Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touring US with camper trailer and FUSC -- Bad Idea or Really Bad Idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doggydogworld

Mar 4, 2019
Texas
So I want to explore the US for a couple years with a small or mid-size trailer. I planned to buy a used Toyota pickup because "EVs suck for towing", but I'm intrigued by the idea of a Model S with free Supercharging. I'll add solar to the camper and it'd be fun to play around with projects like trickle charging the car from solar, using the car as a backup battery during cloudy stretches, etc.

- I know towing range sucks, but I'll only go 100-200 miles in a day and I'm not on a schedule
- I know even 2 kW of solar only adds ~10 miles of towing range on a sunny day
- I know Tesla doesn't recommend towing with Model S, but people install Ecohitch and do it

My question is reliability. I don't expect Toyota reliability, but I plan to visit some remote areas. Used FUSC cars are mostly out of warranty or soon will be, plus they'd probably void it for towing anyway. I'll have tools and I'll have an e-bike to get around. Getting stuck a week waiting on parts is no big deal. Getting stuck three months, on the other hand......

I'm guessing there's a 95% chance things will be fine over three years and 15-20k miles vs. a 5% chance of major failure, e.g. battery, drive unit, suspension. I can live with those odds. Am I a hopeless optimist? If it's more like 50/50 then I'll go back to looking at used Tundra ads :) Would love to hear from anyone who has real world experience with 2013-17 Model S. Thanks!

Reactions: blodg1
Small, but not that small. I do love your "extra room" tent. I want to be able to dry camp for a week or so at a stretch, so I'm looking at self-contained. Mostly those stand-up (kinda) teardrops, A-frame popups, etc. Most are 2000+ lbs, though some like Helio O2 are less.

Solar and tapping into the traction battery is a hobby thing. No delusions about cannonballing across the US on a few panels!

I have found great deals on 2015-16 S 85D and 90Ds, but only at dealers. I usually prefer FSBO, but I've never seen a situation where private sellers demand 15-50% more than dealer retail. Unfortunately most dealers are clueless about free Supercharging and Tesla makes it almost impossible to figure out. So I'm still looking.
I guess one huge thing would be what your comfort requirements are, you mentioned the Helio...their tear drops are super small, also you did mention you are hunting a model S...one thing to many travelers do, is they set a destination at like 400-600 miles out and HAVE TO BE THERE IN TWO HOURS.
we went from Washington state to Denver CO, towing the MYPOD, we had stops planned, "X" miles, for us and the dog, and we did like a route 66/ old bus travelers trip, we stopped, and explored, anywhere there's a charger, is worth getting out and chatting with people, you'll find real quick who/what/where/how.

I'm starting to over take your thread...sorry, i get excited with EV'ers camping...cause camp grounds are the largest charging network.

Upvote 0