Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installed NEMA 14-50 in garage

Installed NEMA 14-50 in garage

I had an electrician come by today and install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage. The run was very short....maybe 2 feet from the breaker box which is located in the corner of the garage where I need it anyway. Total cost $410.00. I'm ready for the Model S!

Name:  Nema.jpg
Views: 2334
Size:  27.4 KB Name:  nema2.jpg
Views: 2554
Size:  21.0 KB
    Last edited by STxTesla; 2012-09-22 at 03:05 PM.
    "These go to eleven..."

Nice.

We're updating this ourselves. Unfortunately, the run from my breaker is about 40 feet. So, we had a trench dug and a 100 amp subpanel installed in the garage. Also, we installed a conduit for cat 6 since I have a Sonos device out there and will probably add a wireless access point for devices and the Model S, if it can rely on wifi at some point. This is being installed about 9 months early since we are simultaneously remodeling our back yard with new pavers and greenery. So, digging the trench was part of the deal. We're also installing another subpanel in our house and adding some outlets and lighting in the garage. Total bill in the end will be $2700.

I'd like to work on making a nice enclosure in the garage, and the thought had occurred to me to put on the alley side a J1772 charger that is under combination lock for those looking for a plug share. That would probably be another $1500 expense when said and done, but maybe something down the road for those in need of a charge.

Name:  power1.jpg
Views: 1871
Size:  98.5 KBName:  power2.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  118.1 KBName:  power3.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  84.4 KB
    MODEL S 85 | BLUE

I'm in the same situation and looking for NEMA 14-50 outlet very short distance 2-3 feet from the breaker box (200A) switch. $410 sounds like a good deal as compared to many of the pricing I have seen in the forum. Can you share with me the details like materials cost..and labor cost etc? I'm # 5428 signed the paperwork and thinking I may get the car in Dec/Jan?

Well...the quote pricing was not itemized...but it was two hours of labor and the parts. The labor was actually at time and one-half because they came on a Saturday. The labor ended up costing $96/hr.
    "These go to eleven..."

EMT is legal when used underground, but most contractors will use PVC. It will have a longer life as the EMT tends to rust where it enters the ground. Even better is to use schedule 80 PVC for the exposed area above ground.
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    EMT is legal when used underground, but most contractors will use PVC. It will have a longer life as the EMT tends to rust where it enters the ground. Even better is to use schedule 80 PVC for the exposed area above ground.
    Interesting.

3 of the 4 contractors recommended EMT over PVC for the underground conduit, and in the village exposed PVC is not within code.
    MODEL S 85 | BLUE

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Interesting.

3 of the 4 contractors recommended EMT over PVC for the underground conduit, and in the village exposed PVC is not within code.
    That's a shame; it sounds like a response to the fact that PVC, when burned, releases pretty nasty chemicals... however, that's largely been treated as a non-issue by most code authorities for electrical and water piping as it tends to out-survive other materials in a fire and at that point you're dealing with post-flashover fire issues. My car-charging subpanel is being fed with exposed PVC.

I personally think EMT is a bit neater-looking because it's smaller and thinner... but in the garage? I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by FlasherZ View Post
    That's a shame; it sounds like a response to the fact that PVC, when burned, releases pretty nasty chemicals
    I don't know if that was the reason, but it makes sense. I originally thought PVC would be used below ground and EMT above ground, but the contractors recommended EMT for the entire run. Maybe they had experiential problems marrying the two types of conduit. I don't know.

I personally think EMT is a bit neater-looking because it's smaller and thinner... but in the garage? I don't care.
    The EMT in the picture is on the outside of the garage and exposed in two locations in the back yard. I actually prefer the EMT to PVC in this location for aesthetic reasons, but have no opinion regarding the safety or longevity of one versus the other. Either way, I am going to do my best to hide both runs with greenery. I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it, however. As long as it powers my Model S for the next 10 years.
    MODEL S 85 | BLUE

Likely will be there for 10 years.....

But......

Name:  untitled EMT.png
Views: 1809
Size:  325.2 KB
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

P11051
    The picture shows why code requires that the EMT is wrapped whenever it goes below ground. (At least that is what I was told by Home Depot when I ran electrical to the backyard)

Thread Information