Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gray "Performance" Wheels are available to those who don't order a Performance Model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point.

Makes sense to do that. It is just wheels after all. Maybe the CF trim and spoiler will be the only differentiating cosmetic factors.

Now if only they would allow you to get the CF trim at an extra cost. I might splurge and pay an extra $500 for it over the other 4 trim options, and I imagine others would consider the same. Just more ways for Tesla to make money, which ain't a bad thing. Just provide the Performance badging to differentiate between models (not that anyone driving the Performance model will need any reminder above simply stepping on the gas!).

<sarcasm>

OMGWTFBBQ!!11!!eleventy-one!!!1!!

I can't believe Tesla has just diluted the value of my Performance car by offering the gray wheels for sale. When I configured my car, it said clearly on the web site that only performance cars were available with the gray wheels!! Tesla changed the contract on me after I signed, and it's just another reason that it's a {bait-and-switch|overpromise-and-underdeliver}. I can't believe this, they've gone too far this time, and there isn't anything I can do because they took my $10,000!

</sarcasm>

I'm happy to see the options opening up... with this and things like soflauthor's CCI, I'm hoping the seed is planted for a healthy ecosystem for Model S.

Wow they must have received a lot of requests for grey wheels. I'm ok with differentiation personally, but glad people can get them too. At least I have my spoiler that looks like anyone could have bought and stuck on haha.

5,200 for wheels and tires does make me think performance is a good deal though. Might as well upgrade all the way!

Wow they must have received a lot of requests for grey wheels. I'm ok with differentiation personally, but glad people can get them too. At least I have my spoiler that looks like anyone could have bought and stuck on haha.

5,200 for wheels and tires does make me think performance is a good deal though. Might as well upgrade all the way!

It's really the difference over the base wheels and tires. So 5200 - 2800 (I believe) or 2400 for the wheel plus tire upgrade.

Although it's great they have the 21" available, I keep hoping they come out with 19" grey wheels before my time to finalize. I really do not want 21" nor performance tires but, oh, the grey looked so amazing on my test drive vehicle, in the colour I plan to get. I asked the rep and he said no plans at that time :(

Although it's great they have the 21" available, I keep hoping they come out with 19" grey wheels before my time to finalize. I really do not want 21" nor performance tires but, oh, the grey looked so amazing on my test drive vehicle, in the colour I plan to get. I asked the rep and he said no plans at that time :(

I've said it in other threads, but I plan on just powder coating my 19s. It'll only cost a few hundred bucks.

I've said it in other threads, but I plan on just powder coating my 19s. It'll only cost a few hundred bucks.

Would powder coating affect the wheel's sensors? (e.g. tire pressure sensor) I have no experience with either powder coating nor wheels with sensors (driving my 1999 Mazda Protege...yes, this will be an upgrade :) Although the wife has a BMW, I don't think it has tire pressure monitors - particularly given she shredded some run flats not knowing they were actually flat......

Last edited:
+1 here... 21" will not work for us here. I plan on doing a lot of hiking and camping with the fam and I need to be able to go onto gravel roads with pot holes and I need an all whether tire as well... but oh my do those gray turbine wheels look so fine!

I see that the wheels can be bought separately from the car, however to those who have already/are currently configuring, is it possible to outfit the vehicle with the gray wheels from the start in a non-performance version? It does not show that option in the current design studio.

I see that the wheels can be bought separately from the car, however to those who have already/are currently configuring, is it possible to outfit the vehicle with the gray wheels from the start in a non-performance version? It does not show that option in the current design studio.

Not directly. If you want separate winter wheels just get the car with 19" all seasons and buy the gray 21" wheels with summer tires separately. If you only want the one set, try to set up a swap with someone that's getting a perf but wants 19" wheels.