Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First New England supercharger?

First New England supercharger?

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the location of the first New England supercharger? I'm thinking on the north side of New York... But that might be wishful thinking. Do you think we'll find out this Thursday at the Natick store opening?

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    New York isn't New England! <pff> The most useful one for me is the White River Junction one. It looks like there's one slated for the New London area, which would help on the way to NYC from Boston (although that's not really the shortest time or distance, which would be on I-84 -- a fact I'm betting the Californians didn't consider). Since that's the "main line" SC, I'd bank on that being first.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    New York isn't New England! <pff>
    Fair point... I was trying to be kind to them... They have live in NY, so... It's gotta be tough.

The most useful one for me is the White River Junction one.
    That's an interesting point I hadn't considered. Having one "north" would allow for trips to skiing, leaf-peeping, etc... It would also be consistent with Teslas strategy of locating chargers in less populated areas (versus New London which is pretty packed with people).

In judging White River Jct the better location, I was being completely self-centered. I wouldn't consider driving to NYC; the Acela is so much better (and still all-electric!). But my dear friends in southern Quebec, and my client in Hanover? The WRJ charger is perfect for these.

New York isn't New England! <pff> The most useful one for me is the White River Junction one. It looks like there's one slated for the New London area, which would help on the way to NYC from Boston (although that's not really the shortest time or distance, which would be on I-84 -- a fact I'm betting the Californians didn't consider). Since that's the "main line" SC, I'd bank on that being first.
    Robert, a while back you posted your wislist for super chargers in the North East. If TM followed through with the super charger plan as depicted in the announcement, where would you have them add super chargers next?

Model X #1417
    Assuming they do the one in New London (which I agree isn't really the right place for NY-Boston), I think they should put one somewhere on 128 just W of Boston, perhaps at the junction with the Mass Pike in Newton. There's a lot of traffic that goes through or just around Boston headed N or S and the current plan seems to have a pretty big hole right at Boston for people on their way someplace else.

Hopefully they'll listen to some of our suggestions, there probably should be one in western MA, at say the junction of I84 for the alternate way to NY/CT, and it also covers the Berkshires (sort of). Lets hope Tesla survives long enough to get the nationwide deployment done... They are making the cars very slowly, probably having supplier issues, their over extended on every front. Something has to give...
    Model S Reservation: P10010 (July 2nd 2012), MVPA signed 12/4/2012, delivered 1/17/2013, VIN: 03245
    I support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

Quote Originally Posted by mikevbf View Post
    Robert, a while back you posted your wislist for super chargers in the North East. If TM followed through with the super charger plan as depicted in the announcement, where would you have them add super chargers next?
    First, let's start with the question, what superchargers are currently in Tesla's plans that serve New Englanders? Best guesses from the "Within Two Years" map:
    1. Niantic CT (junction of I-95 and I-395)
    2. Lebanon NH (junction of I-91 and I-89)
    3. Albany NY (junction of I-90 and I-87)
    4. Woodbridge NJ (junction of I-95, I-295 & Garden State)

(I include #3 and #4 because they'll be useful in longer-haul driving out of New England.)

To those four, add "Long Term Plan" SCs at:
    1. Boston (presumably Newton area, junction of I-90 and I-95/MA-128)
    2. Montreal

So, what do these accomplish? Here's the mileage between various points, excluding pairs > 250 miles:
    Boston Providence Hartford Portland ME Newton Niantic Lebanon Albany Woodbridge Montreal
    Newton 13 45 90 120 0 102 130 156 232
    Niantic 112 61 45 210 102 0 189 154 150
    Lebanon 124 170 146 148 130 189 0 132 184
    Albany 160 161 110 230 156 154 132 0 165 222
    Woodbridge 244 208 145 232 150 165 0
    Montreal 184 222 0
    What's missing? My opinion, of course:
    • Hartford (junction of I-91 and I-84): bridges NYC to Lebanon and to Boston (without the Niantic detour)
    • Portland area: opens up all the Maine recreation areas (Bar Harbor, ski areas, etc.)
    • Wareham MA (junction of I-495 and I-195): 200 miles from Albany and 105 from Niantic. Opens up Cape Cod from the west.

That still leaves some long runs, so I'd begin backfilling some spots:

• I-90: Charlton rest areas. Strategically located east of the I-84 junction and west of Worcester, this would be very useful on many runs (from south up to NH ski areas, and the east-west traffic generally)
    • Danbury: 110 miles west of Charlton, just east of the I-84/I-684 split. Lets drivers bypass NYC using the Tappan Zee bridge (I-684) or head westward towards Scranton.
    • Concord NH (junction of I-93 and I-89)
    • St. Johnsbury (junction of I-93 and I-91)
    Last edited by Robert.Boston; 09-27-2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Correction re Concord

Model X #1417
    How about if instead of the one planned in Niantic, they put one in New Haven? It's about the same distance to Boston and serves both the Conn Turnpike and Rt 84. It's a bit further to the Cape, but still doable.

The absence of locations serving the Cape and Maine are real issues IMHO. I live close to 495 and we avoid the highway Northbound on Friday afternoons and Southbound Sunday afternoons because it's a parking lot due to people going to Maine and S. New Hampshire. Between vacation homes, skiing, leaf peeping, and N.H. shopping traffic, it's a mess.
    Traffic down to the Cape is notorious. We don't go to the Cape during the summer.

Nice job on the chart, Robert. I agree, WRJ/Lebanon is a logical place to start. And I also agree with Concord NH & St. Johnsbury.

Another one to consider would be Rutland, VT (junction of US 4 and US 7) - a lot of tourist traffic on both of these routes.

Albany/Montreal seems like a stretch at 222 miles. Would be nice to see something half way up I-87 around exit 29 or 30. There's not much for services at those northern exits, but there are rest areas.
    2013 Model S Performance
    VIN 5348, Delivered 3/9/13
    Pearl White, Black, Pano, 21" Silver, Carbon, Tech, Sound, Twin Chargers

Thread Information