Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NDAs/Conspiracy theories about Model S delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
Hmm, GB said 74 made as of two weeks ago and no reviews yet from SSL owners:confused: MVPA says 30 days to take delivery so looks like it could be a long two weeks of waiting...

When you take delivery, Tesla makes you sign an agreement saying you won't post anything for 2 months -- a "radio silence" agreement that makes sure that the anticipation is kept sky-high for those that are close to delivery. It's a part of the "torture + pleasure whole experience". On the Tesla Forums, there are some company shills that are posting under "Rod & Barbara" and "gimpdad", who are posting about their experiences, but it's highly controlled by corporate. They are using their friends in the government through SpaceX to make sure you don't talk!

It's unlikely you'll hear from me again after exposing this truth, but it's the only way you'll know the truth of why we all sit here and obsess over the forum, looking for any clue that our car is next... they're being hidden to prolong the agony which will push the highs of ownership beyond that of any car...

It's all a CONSPIRACY I tell you!

... just kidding.

When you take delivery, Tesla makes you sign an agreement saying you won't post anything for 2 months -- a "radio silence" agreement that makes sure that the anticipation is kept sky-high for those that are close to delivery. It's a part of the "torture + pleasure whole experience". On the Tesla Forums, there are some company shills that are posting under "Rod & Barbara" and "gimpdad", who are posting about their experiences, but it's highly controlled by corporate. They are using their friends in the government through SpaceX to make sure you don't talk!

It's unlikely you'll hear from me again after exposing this truth, but it's the only way you'll know the truth of why we all sit here and obsess over the forum, looking for any clue that our car is next... they're being hidden to prolong the agony which will push the highs of ownership beyond that of any car...

... just kidding.

You got me there for a minute! Very funny but could actually be true.

When you take delivery, Tesla makes you sign an agreement SNIP

... just kidding.
No sure you are kidding ... I've been thinking NDA for a while.

Too much time is elapsing ... something is not right.

No sure you are kidding ... I've been thinking NDA for a while.

Too much time is elapsing ... something is not right.

Been having similar thoughts. Delivering to a hand picked group knowing things are not quite right, but requiring an NDA with a promise to fix the issues down the road.
I hear you, I don't think the issues are huge or they wouldn't be pumping out so many on the floor, but there must be some issues that are not fixed yet and they don't want the press coming out reporting "faulty Tesla...whatever".

- - - Updated - - -

Ive never been a big believer in conspiracy theories - and still not. If you've ever launched a new production line, this all feels reasonable.

Never launched a production line...and I don't think there's any "big conspiracy", but NDAs are around for all sorts of things. Hell, even at launch the press often has to sign NDAs when they drive preproduction vehicles. I've signed a ton related to Prius related things I do. It's not outside of the realm of possiblity that they're asking/telling these folks that they can have thier car a bit early on condition that they don't post much about them regarding several aspects of the vehicle that Tesla feels are not up to their anticipated full production standards.

Never launched a production line...and I don't think there's any "big conspiracy", but NDAs are around for all sorts of things. Hell, even at launch the press often has to sign NDAs when they drive preproduction vehicles. I've signed a ton related to Prius related things I do. It's not outside of the realm of possiblity that they're asking/telling these folks that they can have thier car a bit early on condition that they don't post much about them regarding several aspects of the vehicle that Tesla feels are not up to their anticipated full production standards.

It's completely non-customary to have an NDA in a retail/consumer relationship. It might even be against some consumer protection regulation or something. I could, however, imagine an NDA in a situation where the product is free, or payment is deferred in exchange for an NDA from a consumer. I find it nearly unimaginable that this is happening. All that I see happening is that no Joe Schmoes have gotten their car yet, so we are not hearing anything. There are lots of promises, including promises for this weekend. But several people have been promised delivery before, and have not gotten their cars on that date. Hopefully that won't happen again and we'll see the first non-Elon-friend getting a car soon.

Here's a question then: would any of you TMC regulars who are set to get their cars sometime in September or even October enter into an NDA/blackout situation with Tesla if asked to?

I, for one, would be itching to talk about my car from day one so, would feel very uncomfortable entering into an NDA...

Here's a question then: would any of you TMC regulars who are set to get their cars sometime in September or even October enter into an NDA/blackout situation with Tesla if asked to?

I, for one, would be itching to talk about my car from day one so, would feel very uncomfortable entering into an NDA...

Maybe for swag or some other perk but probably not. It might make it seem like they were trying to hide something too.

I'm not a conspiracy theory fan as I think conspiracies take way too much planning and coordination to actually happen. Having spoken to several high ranking Tesla employees recently about the extremely poor delivery communication situation I am inclined to believe that the erratic delivery pattens and bad communication are just a consequence of too few qualified people running the show. I think they are just talking the route of silence figuring that is less detrimental to their image than risking over communication which if not worded correctly could be interpreted wrong.

I too am not happy about the radio silence, but silence cannot be posted on blogs or reprinted by car review sites. When I get my car I will be anything but silent about my impressions. We'll see if me saying this somehow delays my car (even further).

No one is getting NDAs, especially on the SSL list. Founders may be insiders (for stock purposes), so may have other reasons they wouldn't want to be too public with their comments on the car. But it's beyond unlikely that any "regular" SSL is being put under any restrictions by Tesla upon their taking possession of the car.

Ive never been a big believer in conspiracy theories - and still not. If you've ever launched a new product production line, the current status doesn't feel unreasonable.

The two men with sunglasses standing next to the white van parked in my cul-de-sac would probably want to talk to you too, bonnie... :)

I'm safe and sound so far, so I guess I was too far off the mark. And, for the record, I'm not a conspiracy theorist and in my experience this is all normal for a manufacturing ramp-up.

- - - Updated - - -

No one is getting NDAs, especially on the SSL list. Founders may be insiders (for stock purposes), so may have other reasons they wouldn't want to be too public with their comments on the car. But it's beyond unlikely that any "regular" SSL is being put under any restrictions by Tesla upon their taking possession of the car.

Okay, I guess I was taken just slightly too seriously there...

I'm passing the time until "mid-to-late October" and I posted it for fun. I have no evidence, or even an inkling that owners are being asked to sign secret NDA's before they'll get their cars. None at all. Absolutely none. My NDA would prohibit me disclosing that.

(Seriously, REALLY... there is nothing to the story of an NDA or "radio silence". I'm not affiliated with Tesla in any way, except as a reservation holder for a Signature-series car. I'm not a best friend of Elon or George or any of the others there. I've driven by the factory once. I've visited their store in Santana Row once. I saw a Roadster on highway 101 once. That's it, though, nothing more. It was a joke.)

>;-)

Seriously, REALLY... there is nothing to the story of an NDA or "radio silence". I'm not affiliated with Tesla in any way, except as a reservation holder for a Signature-series car. I'm not a best friend of Elon or George or any of the others there. I've driven by the factory once. I've visited their store in Santana Row once. I saw a Roadster on highway 101 once. That's it, though, nothing more. It was a joke.

Is someone putting you under duress to say that? :wink:

I would. And what I'd do is spend that time racking up all sorts of text and video that I could post the moment it expired :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's hilarious that one guy makes a joke about secrecy and suddenly everyone is debating NDAs. That's funnier than the original joke!

Heh, yeah my next post was going to be "look at what you started!"

Wow! When I started reading this thread today and saw that there were so many posts, I got excited thinking there must be some good news. Then after a bunch of speculation about NDA's and conspiracy theories, I realized it was NOTHING. Can't we try to keep this thread about "Delivery Updates" (i.e. FACTS)?