Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m with you. There’s really not much to be gained for us AP1 (and pre-AP) owners. There could be a point in the future where McU 2 gets some features that make it worthwhile. But nothing compelling now.
Having MCU1 in my P85 and MCU2 I’m my 85 I can tell you the processor speed alone is enough for me to favor driving the older car with MCU2. If the P85 wasn’t still under warranty, I’d go ahead and upgrade that one also. It really is like comparing an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 11; they both will get the job done but the old one is just not cut out for the demands of the newer software.

I'm as big as a Tesla fanboy as they come, service included... While I agree that upgrades are new, writing service tickets is something they've got tons of experience with.

... I'm legitimately curious how they have the wild variation in building these estimates/tickets. Yes, there's human interaction to read the service request to decide which job needs to be done. From there, it should be selecting a specific job in their system, with parts and labor already built, specific to the VIN of the requesting customer. We used to have a hard copy book for this, now it's all built in a database. This job is 100 years old, and its been done with software for at least the last 30... and this estimate is a single part number.

Everything you said is correct. I agree with all. And I don't think you meant to leave anything out. But it doesn't account for the famous or infamous "trainee" usually standing in front of us representing every/any company. I have a family member that used to be a multi-store manager for McDonald's back in the very early 70's, He used to come home cussing about "new counter people can't add and don't collect enough money". McDonald's was still using a paper order/receipt. The counter help used the noggins' and fingers to add 3 hamburgers and two fries and two shakes to get $1.65 total and they could not add it up. In those days, we didn't have the $5.99 calculators to help. He worked with McD's long enough to see them bring in those push-button no-number cash registers. Just push for a burger or fries. That was partly because the "trainees" couldn't add. So still seeing inexperienced - but well meaning receptionist or less than seasoned service advisors are not the exception but are always going to be some of the first people we see at the front door. Us old folks only remember the way things were, we've already forgot what happened there last week. :)

Last edited:
I recognize this is only sort of related to this thread, but I have a late 16 Model S 75 with FSD. AP2.0, MCU1. Literally no options on my car...solid roof, the low end seats, you get the drill. I am sorry of curious what people think about this, and any thoughts on it are appreciated in advance...

I am debating between buying this MCU2.0 upgrade which will also get AP3 for about $2800, or trading the S to the Model Y without FSD for about $11,000 out the door.

Model S has just under 40K miles, and is CPO warrantied until 68K miles.

As I see it, pros to Model S:
Cooler looking car. Has FSD already. I think I like the two screens, but would probably get used to one. Less expensive to keep/upgrade the S. Free supercharging (I use it sometimes, not a ton.). Free premium connectivity for life.

Cons to S. At 90% charge, I get about 207 miles on the screen, somewhat less in real life. (The extra range of the Y is probably the biggest draw of all.). Slightly more expensive to insure than a new Y (which surprised me a little).

Pros to Y:
Supposed to be 316 miles on the screen, probably more like 200 in reality. Feels like better space. (I have a 2 year old and a car seat that just seems to fit better.). New car, no miles. Comes with a better sound system than what I have, and that is kind of nice for me. Already has MCU2. Less expensive insurance.

Cons to Y:
FSD is not included in my calculation, and I may wait or never add it to the Y.

Anyone out there that has had this debate in their head? Am I nuts to trade my S?

I recognize this is only sort of related to this thread, but I have a late 16 Model S 75 with FSD. AP2.0, MCU1. Literally no options on my car...solid roof, the low end seats, you get the drill. I am sorry of curious what people think about this, and any thoughts on it are appreciated in advance...

I am debating between buying this MCU2.0 upgrade which will also get AP3 for about $2800, or trading the S to the Model Y without FSD for about $11,000 out the door.

Cooler looking car. Has FSD already. I think I like the two screens, but would probably get used to one. Less expensive to keep/upgrade the S. Free supercharging (I use it sometimes, not a ton.). Free premium connectivity for life.

Cons to S. At 90% charge, I get about 207 miles on the screen, somewhat less in real life. (The extra range of the Y is probably the biggest draw of all.). Slightly more expensive to insure than a new Y (which surprised me a little).

Pros to Y:
Supposed to be 316 miles on the screen, probably more like 200 in reality. Feels like better space. (I have a 2 year old and a car seat that just seems to fit better.). New car, no miles. Comes with a better sound system than what I have, and that is kind of nice for me. Already has MCU2. Less expensive insurance.

Cons to Y:

Anyone out there that has had this debate in their head? Am I nuts to trade my S?
If you can trade for $11k, that is really only $8.5k when you consider the MCU. Trade it. I believe my supercharging amounts to saving me a couple hundred a year. In 5 years, your MS will be worth $15-20k likely. Your Model Y will likely be worth well over $30k.

Last Friday's (July 24th) 2020.24.6.11 update on my MCU1 in my 2015 P85D+ DOES seem to have cured the previous "freezing browser" issue. Tesla WAZE has run flawlessly for a couple of days now... without freezing like before, causing the sounds to stop (turn signals go silent, XLive / Slacker stops working, etc.). The browser even works when I close the browser app, go to another app like Navigation, Settings, etc... and then reopen the browser.

I'm VERY happy about this. Definitely lowers my interest on the $2,500 + sales tax MCU2 upgrade, especially with all the issues and delays other MCU1 TMC members have posted here.

I'm driving to several destinations today and will know more this afternoon.

Well I celebrated too soon. Yesterday Tesla WAZE wouldn't load at all and my 2015 P85D's MCU1 was sluggish again. Did a steering wheel reboot and Tesla WAZE returned... but a while later my MCU1 display became sluggish AGAIN... then my music streaming started hiccuping and my turn signals went silent. AAAARRRRGGGGHHH

Tried it again in my garage with full bars of 2.4Ghz WiFi and MCU1 browser sluggish again. #$*&!

Looks like I have to spend $2,500 to get my P85D's browser off Quaaludes. Definitely will be worth the frustration elimination.

Does the MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrade also provide 5.0Ghz WiFi ?

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Well I celebrated too soon. Yesterday Tesla WAZE wouldn't load at all and my 2015 P85D's MCU1 was sluggish again. Did a steering wheel reboot and Tesla WAZE returned... but a while later my MCU1 display became sluggish AGAIN... then my music streaming started hiccuping and my turn signals went silent. AAAARRRRGGGGHHH

Tried it again in my garage with full bars of 2.4Ghz WiFi and MCU1 browser sluggish again. #$*&!

Looks like I have to spend $2,500 to get my P85D's browser off Quaaludes. Definitely will be worth the frustration elimination.

Does the MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrade also provide 5.0Ghz WiFi ?
Yes it adds 5.0Ghz WiFi support.

I had my MCU reboot randomly, (Spotify) music playing issues, etc. And thought this was eMMC anniversary coming up. I brought it to service, they did a log analysis and are telling me that the caching folder was full and wasn’t probably erased - bug. So they deleted it and applied a FW upgrade that, it seems, fixed that bug.

I’m mentioning this in that thread as it seems some odd behaviors some are observing might not be related to eMMC (yet), but to this other bug. Possibly.

Reactions: BrokerDon

Pros to Y:

Cons to Y:

Keep Model S and retrofit mcu2, let's be honest, S has its own luxury component which Y don't have.

dashcam and Mp3 can work in the S retrofitted car from MCU1/AP2--> MCU2/AP3! *(though not sure is this part of MCU2 or AP3 I'm not sure - someone will correct me - my guess it's more to do with AP3). This is great...A new feature! I'm using this hub and threaded it from underneath where the phone charger comes up and into the USB slot - underneath I plugged in a couple of sandisk ultrafit thumbdrives (one for teslacam and one for music). (I know I should go with an SSD setup - well I will try this for now and maybe later try that - at least in the 3 it seems AP3 is more tolerant of USB thumbdrives than AP2.5 was). I like using 2 drives so I can just format USB from the menu if there's a dashcam issue.

Overall, Looks slick with only the usb plugged in much as the phone charger was. (which I don't use so I removed that cord - as that charger never worked with my case). In the remaining USB I have my charging cable that I've had all along.

Last edited:
@cybergates, try to find a lighter/power plug adapter to power your charger. And use the hub on the USB ports to talk to the car. AND, add an unformatted small capacity in a USB port. It won't record, but it will serve as a decoy if someone finds their way into your car. Give them something to find and they won't look beyond. Your media and recordings are safe because you let them find something easy.

Everything you said is correct. I agree with all. And I don't think you meant to leave anything out. But it doesn't account for the famous or infamous "trainee" usually standing in front of us representing every/any company. I have a family member that used to be a multi-store manager for McDonald's back in the very early 70's, He used to come home cussing about "new counter people can't add and don't collect enough money". McDonald's was still using a paper order/receipt. The counter help used the noggins' and fingers to add 3 hamburgers and two fries and two shakes to get $1.65 total and they could not add it up. In those days, we didn't have the $5.99 calculators to help. He worked with McD's long enough to see them bring in those push-button no-number cash registers. Just push for a burger or fries. That was partly because the "trainees" couldn't add. So still seeing inexperienced - but well-meaning receptionist or less than seasoned service advisors are not the exception but are always going to be some of the first people we see at the front door. Us old folks only remember the way things were, we've already forgot what happened there last week. :)
Lowest common denominator... welcome to Idiocracy. :cool:

So I have now had the MCU2 update for three weeks. It is such a pleasure not to have to fight the car anymore. No MCU slowdowns, no reboots, no phone connectivity issues; everything just works now. The only problem I have had was a thumb drive that got bricked recording dashcam footage, but this was at least a 10-year-old thumb drive that should have never really been used. I just had it quickly available. I have now gone to an SSD and should never have to worry about it for the remaining life of the car.

I have not regretted the expense one bit and would do it all again in an instant. If you are on the fence and plan to have this car for the next several years, just jump off!