Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive size, weight, maintenance costs, lack of expected features=deposit refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
14 months after giving our deposit (#4768), we finally decided being an early adopter was not in the cards. The sheer mass of this vehicle is really the main reason, but the other reasons above were significant also. While the maintenance program is very comprehensive, it costs significantly more than we spend on our other cars, especially since we usually put only 8000 miles a year on our cars. While I'm sure folding mirrors, useful cupholders, more comfortable and supportive front seats amongst other things will certainly improve on subsequent models, I feel that for the price this car is costing, they could have done better on the interior. Those things being said, I think the car is gorgeous, handles well for such a large heavy vehicle, and is actually very impressive.

It really boils down to size and weight being the biggest factor why we opted out, especially after getting rid of our Panamera 6 months ago for the same reason.

Last week we got a refund on our Model X (#169) as well after I came to my senses and acknowledged I much prefer a sports car to any SUV.

On a positive note, there's $10,000 more now for my wife and me to frivolously spend now. I think a new TV is in order while the football season is young.

Looking forward to seeing what Gen III has to offer. I think that will better fit our needs.

Hopefully Tesla will be around so that you might be able to purchase a GenIII. Remember though, without first adopters it is very difficult for most startups to produce the future generations of their products. It's like the age old adage of the chicken and the egg...

The sheer mass of this vehicle is really the main reason,
It really boils down to size and weight being the biggest factor why we opted out, especially after getting rid of our Panamera 6 months ago for the same reason.

I understand size; I drive a Miata, so most cars seem big to me! ;-)

But where's the weight come into play? I'm confused how that's a factor. Are you having it shipped/imported somewhere? Just curious. Thanks.

Last week we got a refund on our Model X (#169) as well after I came to my senses and acknowledged I much prefer a sports car to any SUV.

On a positive note, there's $10,000 more now for my wife and me to frivolously spend now. I think a new TV is in order while the football season is young.

Looking forward to seeing what Gen III has to offer. I think that will better fit our needs.

Glad you did what felt right before getting a car you weren't completely happy with. There's always to Gen III car you mentioned or the next gen Roadster. Good luck.

I am worried that more of this is going to occur. What is unknown is whether the majority of reservation holders, who probably never read this forum, might get some sticker shock when they see all these new charges.

But, the earlier post also is relevant: If the Model S fails, there will be no Model X and no Gen III.

I just don't know how a company could screw up so many $70-100k sales(with an already hefty 25% profit margin),for a measly $2k. I too am worried of the model S flopping due to an idiotic reason. Wake up Tesla!

I just don't know how a company could screw up so many $70-100k sales(with an already hefty 25% profit margin),for a measly $2k. I too am worried of the model S flopping due to an idiotic reason. Wake up Tesla!
Where do you get $2k? The extra cost from a consumer impact is only the difference between Tesla's charge and the average maintenance costs of comparable vehicles.

I really doubt it's going to cause too many folks to blink. General purchasers aren't coming into the process with nearly the knowledge or preconceived expectations of folks here in the forum. They'll probably have decided to buy before seeing the maintenance and once that emotional decision is made most folks will rationalize away things like the maintenance requirements.

Tesla is going to spend close to the same money on ranger payroll, equipment, etc to service the car if maintenance was included. Therefore, they will be up a few thousand dollars which they otherwise wouldn't get, from this maintenance scheme.

One could just as easily say that a "measly $2k" isn't going to be a meaningful delta when you start from a $70k-$100k sales price, so it shouldn't affect most consumers' decision. Tesla Motors can't afford to give away $2k of additional services on every car--it's got a big loan to pay off, plus an aggressive ramp up of new vehicles to fund.

One could just as easily say that a "measly $2k" isn't going to be a meaningful delta when you start from a $70k-$100k sales price, so it shouldn't affect most consumers' decision. Tesla Motors can't afford to give away $2k of additional services on every car--it's got a big loan to pay off, plus an aggressive ramp up of new vehicles to fund.
I agree. Who here drives an M5? What's the yearly maintenance cost on that?

Not so sure ... it sounds like many on this forum are able to afford only the bottom of the line kit.
I suspect there have been MANY cancellations.
Tesla should have included in the price of the car the service for the first 4 years.
Do I think $600 pa/12,500 is unreasonable? Yes. Could I afford it. Absolutely. Justify it? No.
That's equal or more than I spent on my Lexus.