Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are the supercharger dots in Florida?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I posted on Doug's blog about the event....

The FL stations look like Jacksonville, Melbourne/Cape Canaveral, south of Sarasota (Port Charlotte?), Tallahassee and Pensacola. That also makes sense when you look at the interstate distances between them. Orlando has such a high density of charge stations I'd question whether a supercharger was necessary there and most people spend more than 30 minutes when they stop in Orlando. The thinking is probably the same for Miami, you're either going to it or away from it, it's not really somewhere you drive through/past.

Both Sarasota and Melbourne are about ~200miles from Miami, so that makes sense to me.

Last edited:
I really think that's cutting it a bit close, from Miami. If they were more like Ft. Myers and Vero Beach, I could get anywhere in Florida from here. If they are in Sarasota and Melbourne, I will have to hypermile my way to them...

I doubt the Western dot is Sarasota. Here's what I posted on Doug's blog.

I'm guessing the Western dot is Naples just before you get on Alligator Alley. A potential location might be exit #101 off of I-75. There's a Cracker Barrel there, but they may not have enough parking spaces to spare. There's also a Burger King there that probably does have space.

Right. I have no interest in a supercharger in Miami. But i don't want them more than around 180 miles away. I don't want to be driving below the speed limit.

Yes, there's a discussion on the Supercharger thread that states that based on conversations with Tesla reps Supercharging can be performed in Standard charge mode without any degradation of the battery. Not so in Range mode. I have written to Tesla for a written guidance on the subject. If this turns out to be correct we will have to reduce the anticipated range by 10% and then reduce that based on the speed we indend to drive. So at 80 mph according to the Tesla range versus speed chart the range would be about 200 miles that would have to be reduced by 10% or to 180 miles when in standard range mode.

Larry

Last edited:
As Nigel points out, traveling from Miami toward Sarasota the if the Supercharger were located around Port Charlotte the mileage works out nicely. However, traveling from Sarasota to Miami a Supercharger at Port Charotte isn't ideal because its too close at about 45 miles. (Of course on the positive side you would only need about 10 minutes to top off.) I really don't see being located at Port Charlotte as a big problem, but depending on what's actually located at the Supercharger location, I would prefer Naples to Port Charlotte because its closer to the halfway point to Miami from Sarasota and it probably has more suitable potential host locations.

Larry

As Nigel points out, traveling from Miami toward Sarasota the if the Supercharger were located around Port Charlotte the mileage works out nicely. However, traveling from Sarasota to Miami a Supercharger at Port Charotte isn't ideal because its too close at about 45 miles. (Of course on the positive side you would only need about 10 minutes to top off.) I really don't see being located at Port Charlotte as a big problem, but depending on what's actually located at the Supercharger location, I would prefer Naples to Port Charlotte because its closer to the halfway point to Miami from Sarasota and it probably has more suitable potential host locations.

Larry

Naples would be perfect in both directions. I think Vero would be good on the other side, going MIA-JAX or MIA-Orlando, and the inverse.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, there's a discussion on the Supercharger thread that states that based on conversations with Tesla reps Supercharging can be performed in Standard charge mode without any degradation of the battery. Not so in Range mode. I have written to Tesla for a written guidance on the subject. If this turns out to be correct we will have to reduce the anticipated range by 10% and then reduce that based on the speed we indend to drive. So at 80 mph according to the Tesla range versus speed chart the range would be about 200 miles that would have to be reduced by 10% or to 180 miles when in standard range mode.

Larry

I guess the real question is if there's a difference between the degradation of supercharging in range mode and regular charging in range mode. Clearly, both cause degradation. For long trips, I'm going to charge in range mode, of course. But even if there's no difference, 200 miles @80mph means 180 miles anyway (to be safe). I'm not going to run it to the last mile. I'll also likely have 5 people with A/C at full blast.

Larry

Naples is ideal because its the halfway point from west coast to east coast, and for anyone going to/from Alligator Alley it's the perfect place to charge up either before or after going through the Alley.

Given that my road trips will largely be with kids and luggage, 200 miles is probably stretching it as far as distance between superchargers in the state. I'm not going to be too confident the first time we go to Orlando as a family.

Yesterday at the PBA event, David said:

1) The dots are not meant to be at all representative of which city
2) They were talking at one point about Sarasota, but now they are focusing more on Tampa.

I'm not sure how clued in he actually is, but I think this would be a mistake. These superchargers should not be in O/D locations, but in between! You have plenty of time at your origin or destination to charge. It's the intermediate points where you run out of juice at which you need a quicker charge. If Tampa is the place, people in Miami won't be able to make it to Tampa as a standard road trip and vice versa. People coming from Atlanta won't be able to get to Miami via Tampa, etc.

I think we need to start lobbying Tesla about this sooner rather than later; before ground-breaking and marketing deals are made.

I agree with you on getting the SuperChargers in between and no in major cities. I'm in Texas and the original map seemed to show S/Cs in Dallas and Austin, but when my 60kWh S arrives I'm really going to want to charge halfway in between (Waco-ish). Ditto that for Dallas to Houston.

The supercharger in Pensacola (or thereabouts) is key for me. Driving from Dallas to Santa Rosa Beach / Seaside / Destin, etc. if you couple that with the ones in Shreveport and Jackson (or thereabouts), I am sierra hotel !!!

- - - Updated - - -

I think we need to start lobbying Tesla about this sooner rather than later; before ground-breaking and marketing deals are made.

When this first came to light (particularly the ones in Texas), I contacted Tesla and - at length - discussed with them the importance of securing a position on I-45 that is near one of the most visited stops (Hou-Dal). It was not taken lightly and, in fact, it was passed up (per my OE rep) to those who research and discuss these decisions. So, Aviators99, this is very very true. Please contact them soon.

Yesterday at the PBA event, David said:

1) The dots are not meant to be at all representative of which city
2) They were talking at one point about Sarasota, but now they are focusing more on Tampa.

I'm not sure how clued in he actually is, but I think this would be a mistake. These superchargers should not be in O/D locations, but in between! You have plenty of time at your origin or destination to charge. It's the intermediate points where you run out of juice at which you need a quicker charge. If Tampa is the place, people in Miami won't be able to make it to Tampa as a standard road trip and vice versa. People coming from Atlanta won't be able to get to Miami via Tampa, etc.

Ron,

In my opinion the most important issues with Superchargers is that they are strategically located on, or nearby major highways, at locations that have access to amenities, i.e. restrooms, food, etc., and of course location, location, location. A location at an intersection of two or more major highways would be a big plus. As long that these considerations are addressed I do not have problem with a Supercharger station being located in a city, but citing shouldn't start with locating a major city.

From a purely selfish point of view I'm not interested in a Supercharger station being located in or near the city I live in. I want it located enroute to a location that I am likely to be driving. I believe what we are seeing on the map is a very rough cut provided by the folks at Dania Beach from their driving perspective. If you move the starting point to where I live or where you live we're going to have a very different idea of "ideal" locations.

Perhaps this is something I should poll our club membership on.

Larry

I would be happy to see one or more Supercharges go up anywhere outside of CA to indicate that Tesla is on track with building them in a timely manner. (Dots on the map are pretty easy to create). I was somewhat disappointed with the initial rollout because I had expected at least one cross-country supercharger route opened (20 locations).

Ron,

In my opinion the most important issues with Superchargers is that they are strategically located on, or nearby major highways, at locations that have access to amenities, i.e. restrooms, food, etc., and of course location, location, location. A location at an intersection of two or more major highways would be a big plus. As long that these considerations are addressed I do not have problem with a Supercharger station being located in a city, but citing shouldn't start with locating a major city.

From a purely selfish point of view I'm not interested in a Supercharger station being located in or near the city I live in. I want it located enroute to a location that I am likely to be driving. I believe what we are seeing on the map is a very rough cut provided by the folks at Dania Beach from their driving perspective. If you move the starting point to where I live or where you live we're going to have a very different idea of "ideal" locations.

Perhaps this is something I should poll our club membership on.

Larry

I really don't think it should matter where you live. You want these supercharging stations to (eventually) be between all major cities, such that they are every approximately 200 miles. And specifically *not* closer than that to a major city (unless there are more than one in between).