Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: Galaxy S3 bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I took my test drive this week; it was absolutely thrilling to gun the Model S on the road -- especially next to a Mazerati that happened to be on the road :)

However, when playing with the center console, a lot of the "beta" feel issues popped up. Amongst the most annoying of which was that my Galaxy S3 (Verizon) phone wouldn't connect via bluetooth with the car. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a known solution?

It appears to work fine with some phones -- obviously the iPhone.

I just thought there'd be other people out there with Galaxy S3's that have tried to pair with the Tesla. Seems like a glaring bug if certain phones -- all of which use bluetooth -- can't work with it.

Seems like a glaring bug if certain phones -- all of which use bluetooth -- can't work with it.

The problem here is that Bluetooth isn't Bluetooth. That is, Bluetooth is a suite of communication protocols (profiles in Bluetooth speak) and both devices have to implement the same profiles or they can't converse. Generally, any given device only has a limited set of profiles.

It does come with a hotspot capability, but I don't know if you can tether via WiFi on the Model S and access the phone's controls like you can via bluetooth.

I did come across several potential solutions; I googled Galaxy S3 bluetooth problems and it's possible the problem I was having was that I had "visible only to paired devices" set. Generally, the Galaxy S3 is used as the host bluetooth device, so this issue never really came up. Next time I'm by a store, I'll try again with the device set to be visible to everything.

Ok, You can get a Galaxy S3 to pair w/ Model S.

Make sure that your phone is discoverable.
Start the pairing sequence from Model S.
Start pairing sequence from phone.
Finish on phone.
Finish on Model S.

(this is the general idea when pairing w/ a Galaxy S3)

For those who didn't know how to set Galaxy S3 bluetooth to "discoverable" mode, be sure to click on the check be (circle in red below) when in bluetooth setting:

Screenshot_2012-12-23-14-43-23.jpg

The phone should become visible for about 2 mins to allow Models S to discover it:

Screenshot_2012-12-23-14-51-21.jpg

Enjoy! Love my car so far!

No issues until yesterday. NO new updates to the S. Won't find my GS3. Deleted the Model S off my GS3 and deleted my GS3 off my Model S. Tried to re-pair (clicking the check box), but they won't find each other. Have rebooted my GS3 and stopped and started my Model S. This is the 2nd day this happened in a row after a month without problems. Maybe I should try and reboot the screens of the Model S? :confused:

A buddy of mine also bought a Model S and has a GS3. We couldn't get it to pair so I called Tesla and they basically confirmed that it seems to be on the list of non-compatible phones (for now). They said there appear to be others as well but they're trying to compile a list so they can address it. W. Petefish, were you able to actually pair one to the MS yourself?

Maybe I should try and reboot the screens of the Model S? :confused:
That did the trick... working now.

- - - Updated - - -

A buddy of mine also bought a Model S and has a GS3. We couldn't get it to pair so I called Tesla and they basically confirmed that it seems to be on the list of non-compatible phones
As noted in my previous post, I've had my GS3 paired for a month and now again is paired less 2 days. Curious what that means "basically confirmed"? :tongue: