Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PINK Model S! Custom colors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um, yeah, so...ummm yeah, apparently there is a pink model S sitting at the factory. So many questions...

The Unicorn of Model S | XC in a Tesla Model S
20120907-170037.jpg

Reactions: bcashman
Early reservationists were able to pay 12k for any color they wanted. As posted by the owner in another thread, this color is from an older mustang and they lovingly call it "the big gay car".

Heh, that about cover it?

AFAIC, for a car that'll cost most of us up to or more than $100,000, we should STILL be able to get any color we want, including the "cherry red". Aka sig.

This is extremely obsurd. Pricing is set as the car sits. To assume they could afford to paint your car any color without effecting cost is insane.

On another note, it sure looks similar to a roadster that was custom done... Wonder if it is the same gentleman...

If Tesla refunds my $35,000 additional deposit with interest and lowers the price by $3,550, I agree.

I agree. There is absolutely nothing from stopping someone getting their car and having it repainted Signature Red if they want but telling people who took $40,000 out of the market for over 3 years that one of the only real 'exclusive' features is going into the general production as well and you're still paying a $5,000 premium likely wouldn't build good will.

AFAIC, for a car that'll cost most of us up to or more than $100,000, we should STILL be able to get any color we want, including the "cherry red". Aka sig.

Do you know of any car company that will paint a car absolutely any custom color you want for no additional fee? They'd have to shut down the paint shop and change colors after each car.

On another note, it sure looks similar to a roadster that was custom done... Wonder if it is the same gentleman...

No, it isn't the same person. It's us. We frankly admit we were expecting a more bluish purple than how the paintform turned out, but still we quite like it. In sunlight it's really beautiful. We got custom because we both hate red and shades of gray, but we weren't going to drop off the sig list just to get a blue we didn't like either.

They don't do the custom colors in the paint shop. Instead they pull the car off the line after undercoating, and send it out to be done. Different paints have different flow properties, and they have to reprogram the robots for every color, and try until they get it right. At least that's what was explained to us. Even this turned out to be more of a hassle than they expected, making our car a bit late (apparently it passed Elon's inspection yesterday), and they've stopped offering custom colors for the forseeable future. The only ones I know are us and Roblab.

At first i thought, 'no!!'. (Just a visceral reaction to pink - and this obviously has lavender tones.) But it really is growing on me. It looks like an absolutely stunning paint and I'm looking forward to seeing pics of it in the sun. I bet it glows.

Bold choice for a bold car. Nicely done.

No, it isn't the same person. It's us. We frankly admit we were expecting a more bluish purple than how the paintform turned out, but still we quite like it. In sunlight it's really beautiful. We got custom because we both hate red and shades of gray, but we weren't going to drop off the sig list just to get a blue we didn't like either.

They don't do the custom colors in the paint shop. Instead they pull the car off the line after undercoating, and send it out to be done. Different paints have different flow properties, and they have to reprogram the robots for every color, and try until they get it right. At least that's what was explained to us. Even this turned out to be more of a hassle than they expected, making our car a bit late (apparently it passed Elon's inspection yesterday), and they've stopped offering custom colors for the forseeable future. The only ones I know are us and Roblab.
Pretty sure you guys mentioned the price difference (12k) and that they stopped offering custom colors a loooong time ago. Around the end of may, I think.

Anyhow, it is a nice lavender and I agree a more purple tint would've been pretty too.

And I love the South Park reference of "big gay car". :smile:

Grats on getting your car really finally!

Thanks for coming out.

I like the concept of a custom painted car.

Probably it could be repainted after having taken delivery.

Or you could have colored foil wrapped, similar to the paint armor. This could eventually be undone in case you get tired of it or before you sell the car.

I like your truely singular Model S - congrats

At first i thought, 'no!!'. (Just a visceral reaction to pink - and this obviously has lavender tones.) But it really is growing on me. It looks like an absolutely stunning paint and I'm looking forward to seeing pics of it in the sun. I bet it glows.

Bold choice for a bold car. Nicely done.

I've said it elsewhere, but I think it looks great. I could not have imagined myself deciding on that color, but my ex-wife would have, and honestly I'd have loved it after seeing it on the car. That color is going to turn heads and get people interested in the car. Tesla should have paid you for the upgrade :p

I've said it elsewhere, but I think it looks great. I could not have imagined myself deciding on that color, but my ex-wife would have, and honestly I'd have loved it after seeing it on the car. That color is going to turn heads and get people interested in the car. Tesla should have paid you for the upgrade :p

If this is 10% brightness, 25% would be stunning. If it bent purple. (Not a fan of pink.)