Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Event 2012/9/24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Twitter:

"Tesla Supercharger unveiling event set for Sept 24. It will feel like alien spaceships landed at highway rest stops."

Twitter / elonmusk: Tesla Supercharger unveiling ...

Huge news. Couple of instant thoughts: I have expected these will likely be Mobil charge stations. Maybe I am wrong but have always felt that these are likely to be driven to a spot where they can distribute a supercharge, minimizing the need for stationary infrastructure. Second, I am a little disappointed they are apparently not partnering with a Walmart tpre store for chargers everywhere. Think about how that would dumb down range anxiety and introduce Tesla to the folks awaiting a Model E. Of course, that may be down the line and as a J1772 or similar AC connector, not DC supercharge.

In any case, watch for a little stock bump and some buzz if the superchargers are really well distributed. My range anxiety is turning into range relaxation.

"...It will feel like alien spaceships landed at highway rest stops."

Full service attendent appears to plug in for you:
centurion.jpg

Huge news. Couple of instant thoughts: I have expected these will likely be Mobil charge stations. Maybe I am wrong but have always felt that these are likely to be driven to a spot where they can distribute a supercharge, minimizing the need for stationary infrastructure. Second, I am a little disappointed they are apparently not partnering with a Walmart tpre store for chargers everywhere. Think about how that would dumb down range anxiety and introduce Tesla to the folks awaiting a Model E. Of course, that may be down the line and as a J1772 or similar AC connector, not DC supercharge.

In any case, watch for a little stock bump and some buzz if the superchargers are really well distributed. My range anxiety is turning into range relaxation.

The problem is the stupid amount of instantaneous power they need. You need some big copper to plug into. 90kW hookup isn't something that is easy to find. I think these are going to be VERY permanent installs.

Worked for me. But holy ****, we get FREE charging for LIFE at any Supercharger location. And they'll have most of the US covered in 2 years. DAAAAAAAMN!

Also, they're powered by solar with a panel capacity designed to put back into the grid more power than the combined Tesla fleet will use. That's awesome!