Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't test-drive a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
I had the Roadster at the plug-in day event yesterday. The turn-out was light, but it was interesting. I talked to a few EV-curious people, and gave a few rides, though I spent more time talking to other EV owners, including two other Roadster owners.

But one man told me "Do NOT, absolutely do NOT under any circumstances, test-drive a Model S. Because if you do you will want one. No matter that you don't need another EV. No matter that you already drive a Roadster. If you test-drive a Model S you will never be satisfied until you own one."

Of course, this made me really want to drive one. I probably still won't make the trip to Seattle. Maybe. But I may phone Tesla and ask when they're going to have one in Spokane for test-drives.

This fellow claimed that the performance version of the Model S is just as quick off the line as a non-sport Roadster (contrary to the numbers I've seen, which he said are too conservative), and that its handling, comfort, and all the rest, will make even a Roadster owner want to get one.

So, what do Roadster owners who have driven the S think? Leaving aside the fact that the Model S is more "practical," due to its size, since I have no need of the size, and leaving aside the fact that it holds 5 or 7 people, since I live alone and have no girlfriend and virtually no friends, so two seats are enough for me; is the Model S really a Roadster-killer? Do you think I'd rather have an S than my Roadster if I once drive the S?

But one man told me "Do NOT, absolutely do NOT under any circumstances, test-drive a Model S. Because if you do you will want one. No matter that you don't need another EV. No matter that you already drive a Roadster. If you test-drive a Model S you will never be satisfied until you own one."

This is true. I wish I had never test driven a Model S, because after knowing what I will be missing, it made it even more painful to cancel my reservation. The Model S is, without a doubt, the best car I have ever driven.

I fear, that the Model S is outperforming the Roadster in any category. because of being liquid cooled, there is no concern about overheating the PEM or the Motor as it is with the Roadster. No Power Limited because you are running uphill for a while in the mountains.

Is there anything you don't like about the roadster? Are there any quirks you wish it didn't have?

I would say that the luxury feel of the Model S makes is a far superior car to the roadster for most people. It's such a joy to drive. However, you used to drive a Zap so I'm not sure this applies to you. :)

I had the Roadster at the plug-in day event yesterday. The turn-out was light, but it was interesting. I talked to a few EV-curious people, and gave a few rides, though I spent more time talking to other EV owners, including two other Roadster owners.

Of course, this made me really want to drive one. I probably still won't make the trip to Seattle. Maybe. But I may phone Tesla and ask when they're going to have one in Spokane for test-drives.

This fellow claimed that the performance version of the Model S is just as quick off the line as a non-sport Roadster (contrary to the numbers I've seen, which he said are too conservative), and that its handling, comfort, and all the rest, will make even a Roadster owner want to get one.

So, what do Roadster owners who have driven the S think? Leaving aside the fact that the Model S is more "practical," due to its size, since I have no need of the size, and leaving aside the fact that it holds 5 or 7 people, since I live alone and have no girlfriend and virtually no friends, so two seats are enough for me; is the Model S really a Roadster-killer? Do you think I'd rather have an S than my Roadster if I once drive the S?

I'm a long-time economy car driver who switched to a Roadster 3 years ago. I'd always wanted a sports car, but had never been able to justify the extra gasoline usage. I've never cared about luxury. The Roadster was exactly what I'd always wanted, and I was thrilled to own it. When I went to test drove the Model S, I figured I knew what to expect. It's similar, just a little slower and more luxurious, right? I'll like it, but still prefer the sportier Roadster.

I was blown away. I really, really like the Model S. It's got the same power and smoothness as the Roadster, but quieter, roomier and with a MUCH MUCH better ride. After just having driven 900 jarring miles in my Roadster, the serenity of it all really grabbed me.

Of course, the Roadster still has its appeal. The removable top, smaller size and better steering feedback are really nice; and when just doing short trips around town (rather than a long road trip like I had just done) the Model S benefits may matter less. At least I hope so, because I'm not sure how often I'll be able to pry the Model S fob out of my wife's hands.

Not really a fair question for me.
We leased the Roadster simply because it was the only highway capable EV at the time and we were fortunate enough to be able to afford it.
I actually don't like small sport cars. I have wanted the Model S since it was the White Star:)
I haven't test driven it, haven't even seen it in person, but I know I want it. So me wanting it after a test drive would not be a big surprise:)

I just hope my bouncing off the walls doesn't cause my wife to kill me before it arrives!

@daniel - I've never owned a Roadster, but my impression is this:

If you're a purist when it comes to feeling the road, etc. (like some people speak about wanting, needing, the gears of an ICE), then you'd prefer the Roadster.
If you are turned off -- like no-go turned off -- by the larger size, then you'd prefer the Roadster.

Otherwise, you're likely to get hooked by the Model S Perf when you drive it.

> I fear, that the Model S is outperforming the Roadster in any category. because of being liquid cooled, there is no concern about overheating the PEM or the Motor as it is with the Roadster. No Power Limited because you are running uphill for a while in the mountains. [Eberhard]

Going uphill in these mountains is a nice uphill straightaway where the Roadster easily 'does the C' (167 km per hour). I like this strip since gravity scrubs so nicely. Just now they have repaved this whole section which I interpret as a sign from the almighty to continue my particular form of testing. Just in time for the (non-performance) ModelS!! Should still be a piece of cake.
--

...maybe not.
I had no intention of getting the performance when they were announcing it at the 'test ride' event. After driving it ;> I'm broke

I am pretty good at spending within my budget. I showed them my proof of income to get a loan and they came back with awful, above 10%, financing rates. I started to walk out without discussion at that point. They asked why as I could easily afford they payment (and I could have). I responded that it was more than I *WILL* spend not more than I *CAN* spend. Well after I hit the front door the base price went down about $1k and my financing rate was just below 6% (I had little credit history).

My second car purchase was much smoother as I solicited exactly what I wanted to 6 VW dealers, and they all saw it go out to all six. I started negotiations $2.5k below MSRP, and I got another $500 because I picked a color that not one dealer had in inventory in my email. Financing was still a hassle, but it really just took time.

I fear, that the Model S is outperforming the Roadster in any category. because of being liquid cooled, there is no concern about overheating the PEM or the Motor as it is with the Roadster. No Power Limited because you are running uphill for a while in the mountains.

That is very true! The Achilles Heel of the Roadster, "PEM Hot," is gone with the Model S. It looks like putting adequate liquid cooling in the PEM has made all the difference!

On a 10+% climb up a winding road into the Rockies where I would often get the dreaded "PEM Hot" message and reduced power, all the Model S does is increase the speed of the liquid coolant pumps. The S is quiet enough that if you listen carefully you hear the subtle pump noise!

I have a non-sport roadster and a performance S. In terms of acceleration and cornering, the difference is less than my ability to perceive. I'll leave the quantitive measurement to others. The big noticeable differences are sound level (S way quieter), regen braking (S like 2nd gear, R like 1st gear), and of course interior volume (Colarado vs Rhode Island).

Two Teslas.jpg

But I may phone Tesla and ask when they're going to have one in Spokane for test-drives.

...since I live alone and have no girlfriend and virtually no friends, so two seats are enough for me; is the Model S really a Roadster-killer? Do you think I'd rather have an S than my Roadster if I once drive the S?

I'll be looking to drive my Model S from Portland to Missoula, and if you let me charge at your place, I'll let you test drive mine. :)

I've met a couple Roadster owners in your position (to name two, Nathan and Bonnie) who would not give up their Roadsters. It sounds like if you don't need to room, don't do it.

Comparing the two is insane. I do not like the roadsters less because of the Model S. I love the Model S. I love the Roadsters.

The Model S is what 10 years of technology and a ground up EV platform will get you.

Pure and simple.

I don't own a roadster , never had a ride in one, over 45 years I have driven a lot of fast cars and a lot of luxurious automobiles. I don't need an S for the driving I do. I am retired and on a fixed income, 100k is a lot of money for me, I can find several other venues for that money, took a test drive. WOW!!! RES 1079!@#$%^&*( DON"T DRINK THE KOOLAID!!!! Truly is the best car in the world, IMHO ( sorry roaster owners)

Okay, I may not have the driver-of-a-supercar pedigree and have never driven a Roadster but, here are the cars that I've been through:

- 1999 VW Passat (1.8L I4 Turbo, 150 hp @ 5700 rpm, 155 ft-lbs. @ 1750 rpm)
- 2001 BMW Z3 2.5i convertible (2.5L I6, 184 hp @ 6000 rpm, 175 ft-lbs. @ 3500 rpm)
- 2004 Acura TL (3.2L V6, 270 hp @ 6200 rpm, 238 ft-lbs. @ 5000 rpm)
- 2006 BMW 325i (3.0L I6, 215 hp @ 6250 rpm, 185 ft-lbs. @ 2750 rpm)
- 2008 Mini Clubman S (1.6L I4 Turbo, 172 hp @ 5500 rpm, 177 ft-lbs. @ 1600 rpm)

The Model S (even the non-perf one) made me feel that I've been wasting money all along on sub-standard journeymen, relatively speaking! Yes, if you test-drive it once, you'll fall in love forever. It's like night and day!