Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading a 1.5 Roadster interior into a 2.X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been reading these forums for a while and, first, I wanted to say that this is a great community. You guys have some fantastic posts on here and it really is a great thing the way you all help each other out. And even as a non-owner, the content is engaging, exciting and informative. So thanks for that!

I’m a possible future Tesla Roadster owner and I had some questions that I wanted to bounce off of you guys. The only roadster that I have ever ridden in has been the older 1.5 2008. You can get some pretty good deals on these cars. But the 2010 2.X models have seemed to hold tight in the $90K+ range and that’s starting to get a little strong for me. However, I realize the 2.X makes strides in many ways (and even more if you get in the “Sport” category).

But let’s focus on the interior of the 2008 1.5 models. What would it take/cost to turn this 1.5 more into a 2.X? And on the flip side, what could I never accomplish that may be an overall frustration that I would be encouraged to spend the extra $$ up front (getting into a 2.X)?

• I think that the “stick shift” shifter is really nice looking. I know it serves no purpose. . . But I think it looks nice. Since this is a discussion about the interior, let’s assume that the shifter is good to go in my mind.
  • I know that the console down the center is significantly different from the 1.5 to the 2.X (not the least being the buttons for D, N, R, P as opposed to the shifter). But what about that little monitor that I see on 2.X versions down the center that’s not there on the 1.5? Does this provide a different service than the little monitor that is on the left side below the steering wheel on the 1.5?
  • What if I wanted to replace the entire dash? Or large portions of the dash? Is this something that is doable for a reasonable cost (~$5K)? What about parts? The newest dash with the more integrated 2 DIN navigation is so much nicer. . . Thoughts?
  • The carpet in the 1.5 that I drove seemed to be cobbled together. That is, you could look down the center of the car and see the aluminum foot wells and even some wiring. I want the car to feel more like a luxury automobile than a race car. Again – this is just my preference (sorry!). But I know I’m going to be going on 150 mile road trips with my girlfriend and I want her to feel comfortable (we have a 2001 MB SLK 320 that she adores, and I’d want to have her feel like she’s not taking a step back in the interior department).
  • What about after market tops – do you approve of one like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Opel-Speeds...2135156932953215198&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&
  • What about getting the stereo up to snuff? The 2008 1.5 owner that I met with said the stereo was not very good (I, honestly, thought it was fine when I drove it). But just for the sake of argument, is there room for a decent sub that wouldn't involve taking the car apart?
  • Finally, I’d like to have the noise deadened as much as possible – I know you can buy a kit for $3K. Then I’d need to install it. So that’s an expense (anyone know how much to get it done start to finish?). Is there a better way to get this done after-market from Tesla?

Since this is an interior discussion, I’m not too worried about the overall performance. (Please don’t hate me!). 3.7 seconds next to 3.9 seconds really means nothing to me. I’m more swayed by the overall look/feel of the car and the fact that it’s electric and undoubtedly super fast by anyone’s account. And I realize that by getting an older car, I’m losing some of the overall “life” on the battery. So I think I have that covered too (and will realize savings up front on a less expensive car than one with the best battery that’s 2 years younger but $30K+ more).

JohnnyLounge21;187815 [LIST said:
[*]I think that the “stick shift” shifter is really nice looking. I know it serves no purpose. . . But I think it looks nice. Since this is a discussion about the interior, let’s assume that the shifter is good to go in my mind.
[*]I know that the console down the center is significantly different from the 1.5 to the 2.X (not the least being the buttons for D, N, R, P as opposed to the shifter). But what about that little monitor that I see on 2.X versions down the center that’s not there on the 1.5? Does this provide a different service than the little monitor that is on the left side below the steering wheel on the 1.5?
[*]What if I wanted to replace the entire dash? Or large portions of the dash? Is this something that is doable for a reasonable cost (~$5K)? What about parts? The newest dash with the more integrated 2 DIN navigation is so much nicer. . . Thoughts?
[*]The carpet in the 1.5 that I drove seemed to be cobbled together. That is, you could look down the center of the car and see the aluminum foot wells and even some wiring. I want the car to feel more like a luxury automobile than a race car. Again – this is just my preference (sorry!). But I know I’m going to be going on 150 mile road trips with my girlfriend and I want her to feel comfortable (we have a 2001 MB SLK 320 that she adores, and I’d want to have her feel like she’s not taking a step back in the interior department).
[*]What about after market tops – do you approve of one like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Opel-Speeds...2135156932953215198&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&
[*]What about getting the stereo up to snuff? The 2008 1.5 owner that I met with said the stereo was not very good (I, honestly, thought it was fine when I drove it). But just for the sake of argument, is there room for a decent sub that wouldn't involve taking the car apart?
[*]Finally, I’d like to have the noise deadened as much as possible – I know you can buy a kit for $3K. Then I’d need to install it. So that’s an expense (anyone know how much to get it done start to finish?). Is there a better way to get this done after-market from Tesla?
[/LIST]

Since this is an interior discussion, I’m not too worried about the overall performance. (Please don’t hate me!). 3.7 seconds next to 3.9 seconds really means nothing to me. I’m more swayed by the overall look/feel of the car and the fact that it’s electric and undoubtedly super fast by anyone’s account. And I realize that by getting an older car, I’m losing some of the overall “life” on the battery. So I think I have that covered too (and will realize savings up front on a less expensive car than one with the best battery that’s 2 years younger but $30K+ more).

I recently did the same thing. Really wanted a 2.5 sport - but decided that given the way I would use the car, it would be 95% as much fun to have any roadster and I could get a 2008 for 30-50K less. Now, of course, I've started trying to add in some of the 2.0/2.5 stuff I didn't get.

- I'm keeping the stick (although I like the buttons better.)
- The monitors have the same info - they are just in different spots. I find the left side to be fine - out of the sun and I can see it or reach it through the window when charging. There are some firmware differences in a 2.0 - but I don't expect you can do anything about that.
- 99% certain that Tesla is about to offer a double-din dash/stereo upgrade. No price yet - but I expect just over 5K since the electronics package was 4.5K to start. Only 1 panel needs to be replaced - the rest are pretty much the same in the 2.0.
- I think the carpet is the same. Executive leather in the 2.0/2.5 is very nice - but its a sports car. A Roadster is no Mercedes no matter what you do. Any car customizer/upholsterer should be able to add more carpet and leather.
- Don't know about that top. You can find lots of 1.5s with a hardtop included.
- I hate the current stereo. I expect to get the double-din upgrade - but there are other good choices as well including pop-out double-dins from Kenwood and Pioneer and speakers from Focal.
- if you want a quiet car, get another Mercedes. The Roadster squeaks, rattles, whistles, and moans. That's who it is. :smile: I decided to pass on the sound deadening. In any case, the $3K includes installation.

I also added 2.0 premium seats to my car. Slightly more comfortable and much better looking than the base seats.

Thanks so much for your responses. It's great to hear that some folks are/were in a similar boat. And it sounds like this is doable.

- When you said firmware, do you mean how the screen actually looks? Or does it actually have an impact on vehicle performance from a software perspective?
- Sounds great about the double-DIN upgrade forthcoming. I've seen several images of it getting done (I think this was on the Elise). Any idea what happens to the existing stereo then? I mean, it's removed and then what goes in its place?
- Great point on the carpet - just get it done the way I need/want it from an upholsterer and hope it's not too $$$.
- I'll do more research on the top. I obviously like the reduced expense and the way it appears to be integrated with the car (the hard top from Tesla annoyingly seems to hang off the back and there's a gap there). I also like a top that is NOT opaque and this after-market fits that bill. I'll research more on it.
- Good to know about the stereo and that it's really not the best out there. The key will be to get a sub in there b/c at high speeds you're not going to hear anything without a some bass. I'm sure an aftermarket guy can get it done (to your carpet/leather point made earlier).
- Great thoughts on the quiet car topic. It's fully understandable as to what the car is. Great to know that the $3K is an "out the door" cost if I go that route
- How did you go about getting the premium seats? Were they from a salvaged Tesla? Or bought new? What was the cost start to finish on this?

Again - much thanks for the conversation on this. It's just a matter of time before I join you guys!

I don't understand all of the firmware differences - but there are functional ones related to traction control and other things. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I expect that the Double Din upgrade will be much like the 2.5 Electronics package. An Alpine (or similar) head unit with Nav and a backup camera, a small amp, and upgraded speakers (including door tweeters). Option to add XM. Not much of a place to put a sub - but some people have done "tube" subs in the passenger footwell.

I got the seats from some overstocks sitting in the parts room in Menlo Park. I had to order matching door inserts to be make in the UK. Not here yet. I think Tesla can still have full seats made to order as well. I think the total would be about $$3500-4K for new premium seats and inserts installed. I got several hundred off for using the back-room leftovers.

Look in other threads - there is supposed to be a gen-2 sound deadening/insulation kit as well. $3800.

I purchased a 1.5 and it had the better stereo and i think it sounds great. May not say much for my other cars though. I also added the sound reduction and it made a noticable difference. The ranger was great and i added 4dynamat kits for even more reduction. To me it makes the car far more refined and solid. I also thought the $3000 included labor. But even with the extra it is no Mercedes or even Chevy Avalanche.

Last edited:
I'm staying stock, I'll add a few Tesla upgrades but not doing anything drastic. Changes in any car that deviates from its original design drops its price a good bit if you ever do resell it.

I'm very happy with my 1.5 design, it fits me and I fit it. I wouldn't want it any other way :)

>But even with the extra it is no Mercedes or even Chevy Avalanche.

God, that Chevy Avalanche is just that... is should have just went over the side of a mountain in an Avalanche. What an insult to trucks making that thing! It was like the darn engineers from the Pontiac Aztec were put on GM's Truck design team. Ugly. Plastic all over the place on a truck... come on!

Don't get me going on Mercedes, pure overpriced junk. Had a 1999 300d turbo diesel that was nothing but pure design faults. Broken glow plugs, frozen seized bearings in the front wheels that were under-greased and made in japan. Won't ever purchase another Mercedes ever in my life!

Last edited:
> Executive leather in the 2.0/2.5 is very nice - but its a sports car. [Andrew Wolfe]

This is the thickest, sturdiest leather I've ever seen. Stands up to dust, sand, gravel, cattledog- takes a lickin' & keeps on tickin'. I've been warned NOT to expect this refractory quality in any of the ModelS offerings, so chose the cloth instead. Was my 2.0 just lucky enough to get the hides off Orkney Island yaks??
--

Thanks so much for your responses. It's great to hear that some folks are/were in a similar boat. And it sounds like this is doable.

- When you said firmware, do you mean how the screen actually looks? Or does it actually have an impact on vehicle performance from a software perspective?
- Sounds great about the double-DIN upgrade forthcoming. I've seen several images of it getting done (I think this was on the Elise). Any idea what happens to the existing stereo then? I mean, it's removed and then what goes in its place?
- Great point on the carpet - just get it done the way I need/want it from an upholsterer and hope it's not too $$$.
- I'll do more research on the top. I obviously like the reduced expense and the way it appears to be integrated with the car (the hard top from Tesla annoyingly seems to hang off the back and there's a gap there). I also like a top that is NOT opaque and this after-market fits that bill. I'll research more on it.
- Good to know about the stereo and that it's really not the best out there. The key will be to get a sub in there b/c at high speeds you're not going to hear anything without a some bass. I'm sure an aftermarket guy can get it done (to your carpet/leather point made earlier).
- Great thoughts on the quiet car topic. It's fully understandable as to what the car is. Great to know that the $3K is an "out the door" cost if I go that route
- How did you go about getting the premium seats? Were they from a salvaged Tesla? Or bought new? What was the cost start to finish on this?

Again - much thanks for the conversation on this. It's just a matter of time before I join you guys!

The matter about the hard top that you are looking for is widely dicussed in another thread (Clear hardtop on EBay)

Really appreciate all of the discussion and the redirect for the Clear Ebay hard top.

I don't know if I agree that making interior upgrades would reduce the value of the car. I don't think anyone out there wouldn't prefer to have something like the double-DIN on the dash or upgraded leather seats and not appreciate it. Certainly not a reduction in value but you may not recoup your investment completely. . . Now, adding a giant wing on the back of the trunk or a giant flame on the hood - that's a different matter :scared:

Really appreciate all of the discussion and the redirect for the Clear Ebay hard top.

I don't know if I agree that making interior upgrades would reduce the value of the car. I don't think anyone out there wouldn't prefer to have something like the double-DIN on the dash or upgraded leather seats and not appreciate it. Certainly not a reduction in value but you may not recoup your investment completely. . . Now, adding a giant wing on the back of the trunk or a giant flame on the hood - that's a different matter :scared:

I agree. We are not talking about a car that was lauded for its interior design. Also - there will be no such thing as a "stock" 25-yr old Tesla. Batteries will be replaced. Probably other power train components as well.

Here's a clip on what reduces a collectors car value:
"If there are a lot of modifications and renovations done to your car then also the value and worth of your car would be reduced because the originality of the car is lost."

Changing the interior from a 1.5 to a 2.5 looses the originality of the 1.5 Roadster. I'm just saying, when people buy a car to be collectors they want it to be as close to being original, one thing being the interior. I also disagree about powertrain components being replaced, its not an ICE vehicle. Yes there will be a few that will have different PEMs and possilby others that upgrade the motor, but the majority of the Roadsters I hope in 25 years will be close to stock as possible with the only difference being a better battery pack.