Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to Bring to the DMV in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
Items included in the FedEx packet from Tesla:
MCO (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin)
Bill of Sale
Application for Registration which signed by Tesla (called Application for Texas Vehicle Title, form VTR 130-U)

Items to bring with you:
photo ID
checkbook to cover any expenses (tax plus fees)
proof of insurance (might not have to be the Model S but any car you currently have registered)
copy of final MVPA that has taxable amount and tax + registration fees owed

If you are transferring vanity plates from old car to Model S, drive old car to DMV and then bring both plates (physically take plates off of car) into DMV. They'll transfer them to your new car and issue new registration stickers for old and new car. Also, they can reissue new generic TX plates for old car.

Note: I'm trying to double check to make sure this is all accurate. If you see any corrections needed, please post below. Thanks.

Comments:
  1. You can register your Model S and get license plates at your County Tax Office once you receive the FedEx the packet with the above items, even if you don't have the Model S. Once you get the Model S and put plates on it, you can drive it to an inspection station for a state inspection.
  2. The application Tesla sends you is an Application for Texas Vehicle Title, form VTR 130-U.
  3. The final MVPA may not show the tax, title and registration fees to be paid these days, but you can figure that 6.25% of the "Subtotal of Taxable Items" (item F on my MVPA) plus $95.25 will be collected by the County Tax Office.

Thanks for TXjak, Lynn005 and Sublimaze1 for updating this information

Last edited:
> check from Tesla to Texas for sales tax [ dsm363]
> title for car from Tesla

Told me they called my county clerk for the sales tax figure so TM can pay that directly ahead of time, due to my taking delivery in CO. So within TX, who knows?

Title can only be created in & by the individual state. All TM provides is the MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin).
--

> check from Tesla to Texas for sales tax [ dsm363]
> title for car from Tesla

Told me they called my county clerk for the sales tax figure so TM can pay that directly ahead of time, due to my taking delivery in CO. So within TX, who knows?

Title can only be created in & by the individual state. All TM provides is the MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin).
--

You're correct. Thanks. They just send you the 'Certificate of Origin For A Vehicle'. You use that with the From 130-U they send you.

Don't you wish everything was this easy?:smile: