Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Finance told me to wait 5-8 weeks to transfer my lease?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I leased tesla model 3 this August and wanted to transfer my lease.

Someone on Leasetrader wanted to take over my lease and we did some paperwork/ requested credit application.

Tesla Finance told him that they needed to find a title and it will take 5-8 weeks.

Is it normal for a newly-leased Tesla?? No one wants to wait 5-8 weeks to take over someone's lease. It sounds ridicluous

Someone on Leasetrader wanted to take over my lease and we did some paperwork/ requested credit application.

Tesla Finance told him that they needed to find a title and it will take 5-8 weeks.

Is it normal for a newly-leased Tesla?? No one wants to wait 5-8 weeks to take over someone's lease. It sounds ridicluous

So if you just filed the lease in August, it's entirely possible the titling paperwork hasn't come back from the DMV wherever you live. Tesla probably sat on it for a few weeks, submitted in a batch, and then DMV processes it whenever they process it and sends it back to the leasing company (which isn't Tesla) ... then they sit on it, enter the information whenever they get around to it, then notify Tesla, who then sits around on it till it gets entered on their side.

Yeah, I can see 5-8 weeks. And to be fair, none of those are usually "time critical" operations.

Not saying it's optimal, but neither is flipping a 1-2 month old lease.

Submitted transfer request September 11, was able to select September 23 (no less than 7 days) as transfer day from app, only to find out that it would be much longer, 6 - 8 weeks. Just about a week ago, was advised via email from Tesla Finance of finally being able to transfer October 24th. So, unfortunately it does take an extended period of time. Was informed that they have to wait for a title. Possibly, from a vendor and or, then Motor Vehicle. I am located in NJ.

Figured I'd just bump this existing thread.

I'm about ready to get out of our leased Tesla, there's some amount due for an early termination (it's been as low as $0 and as high as $7K). It's not a ton, and the hassle may be well worth just paying and returning to Tesla (we have a SC about 30 minutes away).

Are the wait times still about the same? Like the OP, I'm concerned about the process taking that long, for a "buyer" (umm, transferee? :D), to have an 8 week wait, while I just keep the car parked? Insured?

Just wondering if anyone has any additional experience with this process before I post about offering a transfer. It would be a great deal for someone, '21 M3P with 8K miles, 19 months left, for just $625/month, but that hassle-factor may be a deal breaker.

I’m in the process of working with a “buyer” about taking over my M3 lease as I look for an SUV for us. On the app the process states 7 days and that the transfer date is next Monday. It doesn’t state anywhere it’ll take any longer, however when we contacted the finance CS, they stated it’ll take months(8 weeks). No other leasing company takes this long, and no buyer would wait 8 weeks to have a car sit in the garage while I pay the insurance and payment. Is there anything you guys have done to speed it up? Is there any other process I can do?(separate legal contract?)