Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Ambassadors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mikevbf

Feb 11, 2012
vermont
With the Model S still being a very rare bird to find in the wild or at a store, each new owner becomes to a certain degree an ambassador for Tesla's Model S. Some might even be so generous as to let others test drive their vehicle. But this creates ware and tare or their vehicle especially if they have the performance tires.

Wouldn't it be smart for Tesla to create a rewards program for these ambassadors? Why not give them points toward material or status awards for each new person who lists them as a referral when they reserve or finalize an order? What do you think would be a reasonable incentive to make this worthwhile to new owners? Or is it better to just let people do this or not naturally with no added catalyst?

With the Model S still being a very rare bird to find in the wild or at a store, each new owner becomes to a certain degree an ambassador for Tesla's Model S. Some might even be so generous as to let others test drive their vehicle. But this creates ware and tare or their vehicle especially if they have the performance tires.

Wouldn't it be smart for Tesla to create a rewards program for these ambassadors? Why not give them points toward material or status awards for each new person who lists them as a referral when they reserve or finalize an order? What do you think would be a reasonable incentive to make this worthwhile to new owners? Or is it better to just let people do this or not naturally with no added catalyst?
Well, I think it would be great. I'd love some sort of small recognition for a referral. I've literally sold dozens of Prii (Priuses) to people by being an avid ambassador for that vehicle over the years and may well sell a few Teslas before I'm done (a tougher market though due to cost and really novel tech).Cash is good, discounts on maintenance would be cool, or even just a nice shirt/gift of some sort.

But Tesla's probably smart enough to know that I'm gonna be an ambassador just as much without those perks, so they're saving their cash for their investors!

Want rewards for referring new customers? Buy Tesla stock. That's what I've done.

I agree with you. I think that Tesla should reward Model S ambassadors with points to update the car and maybe get new batteries for each new person who lists them as a referral not when they reserve the car but at least when they finalize an order. This is my opinion. What do you think about it?

I agree with you. I think that Tesla should reward Model S ambassadors with points to update the car and maybe get new batteries for each new person who lists them as a referral not when they reserve the car but at least when they finalize an order. This is my opinion. What do you think about it?

New batteries are very expensive if you're talking about the battery pack so that might be tough.

I agree with you. I thought you meant Tesla should give people points towards a free battery pack.

What about a 1% discount for every confirmed referral/purchase on your next Tesla product purchase? You refer 10 people you get a 10% discount on that HPC you've been wanting or that Tesla X you've been planning to get for the wife. I guess they could put a maximum on it so that people don't start selling their referrals...maybe max at 25% or something.

I think it would be cool to have an "Ambassadors Series" Bluestar. The production run would be limited to 100-200 cars, and be produced between the founders and signature series. Current Tesla owners who have 3 or more referrals should be eligible to purchase an Ambassador series car. It could also be opened up to customers who already own 2 or more Teslas. This would cost Tesla almost nothing to implement, and would be a great way of saying thanks to its most loyal customers.

What about a 1% discount for every confirmed referral/purchase on your next Tesla product purchase? You refer 10 people you get a 10% discount on that HPC you've been wanting or that Tesla X you've been planning to get for the wife. I guess they could put a maximum on it so that people don't start selling their referrals...maybe max at 25% or something.

This could be a good idea also if I think that this principle could be applied only to car updating and maybe batteries. I guess it would be difficult to have discounts also on cars.

This was attempted for the roadsters. It became a bit hard to keep track of and prove.

I take pride in being an ambassador because I believe in the company and the brand. The benefit is getting more money for the company who will be able to advance technology at a faster pace and result in more products in a shorter timeframe.

Should be pretty easy to add a field on the reservation form on the web site where a person could name the person(s) that recommended the car. Could be a Tesla employee too. (I was looking for this when I reserved because the Santana Row store's treatment had a lot to do with me taking the plunge.)

As for rewards... I'm sure they can think of something. Doesn't have to be anything big, any show of appreciation is usually appreciated.

My wife tells everyone who works at Tesla that I deserve a commission for all of the evangelicizing that I do on behalf of Tesla. I've even sold a few cars virtually single-handedly. Obviously, I don't do it for any sort of reward or remuneration, and I think Tesla is trying to avoid anything that would create pressure to have people make sales. I've gotten enough free swag from Tesla over the years to keep me satisfied.

More to the point, as Elon notes often, they have a supply problem, not a demand problem, so if ever they have less demand than supply, they can pull tricks like this out of their hats.