Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

England

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just become aware of this company and I guess i look kind of stupid but England is a long way from the US and it looks like we will not be able to drive these vehicles until next year! :wink:

My question is this:

Will any of the car manufacturers bring out a similar electric car sooner that has somehow been kept "Top secret" as I understand the order process does not guarantee a date?

As you can tell, I am not a "die hard Tesla Fan" but i am keen to get the first "usable" (300m range) electric car on the market!

Also as you can tell I am seriously thinking of ordering a model s for the £30k deposit but i have come across the term "bricked" which suggests that these cars have a fatal floor in them. Can anyone put my mind to rest?
:cool:

Hi England, and welcome!

We have no idea if a top secret EV is coming out in the next year or so (otherwise it wouldn't be top secret, right?) But all signs point to it being EXTREMELY unlikely. Tesla has tons of patents and is light years ahead of the competition with regards to EV technology.

As for bricking, the search button here will answer those questions, but in short: You'd have to be EXTREMELY negligent to brick a Model S. It can sit for months and months without charging and without getting an extremely low charge. The Model S has many safeguards to protect against this, and frankly you'd have to be a complete moron to brick a Model S. Would you drive an internal combustion engine thousands of miles without any oil? You'd have to be just about as negligent.

Will any of the car manufacturers bring out a similar electric car sooner that has somehow been kept "Top secret" as I understand the order process does not guarantee a date?

No. All the big car manufacturers are concerned about electric cars cannibalizing their other car sales so they limit the range.

As you can tell, I am not a "die hard Tesla Fan" but i am keen to get the first "usable" (300m range) electric car on the market!

Me too.

Also as you can tell I am seriously thinking of ordering a model s for the £30k deposit but i have come across the term "bricked" which suggests that these cars have a fatal floor in them. Can anyone put my mind to rest?
:cool:

There was one person who kept their Roadster in storage without plugging it in and was then very confrontational and did some fairly underhanded things (based on what I've read in various places). Tesla did about the same thing that I would have done. However, the Model S can be left for a very long time. Read about it here.

In my opinion, bricking is about as likely as running your car with no oil. Is it possible, yes because anything's possible. Is it likely to happen to you, no.

Englishman,

Consider getting a Model S general production reservation for £4k (fully refundable).

As of today, we have reports of 13 signature reservations and 35 general production in the UK. When it is time for UK deliveries, Model S is planned to have monthly production numbers well above 1,600 cars. Check the Tesla blog entry. The 200 UK signatures will be delivered within few weeks because Tesla likely will produce them in one batch.

You could either stick with a general production reservation and take delivery of UK P-36, or upgrade to a signature reservation at the very last moment (=before they sell out) which seems to be months in the future.

In my opinion, bricking is about as likely as running your car with no oil. Is it possible, yes because anything's possible. Is it likely to happen to you, no.
Actually, bricking a Model S, or even a Roadster, requires a very long period of negligence. Sort of a marathon of negligence. Bricking an internal combustion car only requires that you ignore an oil leak for a few minutes, or forget to add oil after a change, and then drive for a few minutes.

Bricking an EV requires a level of mental insufficiency so great, that such a person should not own or drive any car.

As for England getting a 300-mile EV, I think you'll just have to wait for the Model S. Anything else will either have shorter (but still useful!) range, or a gasoline (yuck!!!) engine.