Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In today's Model S review in Wired Magazine, there was mention of an upgrade to the suspension on Elon Musk's personal Model S Performance, referred to as "Performance Plus." Here's the text from the article...

"Tesla loaned us a Model S for four days. But it wasn’t just any specimen off the lot — it was Tesla co-founder and CEO Elon Musk’s personal car. This means two things. First, it’s outfitted with a revised “Version 2″ air suspension, along with half-inch-wider rear wheels, revised suspension bushings and end links, and Michelin PS2 sport tires. This could be offered as a “Performance Plus” upgrade for the standard Performance Model S, and is based on feedback from both Musk and his engineers." -Wired Magazine

Does anyone have any information on this possible upgrade package? Perhaps in the 2013 model year? Different size wheels on front and rear would complicate things slightly. Although it's often expected in supercar territory.

Review: Tesla Model S

It's mainly just an extra 20mm on the width of the rear tires. Tesla told me about this way back when Edmund's reported the 265's (instead of 245's) on the rear. Everyone assumed they were wrong, but when I wrote Tesla they told me it was an alternate performance option that they were considering to offer.

I don't have the specs on the rims but you can probably just stick on some 265's on your first tire replacement.

Ken

It's mainly just an extra 20mm on the width of the rear tires. Tesla told me about this way back when Edmund's reported the 265's (instead of 245's) on the rear. Everyone assumed they were wrong, but when I wrote Tesla they told me it was an alternate performance option that they were considering to offer.

I don't have the specs on the rims but you can probably just stick on some 265's on your first tire replacement.

Ken

http://www.insideline.com/tesla/model-s/2012/2012-tesla-model-s-signature-performance-suspension-walkaround.html

You're right, the rear wheels on the Performance Plus package are wider but are, at this point, still prototypes.

You can, but the tire will work best if the rim width is the same as tread width, so mounting it on the same wheel as the 245 tires isn't going to give optimum performance. Now if you aren't concerned it won't be a problem (you'll only notice the difference if you actually measure the performance) but then why bother? Having different size tires front and rear adds cost and complications.

You can, but the tire will work best if the rim width is the same as tread width, so mounting it on the same wheel as the 245 tires isn't going to give optimum performance. Now if you aren't concerned it won't be a problem (you'll only notice the difference if you actually measure the performance) but then why bother? Having different size tires front and rear adds cost and complications.

Thanks for chiming in. I've put wider tires on several times, but for asthetics not performance.

Once my S's tires need replacing, I plan to locate some 20" rims that are very similar to the stock 21's. But at 20 I'll have many more tire choices.

"That upgrade is currently being tested and we have not decided if this will be released to our customers or soon-to-be customers in the future. Therefore, backwards compatibility is yet to be established. The performance car is an amazing vehicle as-is, and the additional gains from our proposed “upgrade” would only be seen if you are seriously considering using the car for track events."

usually adding more rear induces more understeer which makes it harder to rotate the car for track events.
Unless, the car is heavily rear weight biased like a Porsche...

What is the weight distribution on the S? 50/50?