Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty/Servicing - official Tesla responses (incl GeorgeB)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Recently there's been much drama regarding Warranty/Servicing.

Starting a new thread hoping we can consolidate official responses from Tesla in one place and keep the drama/commentary in separate threads. Perhaps the mods can help.

I'll add some of my mail thread with Walter momentarily.

- - - Updated - - -

2012/09/12 - 2012/09/13
brianman said:
Hi, Walter. No complaints this time. Just a request for some more information...

I see the recent update with 4 yr service plans:
http://www.teslamotors.com/service

I'd like to see more about what the warranty covers or not.

Actually, more generally my question is this:

Is there an offering for bumper to bumper service and (extended?) warranty for 8 years? I basically want the "everything's covered, just enjoy the vehicle for 8 years" plan. Will that be available, and at what price?
Walter Franck said:
Hi, good to hear from you.

The warranty is very robust. The idea is if something breaks due to a defect we’ll fix it (for example, if a door handle doesn’t operate or your power rear lift gate isn’t operating we will fix it). The annual service will take care of all consumable items except tires.

At the moment Tesla does not have an extended warranty. I have fielded this request a few times, it’s usually near the top of my list for customer requests that I send to management.
brianman said:
if something breaks due to a defect we’ll fix it
So when the headlights burn out or the brake pads need replacing, are those included (parts and labor) or not? I'm a bit confused by this conditional.

I think you mean something more like "extreme conditions like converting it to a hovercraft and taking it to the arctic aren't covered," but the phrasing used is much broader than that.
Walter Franck said:
Items covered under warranty would not have a labor cost. I am waiting on a reply from my service team on if headlight bulbs are covered, I’ll keep you up to date.
Walter Franck said:
The warranty will cover everything with the exception of tires during the warranty period. Headlights, taillights, door handles, touch screen, steering wheel and so on are covered.

Alterations such as hovercraft kits, external rockets and warp drives will not be supported. Excessive application of bumper stickers may be frowned upon.

Tesla has had a lot of practice taking great care of Roadsters and we plan to continue this by taking great care of Model S.

An e-mail I received... Looking forward the blog post... it should make us all feel better I think.

Joost de Vries said:
You raise some good points in your email and I've discussed in Tesla where the communication could have been misconstrued.
George will come out with a blog in a day or so that dives deeper into some of the questions and comments posed.

What I can say as a prelude to that is that the $600 per year/12,500 miles is really an all-in, everything covered price with the
only exclusion tires as this depends on the 'right foot' of the owner which dictates how much rubber they leave on the road.

Light bulbs, alignments, rotation, fluids, wipers, brakes whatever is included and with the unlimited Ranger service it is included
basically no matter where. Our owners should have ZERO uncertainty about owning our cars apart from the happy right foot
when stomping on the accelerator pedal.

Please give it a few days until George's blog comes out, it should clarify open questions people have.

Regards, Joost

service fee might be worth it...

An e-mail I received... Looking forward the blog post... it should make us all feel better I think.

notice alignment is included!!! i don't know about everyone else but even in atlanta, there are plenty of potholes and without the lifetime alignment from the tire shop i would be out at least a grand considering how many times i've gotten my wheels aligned.

i'd like to see if that really comes through, especially if i can use the ranger service once-twice a year for a wheel alignment. if that's the case then i think the service cost is absolutely worth it.

From Roadster owners....or those in the know, how much of this service could rangers do? ? ? ?

I would think all of it just about, right? ? ? Otherwise, what to do about owners who live no where near a service center.....

They could do almost everything that didn't require putting the car up on a lift. So outside of replacing the battery and maybe a few other things, they really did quite a lot in the field. You may have seen pictures where the entire front of the car was off and parts all over the place during a service. They once spent 8 hours with almost the entire front of the car in pieces trying to fix the AC before deciding they needed to take it to Chicago for a mini-vacation and discovering it was a faulty circuit board or sensor that measured incoming
cabin temperature. He was on the phone with Tesla engineers throughout the day trying to diagnose the problem as well. Others have more information but that was my only major service at my house.

Thanks for clarifying that and reaching out to him. Glad they're going to try and address some of the concerns raised here. I have a feeling that while it still may be on the expensive side, people will be happy with the level of service they'll receive from Tesla.

The Rangers will sometimes use third party garages to do certain things, such as tire replacements, when required. If it's something bigger they can trailer it back to their service center and return it to you later.

I do still think it's a little pricey for people who live near a service center, but the anywhere plan is a great deal for people like me, 400 km from thr nearest location.

The Rangers will sometimes use third party garages to do certain things, such as tire replacements, when required. If it's something bigger they can trailer it back to their service center and return it to you later.

I do still think it's a little pricey for people who live near a service center, but the anywhere plan is a great deal for people like me, 400 km from thr nearest location.

I will DEFINITELY get the "anywhere" plan. I do hope they eventually place service centers in geographically balanced locations rather than just hitting the highest concentration of customers; it's a bit circular otherwise.