Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The whole reason I bought a Tesla was to use basic autopilot on most roads. Looks like I’ll stick with software version 2023.38 for the foreseeable future…
It's doubtful this will be optional when it rolls out, there were probably requirements mandated in terms of software updates and Tesla being able to reasonably force cars to update when there are safety-sensitive software recalls

I imagine the only way to dodge it is cut your car off from connectivity entirely -- OTA updates will end up being a boon for regulators @ allowing greater control over the auto fleet

Sounds like FSDb won't be impacted since it is designed to operate on almost all roads. This will only impact regular AP. I suspect Tesla will disallow use on all roads that are not controlled access.

This will be a big negative for AP1 vehicles, which might push some to opt for newer FSDb capable models. So this recall could be perceived as a win for Tesla because they can greatly reduce functionality of older vehicles and blame it on the NHTSA ruling. Without this ruling, Tesla would just piss off a ton of customers if they rolled out the same update.

So my guess is Tesla takes full advantage of this "opportunity" to reduce AP functionality on older cars as much as possible. I wouldn't keep my AP1 vehicle if they disabled AP on normal roads. Lane centering and speed control are better on my AP1 vehicle than they are on my FSDb vehicle.

I'm in Canada, so I assume not affected by this (for now) unless Tesla chooses to do our fleet as well since we could drive across the border and be on US roads.

That said, this part of the letter I found the most interesting bit. It appears no Teslas can be sold or delivered with Autopilot able to be engaged until there is a software recall performed on the vehicles. This will really mess up a lot of people's plans for taking delivery of M3s with the big discounts before Highlands arrive, and those who were doing the upgrade to a new car and keeping their lifetime free charging, which, IIRC, had a Dec 31 deadline.

Please be reminded that under 49 U.S.C. § 30112(a)(3), it is illegal for a manufacturer, to sell, offer for sale, import, orintroduce or deliver into interstate commerce, a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment that contains a safetydefect once the manufacturer has notified NHTSA about that safety defect. This prohibition does not apply once themotor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment has been remedied according to the manufacturer's instructions.

From link:
The software update apparently will limit where Autosteer can be used.

People reading to deeply into this... obviously by design. Here's my take, from some experience.

All this means is that it will no longer be able to drive by itself in our cul de sac - without a driver present. Yes, all the way to the stop sign. It's been a while since I tested this, but this type of slip through the system is what I suspect is being fixed here.

Why are people jumping to conclude that geo-fencing is cutting off our access to some roads? The car is geo-fenced all over the place... every single parking lot. And if they do limit to some roads, let it be based road-worthiness or in municipalities that don't cooperate perhaps - but I would expect this on full release not Beta.

Buy the DIP ;)

Reactions: navguy12 and unk45
Sounds like FSDb won't be impacted since it is designed to operate on almost all roads. This will only impact regular AP. I suspect Tesla will disallow use on all roads that are not controlled access.

This will be a big negative for AP1 vehicles, which might push some to opt for newer FSDb capable models. So this recall could be perceived as a win for Tesla because they can greatly reduce functionality of older vehicles and blame it on the NHTSA ruling. Without this ruling, Tesla would just piss off a ton of customers if they rolled out the same update.

So my guess is Tesla takes full advantage of this "opportunity" to reduce AP functionality on older cars as much as possible. I wouldn't keep my AP1 vehicle if they disabled AP on normal roads. Lane centering and speed control are better on my AP1 vehicle than they are on my FSDb vehicle.
Everything is good for Tesla if you just think about it hard enough

So we can expect to have to interact MORE with the car just so it stays in auto pilot? I think its over intrusive currently! The amount of input I have to put into the steering, just so it stay in auto pilot, on a smooth straight road is to much in my opinion. We already lost the ability to remotely close our windows over stupid people. From what I recall, statistically speaking, the Tesla FSD & AP have a MUCH LOWER accident to miles driven ratio than human drivers already!

So we can expect to have to interact MORE with the car just so it stays in auto pilot? I think its over intrusive currently! The amount of input I have to put into the steering, just so it stay in auto pilot, on a smooth straight road is to much in my opinion. We already lost the ability to remotely close our windows over stupid people. From what I recall, statistically speaking, the Tesla FSD & AP have a MUCH LOWER accident to miles driven ratio than human drivers already!
The remote closing of windows came back.

But, yes, the camera will used just like FSD Beta is and there will be a suspension period. It's out of Tesla's hands and people blaming AP on their wrecks are to blame.

Likely because your car had inadequate window sensors or you are behind on updates. It came back in my MYs and 22 MS.

Now I can have the windows close after locking the doors, again.
Like I said, lost because stupid people cant be expected not to stick their heads in open windows. Gotta make sure we protect all the stupid people. Just like the big "HOT" labels all over a cup of coffee.

AP1 cars had autosteer, yes. Cars capable of it were built as early as Sept 2014, though the autosteer feature didn't appear for another year.
Autosteer was enabled on my 2014 P85D in mid-2015 (I do not recall the date). At the time I downloaded the update in Columbus, Ohio and immediately drove to Miami, FL using the new capability. Back then it was truly amazing to use and even in that primitive form managed to survive some construction areas around Cincinnati, Ohio.

FWIW, I've paid for that on my two other Tesla's too. It has constantly improved, but only with the latest updates has seemed to approach the promise of version 12. OTOH, only a fool could mistake the present capabilities as autonomous, or neglect to be very diligent.

As a former active pilot (ATP with a few type ratings) I have had several times when the autopilot failed, including one in a Learjet at FL410, where use of the autopilot was mandatory due to high altitude instability. I survived. So did the airplane although i soon transitioned to a single pilot easier to control plane.

The regulatory regime that blames the OEM for operator error is similar to that of the early Learjets which crashed with alarming regularity (check learjet 23 history) which in turn ended out spawning the type rating system. That, in my view, was a GOOD thing. I taught a good many people to fly those things, which made them safer even when flying airliners and Citations, both built to be flown by nearly incompetent people. We will end out with FSD similar to current generation Fly-by-wire Airbus/Dassault and even the Boeing 777/787 (excluding the fossilized B737 of course).

In automobile operation almost every country neglects driver training and none, I think, have any standard at all for automobile operation apart from a handful that differentiate between manual gear change and automatic. Some of that training would be worthwhile IMHO.

Going back to 2015 our own @Papfox opined on this subject in brilliant form:

Would it not benefit everyone by teaching drivers how to avoid the 'lowest common denominator' approach now in place? It will not happen.of course, but it should! Soon, though, we'll have genuine Level 4 and Level 5 automobiles. Then it will not matter any more.