Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed NEMA 14-50 in garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an electrician come by today and install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage. The run was very short....maybe 2 feet from the breaker box which is located in the corner of the garage where I need it anyway. Total cost $410.00. I'm ready for the Model S!

Nema.jpg
nema2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice.

We're updating this ourselves. Unfortunately, the run from my breaker is about 40 feet. So, we had a trench dug and a 100 amp subpanel installed in the garage. Also, we installed a conduit for cat 6 since I have a Sonos device out there and will probably add a wireless access point for devices and the Model S, if it can rely on wifi at some point. This is being installed about 9 months early since we are simultaneously remodeling our back yard with new pavers and greenery. So, digging the trench was part of the deal. We're also installing another subpanel in our house and adding some outlets and lighting in the garage. Total bill in the end will be $2700.

I'd like to work on making a nice enclosure in the garage, and the thought had occurred to me to put on the alley side a J1772 charger that is under combination lock for those looking for a plug share. That would probably be another $1500 expense when said and done, but maybe something down the road for those in need of a charge.

power1.jpg
power2.jpg
power3.jpg

I'm in the same situation and looking for NEMA 14-50 outlet very short distance 2-3 feet from the breaker box (200A) switch. $410 sounds like a good deal as compared to many of the pricing I have seen in the forum. Can you share with me the details like materials cost..and labor cost etc? I'm # 5428 signed the paperwork and thinking I may get the car in Dec/Jan?

EMT is legal when used underground, but most contractors will use PVC. It will have a longer life as the EMT tends to rust where it enters the ground. Even better is to use schedule 80 PVC for the exposed area above ground.

Interesting.

3 of the 4 contractors recommended EMT over PVC for the underground conduit, and in the village exposed PVC is not within code.

Interesting.

3 of the 4 contractors recommended EMT over PVC for the underground conduit, and in the village exposed PVC is not within code.

That's a shame; it sounds like a response to the fact that PVC, when burned, releases pretty nasty chemicals... however, that's largely been treated as a non-issue by most code authorities for electrical and water piping as it tends to out-survive other materials in a fire and at that point you're dealing with post-flashover fire issues. My car-charging subpanel is being fed with exposed PVC.

I personally think EMT is a bit neater-looking because it's smaller and thinner... but in the garage? I don't care.

That's a shame; it sounds like a response to the fact that PVC, when burned, releases pretty nasty chemicals

I don't know if that was the reason, but it makes sense. I originally thought PVC would be used below ground and EMT above ground, but the contractors recommended EMT for the entire run. Maybe they had experiential problems marrying the two types of conduit. I don't know.

I personally think EMT is a bit neater-looking because it's smaller and thinner... but in the garage? I don't care.

The EMT in the picture is on the outside of the garage and exposed in two locations in the back yard. I actually prefer the EMT to PVC in this location for aesthetic reasons, but have no opinion regarding the safety or longevity of one versus the other. Either way, I am going to do my best to hide both runs with greenery. I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it, however. As long as it powers my Model S for the next 10 years.

Likely will be there for 10 years.....

But......

View attachment 10000

Ugly.

The picture shows why code requires that the EMT is wrapped whenever it goes below ground. (At least that is what I was told by Home Depot when I ran electrical to the backyard)

There was a green wrap around the bend that I saw before the earth was back filled. Perhaps it was the wrap you speak of...

I shared this in another thread, but this is what I'll be mounting inside of my garage. My house is brick veneer over concrete block, so the interior of my garage is just concrete block. I mounted a loadbreak switch and surface-mount NEMA 14-50 on to a 3/4" plywood backboard. I'll mount this to the wall and run 3#6 wire to the panel in my basement.

The reason for the switch is because my garage floor in winter is usually quite wet from the snow and salt run-off from my cars. I don't like the idea of handling a 240 volt plug while standing in salt water.
B5E394C5-98F2-4FFD-8244-BDC486AF961A.JPG

Unfortunately my 45+ year old house needs to have its power panel replaced to support a NEMA 14-50. Solar City quoted ~$3000. Yikes.

I am in a similar situation (limited capacity on my main service), but am in the process of replacing an electric range and electric dryer with gas counterparts to free up the capacity and breaker positions in the panel. I had been planning on the new gas appliances anyway (much cheaper to operate than electric and prefer gas cooking).

It is still only 120V to ground, so no more dangerous than a regular 15A 120V plug.

Okay... so I don't like handling a 120 volt plug while standing in salt water :)

I also like the idea that I can padlock the switch off if I ever take the cable with me. My kids leave the door open sometimes (by accident) and I wouldn't want the neighborhood kids playing around with this "unusual" looking plug. It's going to be mounted near the garage door end (because of where the Model S charge port is) and so would be plainly visible when the door is up.

I moved from Toronto to California so I could safely unplug and then drive to the salt water ;-)

Here is my NEMA 14-50 setup on the side of the front porch (my garage has never seen a car). I was happy with the Solar City install. At first they quoted me the higher price assuming a panel upgrade but when they discovered it wasn't needed the price dropped by 75%. I have the same concern about the kids playing with the socket so I will lock it. I assume that if I leave the mobile charger plugged into the NEMA 14-50 that I don't need to worry about them playing with the other loose end of that cable. By that I mean the end that would otherwise be plugged into the car if I weren't off enjoying it so much. Of course with this setup I will have to buy a second mobile charger for the car.

NEMA_14-50.jpg

I just got a quote for installing a NEMA 14-50 in my garage. My garage is not insulated so there is no fishing of wire needed. The outlet location is on the wall opposite from the panel; about 20 feet across. This includes installing a new breaker in my panel for this outlet.

Materials: $236.30
2 hours labor: $136 < this is discounted labor using an Angie's List coupon
Sales Tax: $22.45 (9.5%)

Total: $394.75

I am in the Seattle area.

An important note: I have a 200 amp panel and I was worried that I needed to upgrade my panel, but I did not need to. I was lucky because both my clothes dryer and stove are gas powered. If I had needed to upgrade my panel, it will require me to upgrade my service with my power company and they said I had to cover the costs of the upgrade including external supply panel and transformer. Fortunately, I did not need to find out how much that would cost. I found this out after I called my power company and they sent someone out to confirm what they can support. This part was free. I am guessing that the panel upgrade would be thousands of dollars. That would be painful.

Last edited:
I guess I am lucky. My house came with a 14-50 box just like the one in hans' picture. It is in the front corner of my house under the breaker panel and where the garage is. It would have been really easy to install myself and I might end up moving to the other side of the wall so it is in the garage/add another plug on the other side for future cars/friends