Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla upgraded suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hallo! I am also looking for coilovers / lowering- kit for my 2011/12 2.5 roadster. I will lower the front 2-3 cm and maybe 1-2 cm in rear. Supplyer? Makes the sportsuspension form Tesla the car lower? Or just stiffer?

Does Anyone know what is done with the Orange roadster with wheels from Konig? I will also put on 19" wheels in rear and 18" in front. Offset?
imagejpeg

Hmmmm.. No one that have modified their Roadster? It really need to be closer to the ground in front, too much gap between the tire and the body:)

I also think the stability of the car with the original suspension is to "loose".

Will the sportsuspension lowering the car too? (adjustable springs)

It's been my experience that doing any kind of major upgrade to any car such as lowering, changing tire size in a major way, or engine modifications, unless you are actually using the car for racing, results in the car being dumped within about six months (along with the several thousand dollars you've spent plus a modified car is worth practically zero).

Those kind of things appear to make sense before they are done but afterwards the car a real pain to drive and often reliability is compromised (during that six months it's in the shop for three of them).

I understand that major rebulding narrows the aftermarket in some cases, but my experinces is the oposite, IF you do the rigth things to the car. I have had about 60 different cars, and noone have left my garage in "origina" condition.

My plan is in this case only to lower the car in fron ca 1 inch. Now it looks like my trunk is full of metal, no car should be lower in rear that in front. It does not look good.

I hope to fit this wheels:

Back 9"x19 offset 45mm with 235/35-19 (change = -2,03% ) I have tryed this on the car, and it fits.

Front 8x18, offset 20mm with 215/35-18 (change + 1,45%) I have not tryed this on the front axle, but with my testing an measurements it will be clearance to the caliper and the suspension.

View attachment 9734

View attachment 9735

What about the traction issue, is it so sensible that any change will affect this system?

(I`m thinking about the tire-circum; when the back tires are worn out, there will be a difference between the circum in frontaxle and rear axle. I changed the stock-tires back one week ago, they`r total worn out. Fronttires still like new. This has not affectet my tractioncontroll, an i re-set this in the computer when my new tires where installed.)

Hallo! I am also looking for coilovers / lowering- kit for my 2011/12 2.5 roadster. I will lower the front 2-3 cm and maybe 1-2 cm in rear. Supplyer? Makes the sportsuspension form Tesla the car lower? Or just stiffer?

Does Anyone know what is done with the Orange roadster with wheels from Konig? I will also put on 19" wheels in rear and 18" in front. Offset?
imagejpeg

I set my car up with Advance Racing Suspension small body double adjustible shocks with remote resevoirs (3000 series). We use the car in Autocross. The shocks are better for autocross and very smooth. I used the origional springs. If anyone wants to do the same I can supply the build specs. Here is the link to their website.

Advanced Racing Suspensions - Racing Shocks: Shocks

I would not recommend going to a larger diameter tire. There is a setup procedure in the touch screen called "new Tires". If the tire diameters are changed too much you might loose your regen braking and not be able to use performance mode. Try it if you want but be warned. I run a 205 45 x 16 size in the front and the new tire set up still works good (meaning I keep regen braking and full performance). The rear is stock size 245 45 x 17.

Last edited:
Are those shocks with adjustable height?

Regardring the tire/wheel size: as long as the circum does not change more than 1-2percent, this can not in any way effect the regen/ tractionC? The wheel will use apx. the same time in one rotation and roll the same distance as the original rims.

Can anyone confirm if the sport suspension has different springs than the standard suspension? And if you have part numbers for things like the springs or sway-bars would be most helpful as I'm working from a standard suspension. Thanks!

I do believe the sport suspension has different springs than the standard setup. For the sport adjustable suspension I heard Eibach makes the springs specially manufactured to Tesla's specs, then sends the springs over to Bilstien, then Bilstien builds the full adjustable shock combined with the spring. Both the shock and the spring can only be purchased through Tesla and not from Eibach.... same goes fore the shocks. So Part number's there really won't help us, but if you're willing to call Bilstien and Eibach that would be a start to see they'll bypass Tesla.... which I highly doubt.

The swaybars are not Tesla specific, and may map to the Lotus Elise. I believe these can be bought from Eibach (Eibach.com) but I believe you'll have to go through a retail supplier as the channel to get them. Part numbers for this will definitely help!

Last edited:
If anyone can post the numbers on the SPORT-springs, i will post the numbers from the Standards. Yesterday i spoke to the norwegian technichal supervisor, and he looked on a Sport-version when i spoke to him in phone.

The sway-bars are the same he said when looking under a brand new Sport. The shocks on the sport-version are with adjustable hight (coilover). It would be wery nice to know if the springs are different. If not, i will order only the shocks to adjust height. (the car is to high in the front)

If anyone can post the numbers on the SPORT-springs, i will post the numbers from the Standards. Yesterday i spoke to the norwegian technichal supervisor, and he looked on a Sport-version when i spoke to him in phone.

The sway-bars are the same he said when looking under a brand new Sport. The shocks on the sport-version are with adjustable hight (coilover). It would be wery nice to know if the springs are different. If not, i will order only the shocks to adjust height. (the car is to high in the front)

I don't believe the Sport Sway bars are the same as the standard non-sport version. The sport swaybars are adjustable, the standard is not.