Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
A place to discuss current Model S Software/Firmware updates what changes were made and any problems that appeared with the update.

contaygious found a discussion on the Tesla Motors forum regarding some of the promised features that have already been added to the current version. The direct link to the TM forum discussion is here

Wiki here
Model S software/firmware changelog

Last edited:
Moved my post here:

Looks like road traffic was just added to google maps in the firmware update
any firmware updates yet?| Tesla Motors

Looks like there were a few changes:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Model S Software Updates

Looks like the first notice from Tesla about a software update is out. Post thoughts about the update or any problems it has created.

Email from Tesla

Software Updates
In the next 2 weeks, your Model S will display an alarm clock icon in the status bar letting you know that new software is available. Model S updates its software wirelessly, providing new functionality throughout your term of ownership. The process to install these enhancements is outlined below.

Onboard Notification
The first time you enter your Model S after an update is made available, you will be shown a scheduling dialogue box. You can install immediately, confirm the suggested time, or schedule an alternate time. Once scheduled, the icon will change color from yellow (unscheduled) to white (scheduled). At any point before installation begins, you can re-schedule the installation.

IMPORTANT: Model S must be in Park and not driving when new software is being installed. A software update can take up to 2 hours to complete so be sure to select a time when the car can sit idle for this period.

If your car is charging when the update is scheduled, charging will temporarily stop and restart after the software is installed. If you are driving when the installation is scheduled, the installation will be cancelled.

Last edited:
I hope they post the features added and/or bugs fixed. Would really be nice to see the errata of known issues, but I highly doubt they would be that open.

Well release notes are fairly common -- and this is a car, so you'd want to know what's new. If they didn't release any for this update, I would guess minor bug fixes or patches, no real new features or functionality.

Hmm, it seems like they're mixing joosts blog and the announcement that software is coming or is available to jump to the conclusion (or at least imply) that this current update adds creep. Odd no owners have spoken up yet.

I'm very curious as well. I'd like to know if during the install process that TM makes the user aware of the differences they'll see with the new firmware.

Something like "With this update you'll notice blah, blah, blah, feature upgrade and here's how to use it. Also you'll notice that we fixed the blah, blah, blah, bug fixes, please let us know if you encounter any issues with this firmware update by contacting us at [email protected]"

This was posted on Telsa forums (http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/vin-74):

Rated Range (Functional Improvement)
Your Model S provides two Range estimates to help drivers determine driving distance. These range estimates are called Projected Range and Rated Range.

The Projected Range estimate predicts the car's range based on the driver's current driving state. In other words, Projected Range predicts how far the car can travel if the driver were to continue driving in their current style. This number is calculated by looking at energy use over the last 30 miles and assumes consistent energy use until the battery is depleted.

The Rated Range estimate predicts the car's range based on standardized range metrics set by the EPA. When your Model S was delivered, the Rated Range was based on the EPA's 2-cycle test, which yields approximately 300 miles of range after fully charging in Max Range mode. With the new software release, Model S will begin using the EPA's more aggressive 5-cycle test to predict the Rated Range. After a full Max Range mode charge, your Model S will now display approximately 265 - 269 miles of Rated Range.

It is important to note that the energy storage and driving capabilities of your Model S have not changed. Your car is simply using a more aggressive algorithm to calculate Rated Range to match the EPA's 5-cycle test. In practice, this means your Rated Range will be easier to 'beat' with efficient driving and will be more accurate given spirited driving.

Customize Range Display (New Feature)
The available range of your Model S is displayed in three locations: on the Instrument Panel while driving, on the Touchscreen's charging screen and on the Instrument Panel's charging screen. Your car currently displays the Rated Range in all these locations. With the new software, you can now elect to display the Projected or Rated Range. To customize this setting, use the Touchscreen to navigate to Controls>Settings>Units & Format.

Vehicle Entry / Exit (New Feature)
When approaching a parked Model S, the Instrument Panel screen and Touchscreen will turn on when any door is opened and the Media Player will begin playing whatever content was previously selected. The volume will be low until the driver enters the car and closes the driver's door. The volume will then ramp up to the previously set level. On exit, the volume ramps down when the driver door is opened and both screens remain on until the last door is closed. When all doors are closed, the Media Player stops and the screens turn off.

Right, a notification saying "A New Software Update Is Available..." but I haven't heard Tesla say anything about release notes. That's what I'm referring to...and it's likely too long to just display in a simple onscreen message.

they REALLY need to have release notes somewhere - make it only accessible to owners or whatever, but it's got to be there. I'd hate to not know what's different after a software update.