Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar energy from space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is the cost to get material to low Earth orbit. Even with SpaceX's proposed Falcon Heavy it's about $1000/lb. The serious studies I've seen say the cost has to come down to much less than $100/lb to make orbiting solar collectors even close to competitive. There are a bunch of other technical issues like micro-meteor and space junk erosion of the panels as well.
The bottom line seems to be that for this to be feasible we need much, much lower costs for mass to orbit.

This is a very interesting subject, although to me more than a bit scary, the ultimate decisions on these projects lie with the funding. The funding will come from the USA no doubt and that leaves Money hungry Congressmen and Senators making this decision. Usually less for thought is used and immediate gratification wins over. I would be concerned with a low orbit sun shade ( or a 100 of them) affecting the weather patterns we now have. I think it is pretty clear that weather patterns in the last 10 years have changed dramatically and I'm not sure accurate history of weather goes back far enough to predict that our current status is an historical repeat. I guess I'm on the page of lets develope what we have on the planet to make an impact before we try and go to space to solve our energy problems and of course big money and again big control of a resource. I don't want to be CHICKEN LITTLE here BUT is the sky falling!

This keeps coming up every 8 months or so like it's some great novel idea. Really it's not. No where near worth the extra cost and complications.
There are plenty of flat roofs that could use solar panels first.

I remember it from SimCity 2000. It came out in 1994!

th.jpg

Microwave - SimCity Wiki - The best wiki for all of your SimCity needs!

It's been around a lot longer than that. The 1940s even.

I remember this image in a book when I was a kid:

755px-NASA_solar_power_satellite_concept_1976.jpg

This keeps coming up every 8 months or so like it's some great novel idea. Really it's not. No where near worth the extra cost and complications.
There are plenty of roofs that could use solar panels first.

And deserts. Put a whole load of solar collectors in the deserts at roughly 120 degree intervals and run a ring of high voltage cables around the earth.