Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Reactions: dragonxt
Thanks for collecting these, Nigel.

Keeping the first post of this thread up to date is basically the same as having them in one subforum. I endorse the suggestion to compile them in a separate subforum. It will be a many folks favorite part of TMC!

Volker

IMG-20120920-00092.jpg

The Best CARS ever....

@777dgt - The display looks like it thinks you have a spoiler and black interior.

It's also mismatched on the driver door being opened, but presumably that's a temporal issue with the pictures themselves.

Not "and".

The door sill pair were removed. The side markers were added. So it's a wash That's what he said earlier...

So originally 4. Currently 4. Which 4 has changed over time.

And, frankly, one of them is just software so that doesn't count for as much in my book. If they put "Signature" on every page of the online manual and the manual is 1000 pages...

Got our Model S yesterday. Awesome. This has been quite a surreal experience as someone who had never driven an electric car or bought a car over $35k. This may lead you to believe I would be easily impressed. Maybe so. This is an incredible car in many aspects and has even lived up to my most rigorous expectations related to performance, fit and finish, tech and engineering.

First day- Ben trailered our car from Dania, prepped it (15 min), completed paperwork/payment (25 min), garage fit test and charging cable length test (15 min), review of all features (1.25 hrs- I love tech), and a short trip with the kids to Cocoa Beach for snacks (20 min). Not sure if I took long or short on these, but it didn't feel rushed. Afterwards, I had friends who wanted to drive so I let them take it for a while both with and without me. Most are NASA engineers in our neighborhood so they were eager to see Elon's SpaceX side project (as they put it). They gave it full performance tests and checked it over fully as if they had mental checklists of specific blueprints, design docs and 3D models- and of course they punched the accelerator too. They pointed out many things that I would not have known in welds, fit and finish, specific parts, and Li ion performance. Part of this was at NASA's KARS campground with $25 speeding tickets and no traffic. I went to a couple of places to look for mats for the trip the next day with the whole family. Found some Kraco rubber mats at Walmart that match the tan leather exactly. Also got a GoGear console that fits sideways in the console well and will serve my basic needs for now. Charged it on the new NEMA 14-50 at 31 mi per hour recharge at 39A to 252 mi in standard mode.

Second day- took my wife, 12 year old, 3 year old to Disney. the drive from Merritt Island is 134 mi R/T. The average flow of traffic for 80% of the drive is around 80-85mph. Another 10% of the drive is at 65-75mph and the remaining 10% at 40-45mph. I also pushed the acceleration 5 or 6 times for 10 seconds or so. It was 92 deg F and my wife was hot so we had the A/C on max for half the time and 73/65 the rest of the time. Even with all this working against the car, we still completed the trip with 50 miles rated and 37 projected. While this is way lower than some may have expected, it was a good real world test for us since this is further than our family members houses or either of my offices in Orlando and my commute of 104 miles per day. While I now know I cannot make it down to Miami unless I significantly change my driving habits and energy choices, I do know the car will meet my typical driving and economic objectives.

I hope this helps many of you who are waiting to get some real world insight as I have been. It is worth the wait. I have some pix at dmetcalf on Twitter if you want to see the delivery, console/mats and garage charger approach.

I look forward to hearing your stories...

Reactions: SMLBound
Trip with 50 miles rated and 37 projected. While this is way lower than some may have expected, it was a good real world test for us since this is further than our family members houses or either of my offices in Orlando and my commute of 104 miles per day. While I now know I cannot make it down to Miami unless I significantly change my driving habits and energy choices, I do know the car will meet my typical driving and economic objectives.

I hope this helps many of you who are waiting to get some real world insight as I have been. It is worth the wait. I have some pix at dmetcalf on Twitter if you want to see the delivery, console/mats and garage charger approach.

I look forward to hearing your stories...

A TM engineer reputedly said it takes about 6 mo. for people to get over "goosing it" for fun, and settle down to normal driving, at which point you should start to get better range. :wink:

Reactions: techmaven