Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend: Las Vegas Model S road trip.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MotorTrend did another test, this time from Las Vegas, and managed to get a range of 285 miles!

http://www.motortrend.com/features/travel/1209_tesla_model_s_las_vegas/

This was with the A/C on for some of the trip (set to 72F [22C] on a 102F [38C] day!) and the windows down for the rest. I think they could've easily kept the A/C on the entire time if they had set the temperature to something more reasonable like 77-79F (~25-26C).

Attachments

• Tesla-Model-S-distance-display.jpg
    Tesla-Model-S-distance-display.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,038
The MT link doesn't work... I don't see it anywhere on the Model S section of their website either...

MotorTrend did another test, this time from Las Vegas, and managed to get a range of 285 miles!

http://www.motortrend.com/features/travel/1209_tesla_model_s_las_vegas/

This was with the A/C on for some of the trip (set to 72F [22C] on a 102F [38C] day!) and the windows down for the rest. I think they could've easily kept the A/C on the entire time if they had set the temperature to something more reasonable like 77-79F (~25-26C).

I am disappointed to learn that the estimated remaining range jumps wildly depending on terrain:

Before our descent, available range shows 252 miles. As I near the Baker exits, the latest estimate (based on the type of terrain we just covered) jumps to 578. Laughably high, ...

When following a route via navigation system, the car should take changes in altitude and speed limits into account to refine its range prediction.

Motor Trend: Visiting Las Vegas in the Tesla Model S

Take away: We also know that this Model S’s performance is consistent in our admittedly small data set. Kim and Benson’s 233.7 mile journey to San Diego left roughly 4 miles of range available and consumed 78.2 kWhrs of electricity. That’s the energy equivalent of 2.32 gallons of gas or 100.7 mpg-e. Frank and Jessi traveled 211 miles to Las Vegas and had 74 miles of range leftover. They consumed 60.6 kWhr of energy, the equivalent of 1.8 gallons of gas, for an average of 118 mpg-e. My 285-mile journey left 3 miles unused and consumed 78.0 kWhrs or the equivalent of 2.31 gallons of gas. That’s an mpg-e of 123.4.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is a cool review, and a good video attached. Amazingly, with all of their focus on maximizing range for this trip (no A/C, no daytime running lights etc.), they never thought to take off the camera mounted above the front windshield?! At the least, I was surprised they didn't mention this in either of the write-ups as a possible reduction in aerodynamics such that it decreased their range by possibly a few miles over the course of each trip.

I'm sure someone here can say how much impact this might have had, but it has to be something more than negligible, I'm guessing?

I'm sure the camera was mounted for just a brief time.

Point is, they can do even better:

-55mph with windows rolled down may not be as good as 55mph with windows up and AC on.
-They had sticky performance 21" tires on...all-season 19s would give better range.
-Looks like they stopped at several places along the way to take pictures, which would hurt range.
-They drove 65mph for much of the drive.

I'd say these numbers are expected and make me feel pretty confident about the range estimates.

Its been said that even aerodynamic external rear view mirrors attribute something like 5-10% of aerodynamic drag. The camera would be smaller but also less aerodynamic. I can't say for sure but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that over a full charge if it would reduce range by anywhere from 5-20 miles depending on speed and distance traveled.

Motor Trend: Visiting Las Vegas in the Tesla Model S

Take away: We also know that this Model S’s performance is consistent in our admittedly small data set. Kim and Benson’s 233.7 mile journey to San Diego left roughly 4 miles of range available and consumed 78.2 kWhrs of electricity. That’s the energy equivalent of 2.32 gallons of gas or 100.7 mpg-e. Frank and Jessi traveled 211 miles to Las Vegas and had 74 miles of range leftover. They consumed 60.6 kWhr of energy, the equivalent of 1.8 gallons of gas, for an average of 118 mpg-e. My 285-mile journey left 3 miles unused and consumed 78.0 kWhrs or the equivalent of 2.31 gallons of gas. That’s an mpg-e of 123.4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't there already a Roadster (V.1) HPC on the route to Vegas? Wouldn't it make more sense to use the AC, drive normally and simply stop there and charge for a little while? I really do get the point of the experiment, but I don't like the implication that driving an EV will necessitate being uncomfortable. Also, in the video, they mention that, eventually, one will be able to recharge along the route. It seems to me that is inaccurate; one can already do so.

In any event, I really do like the article. I like that it shows what really is possible on these long trips. I really like that I'll be able to floor it all the way to Portland with the AC on full and the radio blasting (100ish miles). ;)

Update: I checked and there's a 70 amp charger at Barstow Station

Last edited: