Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will after market mats be necessary or will the Tesla mats be up to snuff?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I test drove the Model S a few weeks ago I paid no attention to the floor mats. But based on my experience with many other cars, this seems to be one area where things tend to be done on the cheap. I've frequently bought Lloyd's mats to replace the OEM mats. I hope this won't be necessary on the Model S, but just in case I emailed Lloyd's today to inquire if they plan to make Model S mats. No reply as yet.

Here's a link to the Lloyd's web page on their top-of-the-line Luxe mats, which I've found to be of extraordinary quality.

Luxe Mats | Lloyd Mats

Just received an email message from Lloyds:

We now have the Tesla Model S pattern. You may contact a Lloyd retailer
to place your order.

I doing a test drive at the DC store on Sunday, so I'll be checking out the stock mats very carefully: backing, pile depth, thickness of weave, etc. to determine if the Lloyd's are better quality.

Also just requested a sample of the various color choices. There nine colors.

Last edited:
I visited the Washington DC store today for a second test drive, this in the 85 kWh non-performance version. I've posted another thread on the driving experience as well as photos of the interior on the interior photo thread, but the purpose of this thread is to comment on the interior mats/carpets. As the other photos posted have not shown the mats/carpets up close, I thought it would be good to take some close ups while I was shooting the interior.

As the photos illustrate, the mats/carpets are pretty much standard manufacturer's stuff: decent but not top quality worthy of a luxury car. The pile is not very deep and the weave is rather coarse. Here are a few photos.

DSC_2186.JPG

DSC_2185.JPG

Regrettably, most luxury cars have carpet/mats of this rather ordinary quality. These are not adequate for me, so I'll be getting a set of Lloyd's Luxe mats, which in my experience are the best of the after-market carpets available. Lloyd's has 12 different color choices for the Luxe version , so I've asked them to send me samples. As soon as they arrive, I'll visit a Tesla store and photograph them in the interior and post the photos here, so all can see how they match the interior and make their own choices.

Some others on this thread have suggest using rubber mats available from a number of manufacturers. Not for me. IMHO, the rubber mats are more appropriate for an SUV or soothing like a Honda Element. But not for a luxury car. I've installed the Lloyd's Luxe mats in all of my cars and they hold up quite well in snow and other inclement weather when lots of gunk are dragged into the car by shoes and boots. The Lloyd's clean up like new all the time, most likely because they're treated to prevent stains and to enable easy cleaning.

More when I get the Lloyd's samples, probably this week.

Attachments

• DSC_2186.JPG
    DSC_2186.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,069
Some others on this thread have suggest using rubber mats available from a number of manufacturers. Not for me. IMHO, the rubber mats are more appropriate for an SUV or soothing like a Honda Element. But not for a luxury car. I've installed the Lloyd's Luxe mats in all of my cars and they hold up quite well in snow and other inclement weather when lots of gunk are dragged into the car by shoes and boots. The Lloyd's clean up like new all the time, most likely because they're treated to prevent stains and to enable easy cleaning.

I find this interesting. We've got rubber mats in our A6, Q5 and R8 because none of us care enough to constantly wipe feet and such for carpet. If you say these mats can hold up though, I'd be interested in trying them.

Actually, there were no mats in the car, only the carpet that lines the floor and side panels. None in the front and none in the rear. I looked for hooks, but there were none that I could find. Maybe there are mats that had been removed for test drives, but I didn't ask. But judging what I saw of the quality of the other carpeting, if the mats were missing they're probably not made at a higher level of quality. Perhaps others can check this out when they do test drives.

I find this interesting. We've got rubber mats in our A6, Q5 and R8 because none of us care enough to constantly wipe feet and such for carpet. If you say these mats can hold up though, I'd be interested in trying them.

I live in Maryland, and we do get some heavy snow, rain, and other testy stuff during the winter. The Lloyds clean up quite well. The wear is negligible, even thought they don't have a heel pad, because the pile is so high and tightly woven. Perhaps the thickness of the weave keeps all of the gunk on the surface, where it's easy to clean up. But my experience with them has been great. They're not inexpensive: I think complete set they sell for the Model S would total over $500.

I think you'll have very different responses to this question based on lifestyle, location and preference. I just got my S and searched high and low for something functional for my rather messy family of four (baseball, soccer, beach, outside activities constantly). We need rubber mats (ours came with two front black carpet mats on the black carpet with Velcro on the bottom, no Tesla indictia). I looked at many and decided to go down the Walmart aisle while looking for a console organizer and saw some tan KRACO raised rubber mats with raised borders for mud, sand, etc. the color matches my tan leather exactly. Note it is less orange than the demo models... It has a big label in red that says "best" on it. Hope this helps some of you that need the functionality of an active family.

Does Tesla intall 'hooks' to prevent the mats from sliding?

It used to be that accelerator pedals were hinged on the floor and drivers were expected to insure the mats were properly located before they started driving and during driving as well. I'm guessing it will be a good day when all the driving responsibility is taken away from the driver and the occupants of a car will all be passengers.

On my car (VIN 112, delivered 2 days ago) the front mats have velcro on the back to keep them in place. (There are no mats elsewhere.)

It's clear now that the mats were not in either the car I test drove or the demo model on the store floor, so I don't want to have made an unfair judgment about something I didn't see or inspect. What's your impression of the mat quality (pile depth, tightness of weave, quality of backing, etc.).

I'd be interested as well artsci...I've never seen any non-rubber mat that didn't leak water from slush & snow through to the base level of the main carpet...

I live in Maryland, and we do get some heavy snow, rain, and other testy stuff during the winter. The Lloyds clean up quite well. The wear is negligible, even thought they don't have a heel pad, because the pile is so high and tightly woven. Perhaps the thickness of the weave keeps all of the gunk on the surface, where it's easy to clean up. But my experience with them has been great. They're not inexpensive: I think complete set they sell for the Model S would total over $500.