHartfordPortland MENewtonNianticLebanonAlbanyWoodbridgeMontreal
Newton1345901200102130156232
Niantic11261452101020189154150
Lebanon1241701461481301890132
Albany1601611102301561541320165222
Woodbridge244208145
Montreal

What's missing? My opinion, of course:
  • Hartford (junction of I-91 and I-84): bridges NYC to Lebanon and to Boston (without the Niantic detour)
  • Portland area: opens up all the Maine recreation areas (Bar Harbor, ski areas, etc.)
  • Wareham MA (junction of I-495 and I-195): 200 miles from Albany and 105 from Niantic. Opens up Cape Cod from the west.
That still leaves some long runs, so I'd begin backfilling some spots:

• I-90: Charlton rest areas. Strategically located east of the I-84 junction and west of Worcester, this would be very useful on many runs (from south up to NH ski areas, and the east-west traffic generally)
  • Danbury: 110 miles west of Charlton, just east of the I-84/I-684 split. Lets drivers bypass NYC using the Tappan Zee bridge (I-684) or head westward towards Scranton.
  • Concord NH (junction of I-93 and I-89)
  • St. Johnsbury (junction of I-93 and I-91)

Last edited:
How about if instead of the one planned in Niantic, they put one in New Haven? It's about the same distance to Boston and serves both the Conn Turnpike and Rt 84. It's a bit further to the Cape, but still doable.

The absence of locations serving the Cape and Maine are real issues IMHO. I live close to 495 and we avoid the highway Northbound on Friday afternoons and Southbound Sunday afternoons because it's a parking lot due to people going to Maine and S. New Hampshire. Between vacation homes, skiing, leaf peeping, and N.H. shopping traffic, it's a mess.
Traffic down to the Cape is notorious. We don't go to the Cape during the summer.

Nice job on the chart, Robert. I agree, WRJ/Lebanon is a logical place to start. And I also agree with Concord NH & St. Johnsbury.

Another one to consider would be Rutland, VT (junction of US 4 and US 7) - a lot of tourist traffic on both of these routes.

Albany/Montreal seems like a stretch at 222 miles. Would be nice to see something half way up I-87 around exit 29 or 30. There's not much for services at those northern exits, but there are rest areas.

Nice job on the chart, Robert. I agree, WRJ/Lebanon is a logical place to start. And I also agree with Concord NH & St. Johnsbury.

Another one to consider would be Rutland, VT (junction of US 4 and US 7) - a lot of tourist traffic on both of these routes.

Albany/Montreal seems like a stretch at 222 miles. Would be nice to see something half way up I-87 around exit 29 or 30. There's not much for services at those northern exits, but there are rest areas.
Rutland is a good add -- I don't know the Vermont side of the region as well as the coast.
The run up I-87 is in New York, so that'd be off-topic! But I agree, something along the way would make sense; trouble is, after Lake George (which is less than 100 miles from Albany), you're driving through the wilderness -- not much to do while you charge! I'll let people who know I-87 suggest locations.

- - - Updated - - -

How about if instead of the one planned in Niantic, they put one in New Haven? It's about the same distance to Boston and serves both the Conn Turnpike and Rt 84. It's a bit further to the Cape, but still doable.
Yep, New Haven would be my pick over Niantic -- the dot on the map seemed further east than New Haven, though. The fact that my daughter is at Yale has nothing ​to do with my preference for that location, of course. ;-)

Yep, New Haven would be my pick over Niantic -- the dot on the map seemed further east than New Haven, though. The fact that my daughter is at Yale has nothing ​to do with my preference for that location, of course. ;-)

I second the notion that either New Haven and/or Hartford would be much more useful than Niantic.
Oh, and you should talk to the Director of Sustainability at Yale to badger them into installing HPWCs there. Make sure they don't install wimpy 30A units because your daughter will most definitely feel you have overstayed your welcome waiting that long for a charge! Besides, what you're paying for tuition would buy at least 40 HPWCs a year!

And Concord is at the junction of I-93 and I-89.

I second the notion that either New Haven and/or Hartford would be much more useful than Niantic.
Oh, and you should talk to the Director of Sustainability at Yale to badger them into installing HPWCs there. Make sure they don't install wimpy 30A units because your daughter will most definitely feel you have overstayed your welcome waiting that long for a charge! Besides, what you're paying for tuition would buy at least 40 HPWCs a year!

And Concord is at the junction of I-93 and I-89.
They'll probably ask me to endow the HPWC if I were to ask! Bleh. (Fixed the Concord junction; thanks)

George Blankenship said that the next 1,200 (!!!!) locations have already been planned.
But what is the order...

The Boston to DC corridor is a priority, time will tell.

I have a lot of faith in Tesla's ability to look far down line. Still it does not make sense to me that they would look this far. Where people like to travel when they travel more than 200 miles is highly personal. The people who buy and drive the S and the X and beyond will continually evolve in ways that is not completely predictable at this point. Why not use the data of our driving habits which can be collected from the vehicles to drive the supercharger locations beyond the initial skeleton network of superchargers?

Last edited:
Robert nicely thought out chart.
Agree on the St. Johnsbury (junction of I-93 and I-91) except where do you locate it?
I've just come back from several business trips to the area but
finding a "decent" place to eat was nearly impossible. In fact if anyone knows one please share it since I have to go back.

Why not use the data of our driving habits which can be collected from the vehicles to drive the supercharger locations beyond the initial skeleton network of superchargers?

Because if the distance where there are no superchargers is long, then we won't be going there because there are no superchargers so no data from those areas will be collected. All the data will show is which superchargers get used the most--not where new ones (other than to reduced SC congestion) should go.

At the Natick store opening I buttonholed a couple of the sales people about the New London proposed Supercharger station. I was trying to get them to report back to Tesla that there is an argument for opening it in New Haven instead. Not sure if it had any effect, they didn't seem very receptive to suggestions unfortunately.

Because if the distance where there are no superchargers is long, then we won't be going there because there are no superchargers so no data from those areas will be collected. All the data will show is which superchargers get used the most--not where new ones (other than to reduced SC congestion) should go.

Good point Jerry. However, just because there is not a supercharger on a route does not mean someone will not use some other form of charger. If TM were able to collect data on non super charger charging during long distance travel, then this still might aid in choosing optimum super charger locations. If nothing else, they could monitor these forums for destinations people were having trouble reaching. We could even vote for locations. Based on observations like robert boston's and others in this thread alone, I would say TM still has something to learn about New England before committing to 2nd and 3rd stage deployment of New England Super Charger locations.