Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the supercharger dots in Florida?

Model S - R140

Where are the supercharger dots in Florida?

I'd like to get a consensus of where people think they are. My first stab is Naples and Vero Beach. I'm hoping that's right. Much further and it will be out of range from Miami. If it's Tampa and Daytona Beach I've got a problem.

Blog Entries
    As I posted on Doug's blog about the event....

The FL stations look like Jacksonville, Melbourne/Cape Canaveral, south of Sarasota (Port Charlotte?), Tallahassee and Pensacola. That also makes sense when you look at the interstate distances between them. Orlando has such a high density of charge stations I'd question whether a supercharger was necessary there and most people spend more than 30 minutes when they stop in Orlando. The thinking is probably the same for Miami, you're either going to it or away from it, it's not really somewhere you drive through/past.
    Both Sarasota and Melbourne are about ~200miles from Miami, so that makes sense to me.
    Last edited by NigelM; 2012-09-25 at 05:00 PM. Reason: typo

Model S - R140
    I really think that's cutting it a bit close, from Miami. If they were more like Ft. Myers and Vero Beach, I could get anywhere in Florida from here. If they are in Sarasota and Melbourne, I will have to hypermile my way to them...

Model S Perf Sig 1232 Larry Chanin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
    I really think that's cutting it a bit close, from Miami. If they were more like Ft. Myers and Vero Beach, I could get anywhere in Florida from here. If they are in Sarasota and Melbourne, I will have to hypermile my way to them...
    I doubt the Western dot is Sarasota. Here's what I posted on Doug's blog.

I'm guessing the Western dot is Naples just before you get on Alligator Alley. A potential location might be exit #101 off of I-75. There's a Cracker Barrel there, but they may not have enough parking spaces to spare. There's also a Burger King there that probably does have space.

Model S - R140
    Naples (or even FMY) would be great for Miami people, (at least when going to Tampa, which is someplace I like to go).

2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683 jordanthompson's Avatar
    Definitely not going to complain about the SC in Melbourne.

- - - Updated - - -

"No matter where you go, you're already there in your Tesla" -- Paraphrased from Buckaroo Banzai

Quote Originally Posted by jordanthompson View Post
    Personally I'd rather have Superchargers located around 200 miles away from me on routes that I drive regularly.

Larry

Model S - R140
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Chanin View Post
    Personally I'd rather have Superchargers located around 200 miles away from me on routes that I drive regularly.

Larry
    Right. I have no interest in a supercharger in Miami. But i don't want them more than around 180 miles away. I don't want to be driving below the speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
    Right. I have no interest in a supercharger in Miami. But i don't want them more than around 180 miles away. I don't want to be driving below the speed limit.
    Yes, there's a discussion on the Supercharger thread that states that based on conversations with Tesla reps Supercharging can be performed in Standard charge mode without any degradation of the battery. Not so in Range mode. I have written to Tesla for a written guidance on the subject. If this turns out to be correct we will have to reduce the anticipated range by 10% and then reduce that based on the speed we indend to drive. So at 80 mph according to the Tesla range versus speed chart the range would be about 200 miles that would have to be reduced by 10% or to 180 miles when in standard range mode.

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Chanin; 2012-09-27 at 09:19 AM.

As Nigel points out, traveling from Miami toward Sarasota the if the Supercharger were located around Port Charlotte the mileage works out nicely. However, traveling from Sarasota to Miami a Supercharger at Port Charotte isn't ideal because its too close at about 45 miles. (Of course on the positive side you would only need about 10 minutes to top off.) I really don't see being located at Port Charlotte as a big problem, but depending on what's actually located at the Supercharger location, I would prefer Naples to Port Charlotte because its closer to the halfway point to Miami from Sarasota and it probably has more suitable potential host locations.

Larry

Thread Information