Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powered Windows: Button Operation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edit: Tried to fix the thread title for this one, but can't see how to do it! Maybe the mods can help me out?

Saw this in the Model S Owner's Guide:

Model S Owner's Guide said:
WINDOW CONTROLS: Press down on a switch to lower the associated window all the way down. Window switches operate at two levels. To lower a window partially, press the switch quickly and lightly. Pull a switch up to raise the associated window. This also operates at two levels, as described above.

Does this mean that buttons have two sensitivity settings? In other words, hold the button halfway down to control the window explicitly, or press it firmly and release to send the window to the completely open setting?

Last edited:
Edit: Tried to fix the thread title for this one, but can't see how to do it! Maybe the mods can help me out?

Saw this in the Model S Owner's Guide:

Does this mean that buttons have two sensitivity settings? In other words, hold the button halfway down to control the window explicitly, or press it firmly and release to send the window to the completely open setting?

That is the way I read it. Exactly the same as my VW GTI.

Seems like a silly question, but when I read it (granted it was VERY late last night) the "press the switch quickly and lightly" part got me. It made it seem that a light "tap" on the switch would drop the window partway, and therefore the window only would have 3 settings (open, closed, or partly closed). Fortunately reason, sleep, and your responses have clarified this!

I hope the computer can control the windows, even if it's not enabled yet. I would love functionality like they have for the pano roof. I would like 'all windows up', 'all windows down', and 'all windows 50% open' buttons on the touch screen.

Maybe a tad off topic, but have we determined if the windows drop a fraction when opening the doors, then raise to complete a seal, a la most frameless doors??

Yep, just like my MINI Cooper 03.

And for windows, a firmware update could enable a auto down feature via fob or smartphone app. Since my MINI does this as well. All windows and roof opens with fob.