Thread: What to Bring to the DMV in Texas

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar

What to Bring to the DMV in Texas

Items included in the FedEx packet from Tesla:
    MCO (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin)
    Bill of Sale
    Application for Registration which signed by Tesla (called Application for Texas Vehicle Title, form VTR 130-U)

Items to bring with you:
    photo ID
    checkbook to cover any expenses (tax plus fees)
    proof of insurance (might not have to be the Model S but any car you currently have registered)
    copy of final MVPA that has taxable amount and tax + registration fees owed

If you are transferring vanity plates from old car to Model S, drive old car to DMV and then bring both plates (physically take plates off of car) into DMV. They'll transfer them to your new car and issue new registration stickers for old and new car. Also, they can reissue new generic TX plates for old car.

Note: I'm trying to double check to make sure this is all accurate. If you see any corrections needed, please post below. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TXjak View Post
    Comments:
    1. You can register your Model S and get license plates at your County Tax Office once you receive the FedEx the packet with the above items, even if you don't have the Model S. Once you get the Model S and put plates on it, you can drive it to an inspection station for a state inspection.
    2. The application Tesla sends you is an Application for Texas Vehicle Title, form VTR 130-U.
    3. The final MVPA may not show the tax, title and registration fees to be paid these days, but you can figure that 6.25% of the "Subtotal of Taxable Items" (item F on my MVPA) plus $95.25 will be collected by the County Tax Office.

Thanks for TXjak, Lynn005 and Sublimaze1 for updating this information
    Last edited by dsm363; 12-06-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: updated with latest information from TXjak
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Thanks! Now if only I can remember this thread several months from now when it's time for mine to be delivered
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

> check from Tesla to Texas for sales tax [ dsm363]
    > title for car from Tesla

Told me they called my county clerk for the sales tax figure so TM can pay that directly ahead of time, due to my taking delivery in CO. So within TX, who knows?

Title can only be created in & by the individual state. All TM provides is the MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin).
    --

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wycolo View Post
    > check from Tesla to Texas for sales tax [ dsm363]
    > title for car from Tesla

Told me they called my county clerk for the sales tax figure so TM can pay that directly ahead of time, due to my taking delivery in CO. So within TX, who knows?

Title can only be created in & by the individual state. All TM provides is the MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin).
    --
    You're correct. Thanks. They just send you the 'Certificate of Origin For A Vehicle'. You use that with the From 130-U they send you.

Don't you wish everything was this easy?
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

There is more current information on this topic over here: Texas registration issues
    Last edited by TXjak; 12-06-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: changed link to the entry of interest
    Solar Powered, Black, 60kWh, Twin chargers, Superchargable, Tech Pkg,
    Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, Tan leather & Lacewood interior.

(Model S No. 3821, home since 9am, Jan 29th, 2013.)

Thread Information