Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on getting one powerwall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 7kw system on NEM 2.0 with So Cal Edison. I pay about $500 net annually. I have a Model Y that I charge at home during 9 pm and 4 am. With the Federal Tax Credit I am interesting in getting one Powerwall to have uninterrupted power during an outage and to see if I can come out on top after certain payback period. What do you think?

Lots of reasons to get more than one PW..... if you just get one, best to get a PW3. Then you can configure it for whole house backup, and run things with higher start loads (like a heat pump) while running on battery. Whole house backup if you've got one load center that is. You can add more storage if you want later.....
lt's hard to find an ROI on a battery without considering the entire system/strategy that the PW is part of. There is a recent thread on this forum where that is discussed.

I am interesting in getting one Powerwall to have uninterrupted power during an outage and to see if I can come out on top after certain payback period.
You will be very hard pressed to get any reasonable ROI on a single powerwall, so don’t make it a financial decision.

Lots of reasons to get more than one PW..... if you just get one, best to get a PW3.
Will Tesla sell a PW3 right now without their own solar? I kinda assumed no since the inverter is built in.

Reactions: sunwarriors
I have 7kw system on NEM 2.0 with So Cal Edison. I pay about $500 net annually. I have a Model Y that I charge at home during 9 pm and 4 am. With the Federal Tax Credit I am interesting in getting one Powerwall to have uninterrupted power during an outage and to see if I can come out on top after certain payback period. What do you think?
How much power does your home use? To be useful as a backup, you need enough Powerwalls to last through from peak power time until the next morning.

Do you have any high current draw appliances like an Air Conditioner that you want to keep using during an outage?

You will be very hard pressed to get any reasonable ROI on a single powerwall, so don’t make it a financial decision.

Will Tesla sell a PW3 right now without their own solar? I kinda assumed no since the inverter is built in.
My neighbor just had a solar panel array installed, but decided not to get batteries. He got quotes for batteries, and his installer (Solar Energy World) quoted several, one of which was PW3. I don't know details at all.....