Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trees -vs- Solar Panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone told me about that article but I hadn't actually seen it before.
It is sort of "green vs green". A neighbor about 5 houses a way from me has a very large tree that puts a small shadow on my panels in the winter months for a small portion of the day. I would never think of hassling them about it. To me the tree is as important as the tad of sunlight I miss. Besides I don't want to hassle my neighbors over something like that.

It reminds me of another story I saw where someone moved in next to an airport then sued them over the noise.

Lake Tahoe had a huge problem with people cutting down trees to get better views of the lake. Now they are really touchy about protecting the trees.

Now playing in Lake Forest: Mr. T in chainsaw massacre

Last edited:
I'm surprised the solar panel guy won, but I guess nuisance laws have been extended to sunlight, too.

Airports get sued -- and closed -- over noise all the time. It continues to be a big reason that the AOPA fights development of residential communities near airports. Santa Monica airport, one of the oldest continuously operating airports in the country, may be closed sometime soon, perhaps as early as 2012, partly in reponse to noise issues.