Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I'm back in the queue!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

neroden

Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan
Apr 25, 2011
Ithaca, NY, USA
With a Standard reservation for sometime next year rather than my former Signature reservation.

You may remember that I'm allergic to the headliner; well, I've found some plastic-type surface treatments which should work at preventing the microfiber from bleeding into the air. Won't be pretty but should work. Wouldn't have worked on the Alcantara though.

I think I'm happier with the Standard in any case; with the Signature I was paying extra for a lot of stuff I didn't want (21" wheels, etc), so the Standard feels more like value for money. Also, I think I'll probably get a more "debugged" car by getting it next year, and it should be a lot easier to comparison shop for insurance once the car's been out for a little while.

I also get to think longer about whether I need the 85 kWh battery or whether I'll be happy with the 60 kWh. The 60kWh will handle a round trip (on the non-expressway roads I prefer) to Rochester or Scranton, and I don't like driving even that far without long rest breaks. Perhaps I should save the $10K and devote it to the charitable activity of installing high-power chargers at select locations. :cool:

I'm disappointed that Tesla converted the Chicago store into a service center, and placed the only Illinois store in suburban nowheresville; I was in downtown Chicago not long ago. It may be perverse, but I'm not going to *drive* long distances to get to an automobile store. If I'd had the time, I guess I could have gone to the Park Meadows store (conveniently on the LRT) while I was in Denver, but my schedule was truly packed. I guess I'll have to make a special trip to NYC -- which still has a store which can be reached by public transportation -- to try out the seats.

I'm disappointed that Tesla converted the Chicago store into a service center, and placed the only Illinois store in suburban nowheresville; I was in downtown Chicago not long ago. It may be perverse, but I'm not going to *drive* long distances to get to an automobile store. If I'd had the time, I guess I could have gone to the Park Meadows store (conveniently on the LRT) while I was in Denver, but my schedule was truly packed. I guess I'll have to make a special trip to NYC -- which still has a store which can be reached by public transportation -- to try out the seats.

Most people drive from the 'burbs to the city in other cities; in Chicago, there is almost an equal number of people going from the city to the 'burbs. The Oak Brook store is at one of the busiest locations - 3 major highways come together, etc, etc. If the store were in the city, there would be much less traffic thru the store - it is not in a major shopping area and is in almost an industrial area. The local word is that they are going to be planning another store in the north suburbs; more in line with Tesla's philosophy.

Most people drive from the 'burbs to the city in other cities; in Chicago, there is almost an equal number of people going from the city to the 'burbs. The Oak Brook store is at one of the busiest locations - 3 major highways come together, etc, etc. If the store were in the city, there would be much less traffic thru the store - it is not in a major shopping area and is in almost an industrial area. The local word is that they are going to be planning another store in the north suburbs; more in line with Tesla's philosophy.

Hope the North Suburb store goes into Northbrook Court, would get the Lake Forest,Highland Park, Lake Bluff etc. crowd. Theres already an apple store there so I guess that's a little bit of market research... but where do the kenilworth, glenview people shop?

My only thoughts for you on the 60kWh battery, after going through the same mental gymnastics myself, is whether you intend to keep the car long term (ie. greater than 7-8 years) and, if so, if you can tolerate the 70% range loss at that point or would need to spend the money for a replacement battery pack? To me it came down to rather having a longer range possible for every day use and still having enough range for my minimum requirments in 10 years without having to buy a replacement. The little bit extra speed, range, warranty and Supercharger option really put the 85kWh pack over the top for me.

My only thoughts for you on the 60kWh battery, after going through the same mental gymnastics myself, is whether you intend to keep the car long term (ie. greater than 7-8 years) and, if so, if you can tolerate the 70% range loss at that point...

Welcome back - isn't half the fun just having a reservation?
Regarding the battery - Tesla sites 30% degradation over 8 years (SEC filing, posted in other threads), and is presumably a worse case SEC filing-required scenario. Roadster users have abundantly noted that degradation has been less then they expected. I'll leave that to other threads, but wanted to share that and then note: If $ was no issue, I would get the 85kWh, but it is now, and perhaps I will replace my 60kWh battery anyway in 6-7 years with the new, 2018 600mi range, 200kWh battery. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That fits in the glove box? But then people would bitch about it taking up valuable space in the glove box!

But it would leave the S with just one button - the hazards...you'd have to bag the glove compartment button with a 200kWh battery in there. Will throw away my range anxiety once I get the car, but I do think of increasing to 85 and then fall back in sticker shock when I do the math. Reimbursements not what they are in MO here in MA :) (MD)