Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Folsom, CA - Iron Point Rd. (4 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
first let me apologize if there is already a thread covering this topic, I searched around a bit but did not find it (I'm not the best at searching).

Every day on my commute from work I pass the Folsom Outlets in Folsom CA. A few months ago I noticed they started doing some work installing a fairly large transformer on the side of the road, honestly I thought nothing of it.
A few weeks ago I noticed some additional work, a crew was out pouring a fairly large concrete pad and doing landscape work, again I thought nothing of it.
I ended up getting stuck at work this evening and decided to grab a bite at the McDonald's in the Folsom Outlet parking lot and something caught my eye. I noticed what looked like parking bollard being installed. The first thing I had thought to myself was that it would be so cool if they were installing some CHAdeMO chargers here (There are two J1772 chargers elsewhere in the outlet mall that are ran by 350Green a company that has a CHAdeMO charger in the bay area).
I drove up to inspect it and found what I thought would make sense for car chargers, cement bases with conduit running through them with bollards to protect the chargers, and some significant electrical infrastructure to support them (transformer, pad with a large EATON brand electrical cabinet and two empty spots with conduit).
A few things bugged me instantly, first 350Green has gone radio-silent (think they were getting purchased by another charging company), why two spots (if this were blink then it would be a side-by-side unit) and the kicker - the potential chargers would be at the right rear of the car. Duh, that's where the Model S port is.

Quick shots of the parking spots:

Conduit going in to potential charger:

Shots of the electrical pad:

Written on the transformer:

Aerial view of the site:

NorCal map - In Sacramento area and between Bay Area and Tahoe:

Needless to say, if this is a Tesla Supercharger we should know soon.
Also, worth mentioning, the Sacramento area Nation Plug-in day even will be held at this location - conspiracy? I'm nearly certain of it.:cool:

Last edited:
I don't know nearly enough about this, but isn't the supercharger bigger? Unless tesla's tease wasn't to scale. We know it can fit in a fridge sized unit, so it definitely doesn't have to be huge. Are the numbers indicative of the power we can expect the sc to put out? Would go a long way to solidifying it

Sure seems to become an EV charging spot. But I don't see where battery storage would go. Plus I miss some concrete bases for a solar canopy.

Perhaps some supercharger installations come with grid-link only? In that case, 500kVA is slightly overkill for 2x90kW but would be OK for 5x90kW.

I think that big EATON box sometimes get used with CHAdeMO...

One of your pictures:

Picture of another site with Eaton CHAdeMO:

eaton-qc.jpg

Last edited:
Does the presence of the Model S there indicate to you that Tesla is working at that site?
Did you drive there in the Model S, LEAF, or something else?

My guess is the Blue Leaf, it's in the other pictures he posted above. What's new is the Model S in his latest picture.
Perhaps they want to try it out, after they finish the supercharger installation :)
Notice it's all covered up under blue plastic tarps.

It would be a good spot, if that's what it is. There is an outlet mall there, restaurants, hotel across the street, easy freeway exit, and a light rail station there. I'd rather have seen it where I50 and I80 intersect, though. But maybe we'll get that, too. :)

I don't know if this site is a Chademo but I notice they are displacing a grass island. I'm guessing that's what they are doing at the Laval exit as well. This could be a theme of Tesla buying "Dead" spots in parking lots.

34.984376,-118.947336

Attachments

• DC Tesla.JPG
    DC Tesla.JPG
    794.7 KB · Views: 765
That's a 'satellite' post that needs to be thin if they are going to install between spaces.

Jeez, they install enough power for 5 cars to simultaneously charge and people complain about its looks :rolleyes:
Yeah, who the f**k cares what it LOOKS like. It just needs to work and be in an area where I can kill an hour w/ the family. Yeah, yeah, 30 minutes, blah, blah. It'll be an hour all-in.

Though one thing I'm curious about is if you leave it longer than 30 mins will it slow the charge and go ahead and top off the pack instead of just an 80% charge?