Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key / Key Fob ---> Credit card key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sublimaze1

8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins
Sep 6, 2012
Basin City, TX
So I must admit, that I like the thought and concept behind the key. It is sleek and makes a certain style statement.

I do not know the actual mechanism of it's transmission (e.g. bluetooth, RFID, etc.) - but I assume it is RFID due to power consumption issues. I am sure someone will come along to refute or support.

Nonetheless, I have thrown out the idea (to my customer service advocate) of having an option to have this built into a card, such as a credit card sized item, to place in your wallet. I know that I, for one, would be elated to have this in my wallet, which is on me at all times.

Pros:
- always with me
- thin and compact
- no keychain

Cons:
- not a traditional key for the valet (well, neither is an onyx sculpture)
- cost
- loss

So this post leads me to two questions

(1) Is this feasible?

(2) Does anyone on this forum see something I don't (e.g. this is a stupid idea because ...)?

Thanks in advance
WJ
P188
McKinney, Texas

I like the concept. I agree it would be much thinner and always on me... Or better yet one of those smaller thin cards that is about a third the size of a full credit card.

Security-wise I'd be concerned about a valet using the card and some how copying the device (electronics) codes.

Edit: plus how would you pop the frunk, trunk, or lock the doors?
The fob is more than just a near field item.

This is not a new concept. I have a credit card key for my Lexus LS600hL (5 years old now). I never found it useful. Since I need my regular keys with me to get into the house or office, having the credit card key in my wallet was just redundant and didn't help. Also, trying to hand it to a valet just got blank stares. So for the last 5 years it has sat in a drawer with my spare valet key for the car. Tesla should spend their time working on other things.

Edit: plus how would you pop the frunk, trunk, or lock the doors?
The fob is more than just a near field item.

This is what I was thinking. I suppose there could still be buttons on it though. If we're going to go this far though, I'd prefer a wrist band like the Nike Fuel band:

Review: Nike+ Fuelband - YouTube

This is not a new concept. I have a credit card key for my Lexus LS600hL (5 years old now). I never found it useful. Since I need my regular keys with me to get into the house or office, having the credit card key in my wallet was just redundant and didn't help. Also, trying to hand it to a valet just got blank stares. So for the last 5 years it has sat in a drawer with my spare valet key for the car. Tesla should spend their time working on other things.

Does the lexus have keyless entry? I can't see carrying and using a key being easier than something like a credit card. Keep it in your wallet (which you rarely forget -- and if you can't start your car, chances are, you'll never leave home without it again), start your car and go. With the door handles being what they are, you never need to take the key out. If it were a wristband you could push buttons on it for trunk, charge door etc.

As for valet... Out East, I can barely think of a single place off-hand where I'd need to Valet. I went to a wedding recently where they had a valet, but I asked to park the car myself. Either way, keep a spare key somewhere for that I suppose, or just leave the card in the car and tell the valet it will automatically turn on. *shrug* First world problems :)

For my Merrill on-line brokerage account I have an active encryption card. Its exactly the thickness and shape of a credit card, yet has an LCD display and a button to generate the code. Very slick. Until I saw that I was not aware of the amazing electronics that could be packed into a tiny thin piece of plastic!

Its made by NagraID security NagraID Security Home

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon
I know this is an old thread, but I really miss my credit card key from my Lexus LS 600hL when I have to carry the fob from the Tesla.

The key always was in my wallet, I never could forget my car keys or lose them. But you would have to design the key to have some buttons (perhaps hidden inside a cover), to open the frunk, trunk, and charge port to truly make it a killer.

BTW Dr Computer, small world to find another LS600hL owner. I've only seen 1 on the road in 7 years. And it's much quieter inside and has better ergonomics inside than the Tesla, but I digress.