Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Fiber Sills with Black insert no longer available... have to be custom wrapped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The carbon fiber sills with the black inserts are no longer available:

Carbon Fiber Door Sills Tesla Motors

I discovered the last set available was sold over a month back at menlo park. Only the one's with the silver cutouts are available, so if you order from online or from the store that's what you'll get. I didn't like the silvers all that much, I thought at least the silver was an aluminum insert which would look sporty but its not. I liked the black since it fits in with the flow of my interior design well. I called around hunting old stock and nobody had them. Called the Seattle store and they said they could have the silvers custom wrapped in a plastic wrap that's very resistant to scuffing, only thing is its an extra $150. Thought that sucked and really don't know why the blacks were discontinued. I heard the blacks were actually an error and were not to be made, just odd its their main and only pic on the tesla store. Got mine installed, pretty happy with them. The black wrap does not match the interior flat black but its close. May be hard to match it unless its a rough surface like the interior and if it is might be really prone to scuffs like the factory sills. I'm happy that they shouldn't crack and can handle more stress than the originals. If you want the sills wrapped like mine in black contact Garrett in the Seattle Telsa Store.

Below are some pics:

20120921_094603.jpg
20120921_094612.jpg
20120921_094556.jpg
Left door sill.JPG

Just want to give an update on the sills, in particular the wrap. So I gave test rides in the Roadster on Sunday from 12:30-3pm with people getting in and out of the tub. One thing for sure, everyone loves the Roadster :) Lots of love. So this was a good test for scuffing on the black inserts.... I was able to wipe the inserts with a damp rag and they remained scuff free. Yes people ran their shoes across the black insert but I'm pretty satisfied how they held up. Garrett in the Seattle Tesla store mentioned the wrap was really good at preventing scuffs from shoes. One thing for sure, the carbon sills have a very nice solid feel getting in and out of the Roadster. Before people would get in I would give a quick tip on how to enter and exit the car, putting one leg in the tub and then putting your hand down on the sill to hold the weight while your butt drops into the seat. Really don't want people holding onto the door, it'll stress the hinge. With confidence I could say put all your weight on the Carbon Fiber sill! I really couldn't say that with the stock sills without clamping down on my teeth. They're just ready to crack on you if you put your weight down in the wrong place.

So overall I'm very happy with the sills and custom black inserts and the CF sills.

I looked at Al&Eds but I didn't like the flat line of carbon fiber to plastic. Makes you want to by more CF :) The Tesla ones are nice since it blends in the black with the already black interior, the curve and lines match the seat lines and fits the style pretty well.
Interesting because I had an opposite non-attraction for the plastic insert in the Tesla CF sill as opposed to the seamless all-CF A&E sill;
guess that's why there are 31 different flavors of ice cream and that I still like Rocky Road! :wink:
!BZjtvFw!2k~$(KGrHgoOKjcEjlLmYj(RBKnUYs6iH!~~_35.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TESLA-MOTOR...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4148abb52c&vxp=mtr

Also, there are the CF door pulls:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TESLA-MOTOR...Parts_Accessories&hash=item414df66a58&vxp=mtr