Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Teslaunch Model X/S Gear Shift Stalk Switch Turn Signal Lever Kit🚀GIVEAWAY!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla enthusiasts,

How's everyone doing? 👋 We've got some exciting news to share! The long-awaited Model X/S Gear Shift Stalk Switch Turn Signal Lever Kit has finally passed the test and is officially launched for sale, meeting everyone's expectations🚗💨. This product meets our daily needs and conforms to our muscle memory.🛡👍

To celebrate these new additions, we're inviting 2 TMC fans to put these products to the test and share their honest reviews here and write an experience post on TMC!!! Let's take a look at the latest products👇

Tesla Model X/S Gear Shift Stalk Switch Turn Signal Lever Kit

Product link:
Model X/S Gear Shift Stalk Switch Turn Signal Lever Kit for Tesla

Product pictures:
SX GEAR SHIFT .png

Lottery quota:

2 for Model S/X car owners

How to Participate:
Simply drop a comment below sharing why you want to try.

Requirements:
1. Own Tesla Model S or Model X
2. Share your experience and share pictures and videos in this post and on the TMC post after receiving the product.

End date:
May 4, 2024

How seriously should we take the service manual with regards to re-use of the steering wheel bolt? The service manual says to discard and not reuse which is typical of stretch to yield. I suspect most just re-use. Wonder if anyone has any service invoices from switching steering wheels that shows a brand new bolt was used?
The invoice typically shows the new bolt. I replaced mine. I think they’re more concerned about the effectiveness of the factory thread locker than the stretch (these aren’t torque to yield bolts) But realistically it’s not working itself loose regardless.

How seriously should we take the service manual with regards to re-use of the steering wheel bolt? The service manual says to discard and not reuse which is typical of stretch to yield. I suspect most just re-use. Wonder if anyone has any service invoices from switching steering wheels that shows a brand new bolt was used?
I'm not going to assume that I know more than the Tesla engineers. Tesla is renowed for cuting costs whereever possible. They wouldn't specify a new bolt, which would force them to cough up the cost of a bolt for every warranty replacement of a yoke or wheel, unless they truly believed it wise.

My stalk kit is enroute - hopefully I'll have it in a few days.

I'll buy a new bolt from Tesla before I remove my yoke.

Reactions: sorka
The invoice typically shows the new bolt. I replaced mine. I think they’re more concerned about the effectiveness of the factory thread locker than the stretch (these aren’t torque to yield bolts) But realistically it’s not working itself loose regardless.

Probably that. The yellow thread locker was completely toast. If the factory bolts come with thread locker, then that's the answer. Also explains why it took way more than 60 lbs-ft of torque spec to remove.

The factory bolt does come with thread locker. And Tesla only charges $2 for the bolt, so it is a no brainer to use a new one. I will reuse the old one to get it reassembled for a fit check of the upper column shroud to the stalks. I'll put the new bolt in once I have confirmed that everything fits correctly and no tweaks will be needed.

Attachments

• IMG_3730.jpeg
    IMG_3730.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 6
I have a 2022 MS and had previously installed the round wheel in place of the yoke. I was excited about this kit, as I really missed the stalk shifter and signals. In any case, I received the kit a couple of days ago and my friendly neighborhood auto audio dealer installed it. I have to say, I've only had it 24 hours, but it is the real deal! I could not be happier. They did a very clean install with no issues and no mods needed. It actually looks like it came with the car. So, right now I have no hesitation about recommending this kit.

I received the TesLaunch Model S/X stalks kit on 2024-05-25 and installed the kit yesterday.

IMG_3791.jpeg

Fit and Finish
All in the all, the stalks and trim pieces look like they are well made, and they generally match the other materials of the car. The steering column upper trim piece is very slightly lighter in color than the original upper trim piece, but you need to look closely in good light to see the difference.

IMG_3799.jpeg

All parts fit perfectly, with no need to make any mods or adjustments to get them installed. The installed kit looks like it could have been part of the car as delivered by Tesla

Installation
The only installation instructions are a YouTube video. It is recommended to supplement viewing the video with a review of the relevant portions of the Model S Service Manual (available online at zero cost).

The installation video did not start with fully depowering the car. But, given that the first step is to remove the steering yoke/wheel airbag, and the airbag is electrically triggered, it is wise to fully depower the car as described in the Service Manual instructions for airbag removal.

When removing the airbag, you must insert a small item in the holes on each side of the steering column to release the airbag retaining clips. You need a long tool with a flat end - I used a long Allen wrench. It isn't obvious at what angle to insert the tool - insert it roughly towards the center of the steering column and feel around until you find a location where you can feel that you are pressing on a moderately strong spring. Depress the tool against the spring 6-8mm while pulling that side of the airbag cover towards the driver. Once one side is released, repeat on the other side.

The airbag and steering yoke/wheel connectors each have two locking tabs, one at each end of the connector. It seems like one of those tasks that could really use three hands, but it is possible to use a small flat screwdriver to move the upper locking tab downwards, while pulling on that end of the connector with a finger. Then repeat on the other end of connector, hopefully without the first locking tab springing back to the lock position.

The installation video suggests two people are required to remove the steering yoke/wheel, but it is possible for one person to do it with a bit of creativity. The issue is that the attachment bolt requires significant torque to release, and you must hold the yoke/wheel against this torque. I wrapped the bottom of the yoke with some packing foam sheet, then used duct tape to secure a long piece of large wooden dowel to act as a lever. This allowed me to hold the end of the dowel with one hand while using other hand to loosen the attachment bolt.

IMG_3784.jpeg

Be sure to use a fine Sharpie to mark the steering column where there is a notch in the splines on the yoke/wheel, so you have a reference to get it back on at the correct angle.

IMG_3786.jpg

The yoke/wheel fits tightly on the splined shaft. Rock the yoke/wheel gently in all directions while pulling it to get it off the shaft.

Inspect the L stalk closely before installing it to be certain that the long ribbon cable is fully inserted in its connector (more later).

The wiring harness for the stalks is perhaps a bit longer than strictly required. The excess should be secured to the existing cable inside the column trim using plastic zip ties to ensure it does not get fouled later during yoke/wheel extension or retraction.

The Tesla Service Manual calls for using a new bolt to reinstall the yoke/wheel. I suspect this is because the original bolt has thread lock compound on it. A new bolt was only $2 at Tesla, so it is a no-brainer to use a new bolt. I suggest reusing the old bolt for the initial tests. Once you have confirmed that everything fits and works correctly, remove the airbag and swap the bolt for a new one.

Function

All functions work as advertised.

Turn Signals
Although the L lever has two detents in each direction, like Model 3/Y stalks, there is no apparent difference in function between pressing to the first detent, or pressing all the way to the stop. There is a very short delay (a small fraction of a second) between moving the stalk to a detent, and the turn signal being activated. If you press very quickly and immediately release the stalk, it is possible that the turn signal would not be activated. You must hold the stalk for a moment to be sure.

Wiper and Washer
* a brief press of the button on the end of the stalk gives one wiper swipe and brings up the wiper menu
* press and hold activates the washer

High Beams Flash
* pressing the L stalk forward flashes the high beams, and brings up the headlights menu. I'd prefer if this function was tied to puling the stalk towards the driver, as that is more standard.

Horn
* pulling the L stalk towards the driver activates the horn.

Gear Shift
* The R stalk activates R, N, D exactly as a Model 3/Y
* The button on the end of the R stalk activates Park

Autopilot
* NO AUTOPILOT via R stalk. If you also drive a Model 3/Y, and like that functionality, too bad.

Issues

I had one issue of note, but it was resolved. After completing the installation, I found that the turn signal function did not work when using the L stalk. Everything else commanded by the L stalk worked, and everthing worked from the R stalk. The next morning, I ripped everything apart and removed the L stalk to inspect it. I found that the ribbon cable from the stalk to the circuit board was not fully seated in its connector (see red circled area in image below). I pulled out the dark locking tabs on the connector, reseated the ribbon cable and reinstalled everything. This time I found that while the turn signals worked, nothing else worked from the L stalk.

I said some of my magic words, then ripped everything apart again. I reseated the ribbon cable again, reinstalled and tested. This time, hallelujah, everything worked.

I think there is a combination of design shortcoming and inadequate packaging. The design shortcoming is that the problematic end of the ribbon cable does not have tabs attached to the circuit board that engages the tabs sticking out the sides of the ribbon cable. The other end of the same ribbon cable has the tabs. The tabs serve to prevent the ribbon cable from being pulled out of its connector. The packaging issue is that the stalks are inserted in custom holes in foam in the shipping box, and the ribbon cable, which sticks out of the assembly, can be dislodged from the action of inserting or removing the L stalk from the shipping foam. I have reported my findings and recommendations to TesLaunch.

IMG_3797.jpeg

Conclusion

It is glorious having a turn signal stalk again, and the gear shift via R stalk is a huge improvement over using swipes on the edge of the center display. I have no hesitation recommending this kit to anyone who is moderately mechanically inclined.

Attachments

• IMG_3796.jpeg
    IMG_3796.jpeg
    520.2 KB · Views: 2
I received the TesLaunch Model S/X stalks kit on 2024-05-25 and installed the kit yesterday.

View attachment 1052081

Fit and Finish
All in the all, the stalks and trim pieces look like they are well made, and they generally match the other materials of the car. The steering column upper trim piece is very slightly lighter in color than the original upper trim piece, but you need to look closely in good light to see the difference.

View attachment 1052076

All parts fit perfectly, with no need to make any mods or adjustments to get them installed. The installed kit looks like it could have been part of the car as delivered by Tesla

Installation
The only installation instructions are a YouTube video. It is recommended to supplement viewing the video with a review of the relevant portions of the Model S Service Manual (available online at zero cost).

The installation video did not start with fully depowering the car. But, given that the first step is to remove the steering yoke/wheel airbag, and the airbag is electrically triggered, it is wise to fully depower the car as described in the Service Manual instructions for airbag removal.

When removing the airbag, you must insert a small item in the holes on each side of the steering column to release the airbag retaining clips. You need a long tool with a flat end - I used a long Allen wrench. It isn't obvious at what angle to insert the tool - insert it roughly towards the center of the steering column and feel around until you find a location where you can feel that you are pressing on a moderately strong spring. Depress the tool against the spring 6-8mm while pulling that side of the airbag cover towards the driver. Once one side is released, repeat on the other side.

The airbag and steering yoke/wheel connectors each have two locking tabs, one at each end of the connector. It seems like one of those tasks that could really use three hands, but it is possible to use a small flat screwdriver to move the upper locking tab downwards, while pulling on that end of the connector with a finger. Then repeat on the other end of connector, hopefully without the first locking tab springing back to the lock position.

The installation video suggests two people are required to remove the steering yoke/wheel, but it is possible for one person to do it with a bit of creativity. The issue is that the attachment bolt requires significant torque to release, and you must hold the yoke/wheel against this torque. I wrapped the bottom of the yoke with some packing foam sheet, then used duct tape to secure a long piece of large wooden dowel to act as a lever. This allowed me to hold the end of the dowel with one hand while using other hand to loosen the attachment bolt.

View attachment 1052080

Be sure to use a fine Sharpie to mark the steering column where there is a notch in the splines on the yoke/wheel, so you have a reference to get it back on at the correct angle.

View attachment 1052083

The yoke/wheel fits tightly on the splined shaft. Rock the yoke/wheel gently in all directions while pulling it to get it off the shaft.

Inspect the L stalk closely before installing it to be certain that the long ribbon cable is fully inserted in its connector (more later).

The wiring harness for the stalks is perhaps a bit longer than strictly required. The excess should be secured to the existing cable inside the column trim using plastic zip ties to ensure it does not get fouled later during yoke/wheel extension or retraction.

The Tesla Service Manual calls for using a new bolt to reinstall the yoke/wheel. I suspect this is because the original bolt has thread lock compound on it. A new bolt was only $2 at Tesla, so it is a no-brainer to use a new bolt. I suggest reusing the old bolt for the initial tests. Once you have confirmed that everything fits and works correctly, remove the airbag and swap the bolt for a new one.

Function

All functions work as advertised.

Turn Signals
Although the L lever has two detents in each direction, like Model 3/Y stalks, there is no apparent difference in function between pressing to the first detent, or pressing all the way to the stop. There is a very short delay (a small fraction of a second) between moving the stalk to a detent, and the turn signal being activated. If you press very quickly and immediately release the stalk, it is possible that the turn signal would not be activated. You must hold the stalk for a moment to be sure.

Wiper and Washer
* a brief press of the button on the end of the stalk gives one wiper swipe and brings up the wiper menu
* press and hold activates the washer

High Beams Flash
* pressing the L stalk forward flashes the high beams, and brings up the headlights menu. I'd prefer if this function was tied to puling the stalk towards the driver, as that is more standard.

Horn
* pulling the L stalk towards the driver activates the horn.

Gear Shift
* The R stalk activates R, N, D exactly as a Model 3/Y
* The button on the end of the R stalk activates Park

Autopilot
* NO AUTOPILOT via R stalk. If you also drive a Model 3/Y, and like that functionality, too bad.

Issues

I had one issue of note, but it was resolved. After completing the installation, I found that the turn signal function did not work when using the L stalk. Everything else commanded by the L stalk worked, and everthing worked from the R stalk. The next morning, I ripped everything apart and removed the L stalk to inspect it. I found that the ribbon cable from the stalk to the circuit board was not fully seated in its connector (see red circled area in image below). I pulled out the dark locking tabs on the connector, reseated the ribbon cable and reinstalled everything. This time I found that while the turn signals worked, nothing else worked from the L stalk.

I said some of my magic words, then ripped everything apart again. I reseated the ribbon cable again, reinstalled and tested. This time, hallelujah, everything worked.

I think there is a combination of design shortcoming and inadequate packaging. The design shortcoming is that the problematic end of the ribbon cable does not have tabs attached to the circuit board that engages the tabs sticking out the sides of the ribbon cable. The other end of the same ribbon cable has the tabs. The tabs serve to prevent the ribbon cable from being pulled out of its connector. The packaging issue is that the stalks are inserted in custom holes in foam in the shipping box, and the ribbon cable, which sticks out of the assembly, can be dislodged from the action of inserting or removing the L stalk from the shipping foam. I have reported my findings and recommendations to TesLaunch.

View attachment 1052075

Conclusion

It is glorious having a turn signal stalk again, and the gear shift via R stalk is a huge improvement over using swipes on the edge of the center display. I have no hesitation recommending this kit to anyone who is moderately mechanically inclined.
This post is incredibly helpful. I just ordered the kit and will be doing the install myself. Your tips and cautions are appreciated to the greatest extent!

Marc

Do you see any potential problem if I use an impact wrench to remove the center bolt?

Marc
I am definitely not an expert in this area, so these comments are probably worth less than what you paid for them.

I would have two areas of concern about using an impact wrench on the steering yoke/wheel bolt:
  1. Potential damage to the bearings on the steering column,
  2. Potential damage to the various switches, scroll wheels, etc in the steering yoke/wheel.
A Tesla is not a tractor. Treat it with care.

I am definitely not an expert in this area, so these comments are probably worth less than what you paid for them.

I would have two areas of concern about using an impact wrench on the steering yoke/wheel bolt:
  1. Potential damage to the bearings on the steering column,
  2. Potential damage to the various switches, scroll wheels, etc in the steering yoke/wheel.
A Tesla is not a tractor. Treat it with care.
Ok, thanks. I'll take a good look at it first.

Marc

Do you see any potential problem if I use an impact wrench to remove the center bolt?

Marc
That's what I used but installed with a torque wrench. At only 59 lb-ft it doesn't take much counter torque to hold the steering wheel.

Also, the shaft is indexed so you don't need to mark it. It can't be installed at a different angle.

More detailed write up later today.

I installed mine last week with my daughter shooting the entire installation on a gimbal. I haven't posted a review yet because I am having an issue which I'm hoping can be resolved but I'm not sure if it's just me or if there's really an issue. Before I get to that, I'll add some of my notes to @khorton 's install.

My installation didn't go as smoothly as the Teslalaunch video. In all, it took about 2 hours. If I were to repeat it, it could be done in 30 minutes now I know where the pitfalls are. Some of the pitfalls are skipped in the video. When I post mine, I'll leave them in because I think it will help folks get through it faster.

Fit and Finish

As previously mentioned, the upper column shroud doesn't quite match the stock color of the lower shroud exactly even thought it matches the back of the steering wheel better than stock.

20240521_152515.jpg_compressed (1).JPEG

The quality of the plastic for shroud is superior to the stock one in my opinion. It is very soft touch and feels way nicer than Tesla's part. It's very much like the soft touch plastic used in our 2007 Lexus before Lexus cheapened their interiors. I wish Tesla would make all their plastic parts like this.

I gave my feedback to Teslaunch last week about the color match and they're looking into the color match. Not a big deal. These things ca be very hard to match perfectly and I suspect it can't be done if you want to retain the soft touch quality that their part that the Tesla part lacks.

The stalks themselves appear to be stock M3 including all the labeling.

Installation

As previously mentioned, you MUST disconnect the HV and LV power before removing the airbag. It only takes about a minute which includes removing the middle cover under the hood that has the air vent near the windshield. I disconnected the LV and. then the first responder loop.

The airbag comes out easily by pushing a suitable tool into the two holes. You don't have to do them both at the same time. You can release one side and then the other. Be careful not to pus the airbag back in on the first side you release.

I did use cordless impact wrench to break the steering bolt loose. I'd estimate it was somewhere around 250 ft-lbs of torque to break the thread lock.

I had quite a time getting the wheel off. The installation video shows it easily sliding off. It will not come off that easily. It requires rocking back and fourth while pulling hard to finally work itself free.

Removing the top shroud - The service manual says you have to remove the the screen and a bunch of stuff on the main dash just to remove the top shroud around the steering column. It's totally not true and I'm not sure why the service manual includes an extra 3 hours of labor to remove stuff that isn't necessary.

Removing the top shroud from the lower shroud is harder than in the installation video. If you look carefully at the video, you can see there's already a space on the left side showing that the clips have already been released. It took quite a bit of force to release the clips. I thought about pushing my plast trip release tool into the space after looking at the same part on ebay from behind to see how the clips work but decide that it would mare the space between the cracks. Ultimately, I gave a good yank using my finger pressing in on the top left back of the stock shroud to get it to release. The right side released easily.

Careful on the lower shroud to not move it down more than necessary. I pulled mine away for more than needed and somehow ended up adding fold or something to the vinyl fabric. trim piece that hides the gab between the lower back shroud and the lower dash. When I put it all back together and adjusted the steering wheel all the way in, it ended up pulling 3 retaining clips that fasten this cloth with 3 slits on each side to the inside of the lower dash. I thought I'd broken something but it turned out to nothing. I did have to remove the knee airbag panel below the lower dash in order to fit the concealing fabric back on it's 3 tabs and the press the retaining clips back on. I feel like this is a little bit of a freak occurrence and unlikely to happen if you don't move the lower steering column shroud more than necessary.

The left turn stalk clips in without any screws.
The right PRND stalk requires two Torx screws. Someone previously said the screws weren't a standard Torx size but I did not find this to be true.

The Y CAN cable provided was a little different than the one we seen the video. The video shows a Y cable with equal length connectors. The provided cable unequal length connectors. One is very short. I used the sort side on the PRND stalk and the long one on the turn signal stalk.
The upper shroud replacement went on easily without any issues.

Function

As previously mentioned, there doesn't appear to be any difference between 1 and 2 clicks on the turn stalk. The M3 half detent triggers a 3 second temporary signal while a full up or down triggers until canceled or auto canceled. The question is does the software in the car know how to do the temporary mode. Is it a different function in the protocol? If missing from the S/X, the only way you could get it back would be to fake it the controller on the turn signal device itself and to send a cancel after 3 seconds.

They should come up with a variation for the 2024+ with the airbag horn. We'll all want the brights to activate when you pull back on the left stalk. It would be cool if these could be field upgradable.

I had my wife test drive it and she got very excited and said "It's like a REAL car now". This just goes to show how Musk's decision to go stalkless is very bad idea. I'm convinced some of Tesla's sales slowdown is not just because of interest rates. This is bolstered by the fact that I personally know over half dozen coworkers who swear the reason they're not ordering ANOTHER tesla is because of the lack of stalks.

The stalks don't bock the view of anything. The PRND stalk does overlap the display by about a half inch BUT both yoke and wheel already overlap the display in the same spot so the only thing you lose if if you have the yoke and it's turned to the right to NOT block the left edge of the display, then in that case the PRND stalk will block a tiny spot on the left side of the screen.

Other than that, the stalks perform and function just like you'd expect except for one issue which I alluded to in the beginning. Its the reason I've been holding the video review because if it's a solvable problem, I don't want to stick a video on Youtube showing an issue that might put off buyers especially if it's solvable either through firmware of just a device replacement.

So the issue I'm having and now posting here since others who have done the installation can either confirm happens or doesn't happen is the following:

About 15% of the time the stalk functions don't activate. So going into drive or reverse occasionally fails despite full pressing up or down on the stalk. Same with the turn signal which has a slightly more complicated behavior. When going half way, it fails to activate about 15% of the time. When going all the way, about 15% of the time it flashes once and then stops.

It seems unlikely that both stalks are malfunctioning in an individual failure since these are both independent devices that are on the CAN bus so the fact they are both doing the same thing tells me I either have problem with my car or there's some sort of timing issue in the protocol. I'm not an expert on Tesla's protocol but all devices on the 4 wire bus have to cooperate and that means occasionally failing to get an ack and then resend in ms time frames, if the controller in the stalk isn't handling retry responses are lack of ack, then it could be this. It could also just be a harry edge timing issue. Again, all complete speculation.

One last odd thing when I did the install. After I re-enabled LV/HV power, I got a warning that the drivers side DRL was not working and needed service. I checked and indeed it was off. I restarted the car and pulled all power too which made no difference and then repeated with the stalk cable unplugged. Still no difference. I realized that I'd probably have to remove the entire installation and return to stock because I know Tesla would blame any third party devices on their CAN connector for the problem. Fortunately, the next morning the problem vanished and the DRL was back on.
To be clear, I'm NOT blaming this product on that issue. I'm sure it was not related to the installation itself. It was probably a glitch related to removing all power but I don't think Tesla would agree as they like to blame anything they can including third party devices on their CAN.

@khorton , have you had ANY misses / failures to activate when using the stalks? I'm very curious.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
One last odd thing when I did the install. After I re-enabled LV/HV power, I got a warning that the drivers side DRL was not working and needed service. I checked and indeed it was off. I restarted the car and pulled all power too which made no difference and then repeated with the stalk cable unplugged. Still no difference. I realized that I'd probably have to remove the entire installation and return to stock because I know Tesla would blame any third party devices on their CAN connector for the problem. Fortunately, the next morning the problem vanished and the DRL was back on.
I've had that happen on my car a few times. Seems to only happen if I approach the car while it's asleep and get in too fast and trigger the DRLs to turn on before everything has finished waking up.

Other than that, the stalks perform and function just like you'd expect except for one issue which I alluded to in the beginning. Its the reason I've been holding the video review because if it's a solvable problem, I don't want to stick a video on Youtube showing an issue that might put off buyers especially if it's solvable either through firmware of just a device replacement.

So the issue I'm having and now posting here since others who have done the installation can either confirm happens or doesn't happen is the following:

About 15% of the time the stalk functions don't activate. So going into drive or reverse occasionally fails despite full pressing up or down on the stalk. Same with the turn signal which has a slightly more complicated behavior. When going half way, it fails to activate about 15% of the time. When going all the way, about 15% of the time it flashes once and then stops.

It seems unlikely that both stalks are malfunctioning in an individual failure since these are both independent devices that are on the CAN bus so the fact they are both doing the same thing tells me I either have problem with my car or there's some sort of timing issue in the protocol. I'm not an expert on Tesla's protocol but all devices on the 4 wire bus have to cooperate and that means occasionally failing to get an ack and then resend in ms time frames, if the controller in the stalk isn't handling retry responses are lack of ack, then it could be this. It could also just be a harry edge timing issue. Again, all complete speculation.

To be clear, I'm NOT blaming this product on that issue. I'm sure it was not related to the installation itself. It was probably a glitch related to removing all power but I don't think Tesla would agree as they like to blame anything they can including third party devices on their CAN.

@khorton , have you had ANY misses / failures to activate when using the stalks? I'm very curious.
I have had two occurrences where the turn signal failed to activate from the L stalk. In both cases I had very quickly pressed the L stalk to the first detent and immediately released. I concluded that there might possibly be a timing issue whereby a very short duration activation could be missed, either by the stalk software, or maybe by the car. After that, I made an effort to be slightly more deliberate in my stalk motions, to hold for a very short period before releasing it, and I have not had any failed activations since.

I have had two occurrences where the turn signal failed to activate from the L stalk. In both cases I had very quickly pressed the L stalk to the first detent and immediately released. I concluded that there might possibly be a timing issue whereby a very short duration activation could be missed, either by the stalk software, or maybe by the car. After that, I made an effort to be slightly more deliberate in my stalk motions, to hold for a very short period before releasing it, and I have not had any failed activations since.
Interesting. So doesn't sound like what I'm experiencing. In my case, it doesn't matter how fast or slow or far I do it and I get equal failures in both the turn and PRND stalk.

Just to clarify, you haven't had any PRND activation failures? If this is the case, then there's something unique to my setup that is not happening with yours.

Interesting. So doesn't sound like what I'm experiencing. In my case, it doesn't matter how fast or slow or far I do it and I get equal failures in both the turn and PRND stalk.

Just to clarify, you haven't had any PRND activation failures? If this is the case, then there's something unique to my setup that is not happening with yours.
I have not yet had any PRND failures. I'll try to do a bunch of testing the next time I go for a drive - I'll make a bunch of PRND selections to give the system a good workout.

I installed mine last week with my daughter shooting the entire installation on a gimbal. I haven't posted a review yet because I am having an issue which I'm hoping can be resolved but I'm not sure if it's just me or if there's really an issue. Before I get to that, I'll add some of my notes to @khorton 's install.

My installation didn't go as smoothly as the Teslalaunch video. In all, it took about 2 hours. If I were to repeat it, it could be done in 30 minutes now I know where the pitfalls are. Some of the pitfalls are skipped in the video. When I post mine, I'll leave them in because I think it will help folks get through it faster.

Fit and Finish

As previously mentioned, the upper column shroud doesn't quite match the stock color of the lower shroud exactly even thought it matches the back of the steering wheel better than stock.

View attachment 1052845

The quality of the plastic for shroud is superior to the stock one in my opinion. It is very soft touch and feels way nicer than Tesla's part. It's very much like the soft touch plastic used in our 2007 Lexus before Lexus cheapened their interiors. I wish Tesla would make all their plastic parts like this.

I gave my feedback to Teslaunch last week about the color match and they're looking into the color match. Not a big deal. These things ca be very hard to match perfectly and I suspect it can't be done if you want to retain the soft touch quality that their part that the Tesla part lacks.

The stalks themselves appear to be stock M3 including all the labeling.

Installation

As previously mentioned, you MUST disconnect the HV and LV power before removing the airbag. It only takes about a minute which includes removing the middle cover under the hood that has the air vent near the windshield. I disconnected the LV and. then the first responder loop.

The airbag comes out easily by pushing a suitable tool into the two holes. You don't have to do them both at the same time. You can release one side and then the other. Be careful not to pus the airbag back in on the first side you release.

I did use cordless impact wrench to break the steering bolt loose. I'd estimate it was somewhere around 250 ft-lbs of torque to break the thread lock.

I had quite a time getting the wheel off. The installation video shows it easily sliding off. It will not come off that easily. It requires rocking back and fourth while pulling hard to finally work itself free.

Removing the top shroud - The service manual says you have to remove the the screen and a bunch of stuff on the main dash just to remove the top shroud around the steering column. It's totally not true and I'm not sure why the service manual includes an extra 3 hours of labor to remove stuff that isn't necessary.

Removing the top shroud from the lower shroud is harder than in the installation video. If you look carefully at the video, you can see there's already a space on the left side showing that the clips have already been released. It took quite a bit of force to release the clips. I thought about pushing my plast trip release tool into the space after looking at the same part on ebay from behind to see how the clips work but decide that it would mare the space between the cracks. Ultimately, I gave a good yank using my finger pressing in on the top left back of the stock shroud to get it to release. The right side released easily.

Careful on the lower shroud to not move it down more than necessary. I pulled mine away for more than needed and somehow ended up adding fold or something to the vinyl fabric. trim piece that hides the gab between the lower back shroud and the lower dash. When I put it all back together and adjusted the steering wheel all the way in, it ended up pulling 3 retaining clips that fasten this cloth with 3 slits on each side to the inside of the lower dash. I thought I'd broken something but it turned out to nothing. I did have to remove the knee airbag panel below the lower dash in order to fit the concealing fabric back on it's 3 tabs and the press the retaining clips back on. I feel like this is a little bit of a freak occurrence and unlikely to happen if you don't move the lower steering column shroud more than necessary.

The left turn stalk clips in without any screws.
The right PRND stalk requires two Torx screws. Someone previously said the screws weren't a standard Torx size but I did not find this to be true.

The Y CAN cable provided was a little different than the one we seen the video. The video shows a Y cable with equal length connectors. The provided cable unequal length connectors. One is very short. I used the sort side on the PRND stalk and the long one on the turn signal stalk.
The upper shroud replacement went on easily without any issues.

Function

As previously mentioned, there doesn't appear to be any difference between 1 and 2 clicks on the turn stalk. The M3 half detent triggers a 3 second temporary signal while a full up or down triggers until canceled or auto canceled. The question is does the software in the car know how to do the temporary mode. Is it a different function in the protocol? If missing from the S/X, the only way you could get it back would be to fake it the controller on the turn signal device itself and to send a cancel after 3 seconds.

They should come up with a variation for the 2024+ with the airbag horn. We'll all want the brights to activate when you pull back on the left stalk. It would be cool if these could be field upgradable.

I had my wife test drive it and she got very excited and said "It's like a REAL car now". This just goes to show how Musk's decision to go stalkless is very bad idea. I'm convinced some of Tesla's sales slowdown is not just because of interest rates. This is bolstered by the fact that I personally know over half dozen coworkers who swear the reason they're not ordering ANOTHER tesla is because of the lack of stalks.

The stalks don't bock the view of anything. The PRND stalk does overlap the display by about a half inch BUT both yoke and wheel already overlap the display in the same spot so the only thing you lose if if you have the yoke and it's turned to the right to NOT block the left edge of the display, then in that case the PRND stalk will block a tiny spot on the left side of the screen.

Mine is on the way. I just wanted to mention that the only thing I don't like about this car (my 3rd S) is it's lack of a turn signal stalk. Over the years I've complained about plenty of drivers that don't use their turn signals and with this car I found myself in that same group. I just can't find the damn buttons without looking down or if I'm already in a turn so I just don't use them and have been pissed at myself in the process. If this successfully fixes that issue I will be one happy camper. I'm really looking forward to your video. Thanks to all for posting. This REALLY helps :)

Marc